Atlanta ING Marathon

What did you think of the finish? (Read 251 times)

I did not like the corral-like maze-like finish. Why did they do that? I much prefer a wide finish where you can see the finish line well in advance.
    dgtray

The tight turns were difficult, but they had to make the change due to the damage to the Omni Hotel. The original plan was to finish on Marietta and then turn into Centennial Park. However, the road is closed since there is still a danger of falling glass. They also had to modify the start for the same reason. They didn't want the race to have a left turn after a couple of hundred yards, but didn't have a choice. I work downtown, but not near the damaged areas. I was amazed on Friday when I walked to the dome to pick up my packet and saw how bad things looked 2 weeks later.

2012 Races: Galveston 2/5, St. Louis 4/15, Fort Collins 5/6, Woodrow Wilson Bridge Run 10/7

Imminent Catastrophe

I think they did the best they could under the circumstances. Actually it was kind of nice, you could see your friends approaching, then walk over to the finish line to watch or take photos. MTA: Of course, that crazy finish line cost frowzy a BQ, by one second! Ouch.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The thing I liked least about the finish was the bricks. What I liked least after that was having to wade through the walkers for 5 miles. For the most part it wasn't a big deal, but there were at least a half dozen instances where 4 or 5 would be walking abreast and all of them would have their heads buried in headphones and wouldn't know I was there. Thankfully, I didn't care about my time but if I was racing rather than treating it as a training run it would have really bothered me. I did make a rookie mistake of stopping before the finish. Again, didn't bother me too much. I managed to accomplish exactly what I set out to do, and I was apparently in exactly the kind of shape that I expected to be at this point in the year.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)