Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILY Penguins Never Shutdown (Read 27 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  10 miler today, body permitting.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Jerry - hope you have an awesome 10!

As for me the plan says I have 6x400 intervals today!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone! So I took a look at the Hal Higdon plans, I went back and forth between the novice 2 and intermediate 1. I am going to shoot for the interm 1 and see how it goes. Its only 18 weeks and since I have 20 I added 2 easier weeks to just build up to week 1 of the plan.

I went to a JV football game lastnight because my sister plays the clarinet in the band and wanted us to come. It was pretty fun. Before we moved I had lived in Leeds, AL for 20 years or so and have never been to a middle / high school game Sad Shame on me.

4 easy planned for tonight.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

8 w/ 5@8:30. Wanted to do 10 w/ 6@ 8:15 but legs is not willing. So looking forward to cutback next week.

Jimmy, good luck with the plan.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  At the office shutting down and then I'm off without pay, yipee, fuck.  8 miles with HMP segments tonight.

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  My run yesterday went really well.  I did 4 very easy miles with the dogs, then dropped them off at the house and ran two more "regular" easy miles.  Legs felt great.

I am thinking of registering for another local 10K in two weeks.  I wouldn't race it, but I would use it as a HM pace run, with crowd support.  That sounds a lot more fun than trying to do that workout on my own, doesn't it?  But I've never entered a race and not raced.  I hear this one has some hills, so that might discourage any crazy notions I have of racing it!

RD today.

Jerry- Good luck today!

Gustav- Enjoy the 400s!

Jimmy- Good luck getting your plan started!  I'm glad you have a couple of extra weeks in there.

Bin- Yup, time for a cutback.

D- Sorry you have to deal with this crap.

tracilynn

damaris, that sucks so bad. Sorry.

zel, a 10k for fun sounds fun.  I bet it will be hard for you to hold back though. You killer!Cool

jerry, good luck on the 10!  Up to double digits again For you. Good job.

Jimmy, you are NUTS! Good luck with your intermediate plan. I see some muscle change for sure esp in your arms.

Gus, have fun with your intervals

bin, it's OCTOBER= the month your dd comes!! Yay!

I got up early and did an easy 3 miles . RT shin still painful. Ordered the 2 shin splint things damaris suggested and they will be delivered tomorrow.  Starting to think maybe I should go back to orthotics maybe With a neutral shoe this time instead of support + orthotic.

Rescued a kitty! My husband and little boy went exploring on old railroad tracks (rails to trails) deep in woods and came across a hungry kitty. It followed them all the way back to the car so my husband brought it home. It's in the garage because it has bad diarrhea Dead probably infested with worms etc. it's about half grown and very very sweet.  We put signs up and if no one calls by tomorrow I will take him to the vet to start with shots etc. another mouth to feed !  We have 4 kids and 2 dogs already! Argh.

better go. Loading up the 3 little kids for flu mist "shots"

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

National Night Out tonite, so our street is having a 'get to know your neighbors' block party after work.  So got up this morning at 5 a.m. and did a run around the university campus.  3.2 miles done.  Our muggy weather is back apparently.  Temp of 69 degrees - not too bad at all - but 97% humidity and a dang dewpoint over 70 made it feel really sticky out there.  Now we are getting some light drizzle.  Glad I got the lawn mowed yesterday after work!

Today is the 1st day of October and for lots of working folks, the first of the month is also Mother's Day!   Pay this mother, pay that mother....

Holidays for today are:

• Food Holiday:  World Vegetarian Day.  Also this whole week is "No Salt Week."  Yeah, good luck with that!
                    • International Day of Older People (Yay me! Joking)
                    • Fire Pup/Fire Dog Day
                    • International Lace Day - dedicated to the study and preservation of all types of laces and lace-making.  Hmm, does that include running shoe laces too?  Wink  Turn your old laces into a doily and you'll get the two 'lacing' worlds to meet.  Joking

Vegan Insomnia

Man Eating Lions

http://www.glasbergen.com/wp-content/gallery/marriage/mar31.gif

http://www.glasbergen.com/wp-content/gallery/pharmacy/pharm14.gif

http://www.glasbergen.com/wp-content/gallery/marriage/mar59.gif

doily cartoon: 'I've been busy today, too -- I made doilies for all the stalagmites!'

lace cartoons, lace cartoon, lace picture, lace pictures, lace image, lace images, lace illustration, lace illustrations

needlepoint cartoons, needlepoint cartoon, needlepoint picture, needlepoint pictures, needlepoint image, needlepoint images, needlepoint illustration, needlepoint illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry to everyone the shut down is affectingSad

It's my birthday!!!!!! But so far a crappy day Sad.... Hoping it gets better...and hoping for about 5 miles later  

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Just a quick fly-by today.

Yesterday at lunchtime I found out that workmen would be here today to remove half of my lab benches (they will be used somewhere at the new site, but not in my new lab).  So I've been scrambling to empty the shelves and drawers.  And I somehow have to find space to continue to work on the "rush" jobs that need to be finished before 10/25.  It's sort of like working to make food for a big party, then finding workmen in your kitchen to remove half of your cabinets and countertops Angry.

I did my first interval set in my training plan last night.  The plan called for 12-15 reps of 400 m, I could only do 8 reps before my legs were hurting and I could feel my form (such as it is) breaking down.  So I decided that 8 was enough -- no sense in risking injuring this close to the end.

7 miles at easy pace on tap for later.

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Sorry that you're directly affected by the shutdown Damaris (and to anyone else who is).  If only people could do their jobs, is that really too much to ask?  I feel very lucky that my contract is already paid for, otherwise I'd be in the same boat.  Hope they get their shit together quickly and everyone can get back to work.

I'll get some miles in later, didn't feel like bravely the cold this morning, it was 45* and I couldn't find my gloves.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Jerry: Good luck with the 10. You will do well in your next HM!

Just a quick check in...  6 miles later, recovery pace, nice and easy.

Enjoy.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  Back at work from my nice long weekend!  Now I have samples to run, data to search, committee meeting notes to send out, something important I've been putting off for a month ... now where is that pesky e-mail ...

Rolling my eyes at VA's governor -- he has two contingency funds he can tap to bridge the gap of the federal shutdown.  I'm not sure what qualifies for this few million dollars of contingency money, but it's there and will be used if needed.  However, the state has a rainy day fund of over a billion dollars.  In the 10 years I've lived here, we have never used this rainy day money for anything.  Not for earthquake relief, not for recession relief, not for the shutdown ... so what exactly constitutes a rainy day around here???

Jerryb -- good luck with your 10!!

Gustav -- good luck with the plan!!

jblack -- high school football is fun, at least for a few games!  After that, not so much ...

Bin -- hope you make it until cutback!!

Docket -- for your sake and lots of others, I hope the shutdown isn't for long.  Now if Congress were working without pay, they'd fix the problem in minutes.

Zelanie -- be sure you don't get sucked into racing it if you're not supposed to race it!!

traci -- good for you for rescuing the kitty!!

scotty -- the block party sounds like fun!!

kristin -- happy birthday!!!  I hope it gets better for you!!

Phillie -- yeah, this move is not going to go well for you!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Rainy day= armaggedon. Doh.

Damaris