Beginners and Beyond

Tucson Marathon RR... my debut marathon with pics in living color! (Read 120 times)

hog4life

Jack, it was so nice following you on this fantastic journey. The time commitment is so demanding to train the way you did. This shows the heart you have and the willingness to do the time. You deserve every bit of this glory, because you worked your ass off. Congratulations on a great race! The execution was perfect.

I remember seeing that pic of your daughter, and that painting that Cherie did is beautiful. Aren't FE's the greatest?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What a great report, Jack!   Looking strong there at the end too!  BQ at your first marathon, that is - as Barney would say in "How I Met Your Mother" - Legen-Dary!  Big grin

Wow, nice painting that Cherie did, that is really something!   I wonder if I send her my Bare Buns 5K photo....nawww...she'd probably want to burn her eyes out after seeing that!  Joking

Congratulations, Jack!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Ric-G

Congrats again....your hard work really paid off....great splits too...and you will only get even faster...enjoy your recovery!

marathon pr - 3:16

SheCan

What a great report, Jack!   Looking strong there at the end too!  BQ at your first marathon, that is - as Barney would say in "How I Met Your Mother" - Legen-Dary!  Big grin

Wow, nice painting that Cherie did, that is really something!   I wonder if I send her my Bare Buns 5K photo....nawww...she'd probably want to burn her eyes out after seeing that!  Joking

Congratulations, Jack!

Scotty I seen this!  Do I have to put that line about not seeing y'all nekkid back in my sig line again?   Don't make me do it!   Joking

Thanks everyone though about the painting.  Couldn't have done it for a nicer more deserving person than Jack.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

BTW, just to be the wet blanket I am so well known for, you didn't burn 3,000+ calories.  Garmin lies.  Joking

LTH - actually he probably did. A commonly used figure for calories expended for a male is 124 per mile. 124 * 26.2 = 3249 calories.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Love the Half

LTH - actually he probably did. A commonly used figure for calories expended for a male is 124 per mile. 124 * 26.2 = 3249 calories.

I've got my story and I'm sticking to it.  Cool

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've got my story and I'm sticking to it.  Cool

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

I LOVE that painting that Cherie did of your beautiful daughter. What a treasure!

Jack (Brad? You never told me you were a Brad... Angry), I am so very very proud of you! What excellent, smart and strong training and racing on your part. I knew from the start that you had it in you, I could tell without a doubt. It was only a matter of you believing in yourself. And you did that, just like a champ! Congratulations on a great awesome finish time and a FREAKIN" BQ!!!! On your first attempt!!! Bravo! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Oooohhhhh, we all have to go run a race with Cherie and get a souvenir painting.

Hip Redux

Amazing, JK!  Great job!

Huge congrats, Jack.

Textbook, from your training to your late-race mental game.  +1 to everything that Goo said, especially... that was a very, very well-executed race, never mind that it was your first marathon and a BQ!

Also, the painting by SheCan is super cool.  Great job, see you in Boston.

outoftheblue

Really, really fantastic execution on this race.  You're splits are textbook, and you really showed something in pulling hard those last couple of miles.  Congrats on BQ'ing on your first marathon.  I'm sure not many can say that.

Life is good.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The easiest way to burn 3,000 calories is to wait until they bring out the free chips at the Mexican restaurant.  Light those babies on fire.  They're usually deep fried, and they go up in a blaze.  Watch out for the floating black ash though.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

LtH: Thanks for being such a wet blanket. You have just completely ruined this for me. Wink

Hog: You helped me get here, as well. Remember the HMs we trained for on the Ryan Hall plan? And yes, FEs are great.

Scotty: Sorry I couldn't get a "legs" photo of She Can. Were mine ok?

Ric-G: Yes, I will enjoy every second of it. I have been going at it for over a year now and this would be a good time to take a couple weeks off.

Lily: Thanks for believing in me. Your encouragement was always a big help to me.

Oski: Smile

Jay: Thanks, man. Yes, that will be one heck of an FE!

outoftheblue: oh... those last two miles were pain. Bamboo under the fingernails, salt water on open wounds pain... but it was worth it. Smile

No more marathons

Mighty fine Brad, mighty fine.  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!