Atlanta ING Marathon

Training (Read 354 times)

...---...

Hi All, Glad to see others joining this group. For those of you who know the basic course lay out of the ATL half (or anyone who's done a half before) - any suggestions you have for me in preparing for this race is appreciated. Yesterday, I went out feeling good and bit off a little more than I could chew. I shouldn't have tried to put two 5 miles days in back-to-back...at least not at my level...so I'll take today off, walk tomorrow, and then go out Friday for 2 or 3 miles. This weekend, for my long run, I probably should probably shoot for 5.5 miles and ease my mileage up. As a result of pounding out 2 hard days, I think I agitated my right shin which had not been giving me any problems for 4 weeks now...thought I was out of the woods. Oh, and happy new year!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

There are several free 1/2 marathon programs on the internet but my two favorite tend to be www.halhigdon.com and http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html. (You may have to cut and paste these into your web brower - I'm not sure why I can't get links to work on this site). Higdon's is a 12 week program. He has programs for novice, intermediate and advanced users. I've read fairly consistent good reviews from people who have used his training schedule. Galloway's is probably a little longer and incorporates walk breaks. Although using walk breaks will slow you down just a little, they give your leg muscles more time to recover as they shift the way your muscles are used in a run and permit you to expand your distance with little chance of injury. I use Galloway sometimes in my 1/2 marathons but always in my full marathons. When I ran the Atlanta 1/2 this year I passed the 2:30 Galloway group (about 5 runners) doing 3 min run/1 min walk. They came in right on target and were only 12 minutes behind me. Good luck.
      USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010

...---...

Running for me, in my earlier years, was an exercise in suffering...then I discovered Galloway. The walk break routine got me off the couch and back into running...I don't walk as much as the 3/1 ratio right now but I love this approach of taking little breaks. I'm sold on Galloway's approach and am currently using this method, in a 7 run/ 1 walk ratio, for this HM. I'll check out Higdon. Although I may not be strong enough to run a complete half with out breaks, it's something I'd like to work up to...but not a priority for me. PS - Clemson man here. Always glad to meet another ACC guy. WHat do you think about the new coach and Gailey's departure?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I use 5/1 or 6/1 in my marathons. Last year at the Warner Robins AFB 1/2 Marathon I did 8/1's and finished in 1:47. When I took my first walk break a guy patted me on the head and said, "Don't worry, you can do it." I passed him about 3 minutes into my next running segment and never did see him again. I think Paul Johnson is just what Georgia Tech needs. Chan Gailey simply was not a college coach and quite frankly was a bad hire from the start. I don't know of any GT fan that was not happy to see him go, although he had his defenders on one of the Tech fan boards. I have club level season tickets for Tech football and travel to Clemson when we play y'all. At Clemson my tickets are way up there in the stratosphere around row MM. I love ACC sports.
          USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010

...---...

Nice finish time of 1:47! I'm not seting big goals...any goals really, other than to finish my 1st HM in 2:30 or better. Next year when the game is back in Clemson, you can come sit with me down in the lower bowl across from the student section. My neighbor's are cordial to visiting team fans and my brother hardly ever uses the other ticket. Va Tech tonight. Hope they can show Kansas a good game.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12