Beginners and Beyond

Tucson Marathon RR... my debut marathon with pics in living color! (Read 120 times)

Zelanie

Jack, what a great job you did out there!  You were super consistent with your training, and it really paid off here.

Those splits are a thing of beauty, man!  You should have them framed.  I know that I really need to work on continuing to push at the end of a race when my legs are getting tired, and it looks like you have the mental part of that game down cold.  Love the photos, too, they came out great!

And finally, what a special present from Cherie!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Excellent performance, especially on your debut.  Congrats!!

Damaris

Bin Running

Awesome, Jack.. Beautifully executed.. Loved the pics, esp the "come on"

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Antipodean

Impressive start to your marathon career. Did I misread it or was your last full mile the fastest of the lot? What a spectacular debut! What's the secret to avoiding the notorious death march?

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Goorun

First I absolutely love the painting of your DD by She Can. What a gift.

It is very hard to execute the first marathon the way you did it. It is actually very hard to execute any marathon this well.

You really listen to advises from people you mentioned, you followed your plan, but were open to suggestions for changes and trusted the guidance.

You ran an ideal race in a less than ideal conditions.

Anybody who followed your training and now this RR could learn from it.

Well done Brad and I guarantee, that you have an even faster race in you.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

LRB

Not only was it cold, it was very, very windy. I mean it was windy, so windy in fact that it was whistling at times. Very windy.

So tell us, was it windy at your race?  lol

Your DD's pic was done by a pro, twice!  That is some serious talent right there.  Cherie did an incredible job!

Your early morning sacrifices paid off big time!  So you had your cake, and got to eat it too.  Now go eat some more!

Speaking of eating, 3,347 calories?  When I read that two things came to mind; pizza and wine!

That first race pic is one of the best I have ever seen!

Congrats on an all around incredible marathon debut.  I think those first two miles impress me the most!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Talk about delayed gratification. Sounds like the year's wait was well worth it.  That's a fantastic way to end an outstanding year of racing.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Baboon

delicate flower

Great job racin', Klompus!  Fantastic execution.  There are plenty of folks who have run lots of marathons and have not been able to execute one as well as you just did.  Very impressive.  Congratulations on nailing that BQ your first time out.  I really, really hope I'm able to meet you in Boston in 2015.  Good call on wearing gloves.  Cold hands are the worst.

That is great gift from She Can.

<3

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Loved the RR! So proud of you, you totally rocked this marathon! Look at those perfect splits! Also, you look fantastic in all that green.  It was totally the calf sleeves that made you go so fast! Congrats Jack!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Pinktastic

Wow!   Jack, I am impressed and inspired!   You were rock solid throughout, and you totally NAILED that marathon!   HUGE Congrats on a highly successful training cycle, capped off with an even more successful race!

Really, really love the pic that She Can did of your DD - that is marvelous!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Wow Jack, it was just a great read. You are a good writer, and even a better runner! Great job on your debut and running an incredible time. A BQ! You ran a BQ! I hope I can do the same in the future. Smile

- Andrew

SheCan

Gosh, darnit, Jack, I almost feel like your mama, I'm so proud of you!  Just from your times on the other races, I always knew you were quite an athlete, but when you said McMillan race calculator had you BQ'ing, I was slightly skeptical.  You are fast, but still seemed a long shot for a first marathon, but you did!  Congratulations, and I look forward to watching what the future holds for you as well as seeing you go into Boston.  Its always inspiring when the nice guys finish first (or at least BQ!)

Oh yeah, OMG great race pictures!  You look like a winner.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Thanks, everyone! All your comments are truly humbling. Smile

Obie:  The last three miles were painful but I just dug deep and did it. It was the carbs!

Nevrgivup: Who is Rick? Wink  I'm glad you like the RR. I am really not a writer.

Traci: We are getting the painting framed and it is going to be a Christmas present for DD. Shhhhh! Thank you for the kind words.

SF: Stunning? Tell my DW!

