Atlanta ING Marathon

where to run in Atlanta (Read 373 times)

Hello, I'd like to first introduce myself. I'm a 48 year old runner whose run off and on for awhile. I'm currently training for my first Marathon in April. I usually post over in the Masters group. I'll be staying in Atlanta for about a week later this month and will be needing to get in a couple of runs. I'm not at all familiar with Atlanta, but will be staying at the Marriot Buckhead...I believe that's downtown??? I'd like to get your suggestions for a 6 mile route and a 9 mile route preferrably from the hotel or somewhere close by. Please,,,any suggestions? Thanks
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

I can't help with specific suggestions, as I won't have been in Atlanta for a run until the end of March. My only other trip there consisted of a single night to watch a track meet before driving back to new york. If you go to the running maps section (click find routes up above) and enter Atlanta, GA, then there are at least a dozen or so public runs listed. See which ones are near your hotel.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

Until someone with a better knowledge answers, I'll pitch in. The Buckhead area is about 5 miles north of downtown Atlanta, it's a high-rent district, lots of businesses, restaurants, upscale malls and nightclubs. It's also the start of the Peachtree Road Race. Unfortunately I don't think it's a very good place to run, all freeways and busy streets. If you have a car you could drive to the park that runs along the Chattahoochee River, I've heard that's nice. Also, you're close to Big Peach Running Company, a very popular runner's store, I'm sure they could guide you.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

thanks RTW and Perfesser...I took a look at the maps and the only ones listed in the area is the peachtree road race. I may have get to use the treadmill. thanks for the replies.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Just depending which nights you are at the Marriott Buckhead there are group runs from the Big Peach Running Company, I think on Wednesday's around 6:00pm. Big Peach Running Company is going to be about a mile North of where you are staying in the Cherokee Plaza Shopping Center. Give them a call when you arrive in Atlanta and they can give you some pretty good ideas as to routes in the area. The problem with trying to run the Peachtree Road Race route from your hotel right now is that the sidewalks are torn up in parts due to construction so you have to keep crossing the street to run. Also try www.atlantatrackclub.org and check out the various running groups. There are several that run from Big Peach as well as other locales reasonably close to you. As always be careful when running in Atlanta. The Buckhead area is very heavily travelled and drivers simply aren't always looking out for runners and/or cyclists. Even when you are in a crosswalk. It's not bad, just you do have to watch out for some drivers.
            USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010
              Just depending which nights you are at the Marriott Buckhead there are group runs from the Big Peach Running Company, I think on Wednesday's around 6:00pm. Big Peach Running Company is going to be about a mile North of where you are staying in the Cherokee Plaza Shopping Center. Give them a call when you arrive in Atlanta and they can give you some pretty good ideas as to routes in the area. The problem with trying to run the Peachtree Road Race route from your hotel right now is that the sidewalks are torn up in parts due to construction so you have to keep crossing the street to run. Also try www.atlantatrackclub.org and check out the various running groups. There are several that run from Big Peach as well as other locales reasonably close to you. As always be careful when running in Atlanta. The Buckhead area is very heavily travelled and drivers simply aren't always looking out for runners and/or cyclists. Even when you are in a crosswalk. It's not bad, just you do have to watch out for some drivers.
              GaReb....thanks alot. I'll give BPRC a call. That sounds like it might work out. I"m not much on running in traffic. I do virtually all my runs on a closed course thats open only to pedestrians. So I'll really need to be on the look out. Thanks again.
                Hopefully this info is not too late for you! There is a good book that was recently published that describes lots of running trails in downtown Atlanta, and in its suburbs. Check it out here: Atlanta Running Guide I have a copy and have used it for creating good routes near where I live. Good luck!
                  Frowzy and others, thanks alot for your replies. And thanks for the book suggestion. I've got a line on 4 different running groups that meet and run in close proximity to where I'll be staying. I plan on getting in touch with them to firm up the meeting times etc. I've always run solo, per se, and am looking foward to meeting some Georgianites...Georgonians...er, people from Georgia to run with for a couple days. Thanks again!
                    A HUGE thankyou to those that pointed me in the right direction about where to run in Atlanta. Your willingness to help me find some runs resulted in a couple of the most memorable runs I've ever had! The entire experience was just incredible! THANK YOU!