A-Z Recipes

Roasted Red Pepper, Wine and Red Lentil Soup - very good! (Read 264 times)

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

1 tbsp olive oil

2 large carrots, thinly sliced

1 med. yellow onion, chopped (I used 1 shallot)

1 1/2 tsp. jamaican jerk seasoning (I used Emeril's Bayou Blast cajun seasoning)

3/4 c. dry red lentils

1 c. dry white wine (I used 2009 Tangent sauvignon blanc)

1 c. water*

2 c. roasted red pepper soup (I used Pacific roasted red pepper and tomato soup)

- Saute carrots, onion & seasoning in oil (2 min)

- Stir in lentils to coat with oil

- Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 min.

- Stir in soup; boil.

- Cover; simmer 15 min or until tender

I made a few changes as noted above. I don't like onion so I used a shallot. I didn't have jerk seasoning but did have cajun seasoning. The recipe called for a dry white wine like Chablis but I wanted to buy something I would drink and the Tangent Sav Blanc I used is only $12.99 and is a pretty good bottle of wine. I also couldn't find just a roasted red pepper soup so I used the roasted red pepper and tomato soup - I think it worked great. I also added 2 pinches of kosher salt and some black pepper.

*I pretty much cooked everything per the recipe except I had forgotten to write down when to add the water. I stirred in the wine and after about 3 min. the lentils had absorbed quite a bit of the liquid so I added the 1 c. of water at that point and it worked just fine.

I really like this soup - probably one of my most favorite new recipes. It doesn't make a ton (which is good for me) so if you have a big family or want leftovers you should consider doubling the recipe.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!