Jerry: Thanks for the advice, Jerry, I will work on it.Wink

Dave: If I get a new Cadillac I might crash it in the swamp in Alligator Alley.  That last mile was insane! Thanks for the edit, but I think the carbs helped.

Birdwell: Patience is something I learned from running. To get results, you have no choice but to be patient. It's frustrating at times, but it won't happen overnight, as we all know.

Awood: Keep it up. I know you are dedicated and you will always reach your goals. Also, you have been a big motivator for me. Someday we will have that race and beer together!

Fuzzy: How can I thank you? I can't, so just "thanks for everything." This BQ is just as much yours as mine.

Ginny: The course was ok.  People may say downhill courses are easier and that may or may not be true. I was pretty beat up at the end from the abuse. Gradual hills are fine, but the steep ones hurt. The course would have been nicer scenery wise if it weren't such a lousy day; constant wind, cold, occasional rain, clouds, no sun.

PAD and NATA: Thanks!

FSocks: I know you knew the course and it's too bad you couldn't join me. Maybe next year? I might do it again.

Zel: I don't know how the consistency thing worked out. I just got in a zone and trusted the Garmin. Yes, the painting is awsome!

Docket: After running one, I don't know how you do it all the time. You really are a bad ass.

Bin: It was fun comparing training notes on the same plan. I might buy the fist pump picture. Smile

Kiwi: Yes, the last mile was the fastest. I think I avoided the death march because of the carbs and the pacing plan from Goo and Fuzzy. I stuck to my pace for 20 miles and hoped to have something left at the end and it worked out for me.

Goo: If there is one thing I can do, it's listen. Thanks a million times over for your help. You and Fuzzy are quality people and your advice is sound. Like I said to Fuzzy, this BQ is yours as well as mine.

LRB: Yes, it was windy! Very windy!  By the way, I passed on the wine but had plenty of suds!

Wcrunner: Thanks. It was your initial advice to wait a year that got me here. If I had done a marathon earlier I likely would have quit by now.

Baboon: Thanks for your help, as well. If I make it into Boston, we will definitely meet up and have one hell of a post race FE.

Kristin: I almost wore the blue ones like your Dad has. I guess the green worked out for me. Smile

Pink:  Me? I inspired you? Wow, I'm blushing... Blush

Brrrr: Wow, I am humbled, but I am really not a writer. Thanks so much.

She Can: It was great meeting you!  Thanks, thanks, and more thanks for the BEAUTIFUL painting. DW had tears in her eyes when I showed her and DD is going to LOVE it when she opens it on Christmas morning. You are the coolest!

Awesome job! Congrats! Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Love the Half

Discipline, trust, and execution.

Discipline.  Discipline is not about doing what you want.  Any damn fool can do that.  Discipline is about doing what you need to be doing even when it's the last thing on earth you want to do.  Discipline is a 4:00 a.m. run or a 10:00 p.m. run.  There is nothing in you that wants to run but you do it anyway.

Trust.  You have to trust the training to get you ready for your first marathon.  You have to trust the taper rather than wigging out.  You have to trust that you can actually do what your training has led you to believe you can do.

Execution.  The race hits and now you have to execute your race plan.  A lot of folks go out and hammer it.  Even doing my jog this year at Boston, I started passing those folks around Mile 21.  Hammering frequently = walking.  You see plenty of that.  You have to bear down for all you are worth after Mile 22.  You have to know that everyone, even world class runners, are hating life at this point.  You have to execute no matter how badly it hurts.

Failure in any one of those three equals a rough day.  Putting all three together doesn't guarantee a good result but it increases the chances by a whole lot and the story is in the splits.  Whether you run a 2:30 or a 5:30, you should run relatively even splits if you put discipline, trust, and execution together.

BTW, just to be the wet blanket I am so well known for, you didn't burn 3,000+ calories.  Garmin lies.  Joking

But you did run one hell of a race.  Give yourself permission to be a worthless slug for a few weeks.  Your body will thank you.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).