Beginners and Beyond

What is the best glute exercise that is knee friendly? (Read 80 times)

tracilynn

seems like most of the best Booteus Maximus exercises are tough on the knees?  like the step up ones?  I need a booty exercise to add to my lower body workout... Which ones do you Think are the best?  Thx

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Even with my gimpy knee, I can do squats.  Just go down slow, hold it a little, and go up easy.  My knees feel better afterwards.  YMMV, of course ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

StepbyStep-SH

Donkey kicks or side raises/fire hydrants (on all fours, raise bent leg out toward the side) - they work both the leg you are raising and the glute in the stabilizing leg.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Squats or knee bends came to mind before I opened the thread, but I am sure there are others.

I have been doing both for a billion years, and can make a muscle with my bum so there is that. 

Nevrgivup

I've always liked the leg press at the gym, though I'm not sure if that would hurt your knees. Personally, I can't do squats because of my back. I can do single leg lunges though.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

#artbydmcbride

Deadlifts and butt lift bridges

Runners run

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I've always liked the leg press at the gym, though I'm not sure if that would hurt your knees. Personally, I can't do squats because of my back. I can do single leg lunges though.

It's actually pretty difficult to do anything "weighted" (bodyweight or otherwise) that focuses on glutes without antagonizing the knee joint.  I know squats are definitely approved before leg press as the leg press usually brings the doc-dreaded -----> KNEES OVER TOES situation.  That puts lateral stress on the knee joint that it doesn't like.

That said, donkey kicks, leg curls and the like where either just the leg/foot is used in a toning exercise or light weight is used to enhance, is fine and I've noted to be pain free.

Knee bends

Wall sits

Leg presses

Leg extensions

Are all trying to put lateral forces on the knee.  And whereas someone might have "wall sits", for example, given to them by a PT for a knee-strengthening exercise, it is usually only post-surgical or post-diagnostic / doc-approved on an otherwise "healing" or "healthy" knee.

I vote "squats" even if just bodyweight as it's such a thorough, complex and complete exercise that you can stop quickly if the knees disagree!

Randy

LRB

Deadlifts are a really nice exercise.

RSX

Try this glute machine if your gym has it. I mostly use it for my hip flexors, and had runner's knee in the past so it never bothered me there.

http://blog.flexonline.com/golds_gym/_W5Q5845-thumb.jpg

tracilynn

Try this glute machine if your gym has it. I mostly use it for my hip flexors, and had runner's knee in the past so it never bothered me there.

That machine looks great. I wish my gym had something like that.   I could probably do deadliftsat at the gym but I'm afraid my form will be bad and I will hurt myself. Ha.

my gym also just got Helix elliptical and if you squat down it works the Glutes.  

~~~~~~~

Traci

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/one-legged-cable-kickback

this may be of some use.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Hip Redux

Hip bridges should work.  There are a bunch of variations.  Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n2rJ5WFdj4

Nata2011

so I went to barre class recently. lots of work for every imaginable muscle of your rear. no impact to any joints whatsoever. I like it

Antipodean

I don't think anyone's mentioned supermans. They don't only target the glutes, but they would go with other glute exercises like donkey kicks & bridges.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

RSX

I'm guessing that your gym  has a glute machine. I wouldn't known my favorite machine was for that area if it wasn't labeled that, because it helps my hip flexors so much.

As far as form, doing deadlifts is easier than squats for me anyway. I tried squats for 3 or 4 weeks but my knees bothered me. I looked in the mirror as well for form, and couldn't get to the point of benefit. I tried cables to no avail at my last gym, but could be form challenged in that area also.

That machine looks great. I wish my gym had something like that.   I could probably do deadliftsat at the gym but I'm afraid my form will be bad and I will hurt myself. Ha.

my gym also just got Helix elliptical and if you squat down it works the Glutes.