Beginners and Beyond

Whining in my wine (Read 92 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Well, okay, tonight's it's actually rum and coke, since I finished off the wine last night (tip: Meoimi Pinot Noir is phenomenal - and we are lucky we can find it locally for $18/bottle).

But I have plenty of whine. I am continuing my trend from the last 12 months or so of a running log that looks like a stinkin' mountain range. Every time I put together a solid week of 45-50+ mpw and get excited that I'm back on track, something screws up the next week. I've tweaked an ankle, had problems with a hip, gotten sick, had schedule conflicts, weather problems, separated ribs, and now, twisted the hell out of one knee. Word to the wise: sweaty bare feet tend to stick to the floor/mats and may not turn just because the rest of your body does.

I know many people here have had worse years and been out for weeks at a time. I'm lucky that all of my things have tended to rectify in a few days, never more than 2 weeks, but I'm just getting tired of it being one thing after another, every time I feel like things are going right.

OK, enough whine. Now it's time for chocolate. Did you know that Dove has dark chocolate hazelnut Promises?

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Been there. Know what you're going through. Maybe a mug of hot chocolate would be good now.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Are there whole hazelnuts in those Promises?

Running is dumb.

StepbyStep-SH

Are there whole hazelnuts in those Promises?

No, must be just hazelnut butter or something. Hell, it's dark chocolate. I really don't care.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

No, must be just hazelnut butter or something. Hell, it's dark chocolate. I really don't care.

Sounds delicious either way!  I hope you feel better soon, Shari.

Running is dumb.

happylily

That's pretty much what we all go through, unfortunately... If it's not sickness or an injury, it's a week of parents-teachers meetings, dental appointments after work, uninvited family members appearing just as we prepare to go for a run, etc, etc.. Grrr... Listen people of the non-running kind, we runners have important business to do... Just let us run!

I hope you recover quickly from your latest stunt, Wonder Woman. For now, you're allowed to seek solace in the chocolate and rum and coke. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Daves_Not_Here

A good Pinot Noir can make everything a bit more tolerable...I speak from experience (try a MacMurray Ranch 2011 Central Coast Pinot if you can...reasonable price too!). Sorry to hear what you're going through.

Earlier this year it seemed like I was constantly in pain and/or injuring my hip and what not. Oddly enough, I backed off from running everyday and now I only run maybe 3 times/week...and I no longer feel any pain. Additionally, my times have improved and I feel stronger! I finished 7 half marathons, 2 10Ks, and a Tough Mudder last year...but I think I learned a bit more about what my body can take. Best to you...and enjoy that dark chocolate...I know I would. Smile

LRB

As the saying goes; if it ain't one thing it's another, all the damn time.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hope your knee feels better!

Damaris

Love the Half

That's pretty much what we all go through, unfortunately... If it's not sickness or an injury, it's a week of parents-teachers meetings, dental appointments after work, uninvited family members appearing just as we prepare to go for a run, etc, etc.. Grrr... Listen people of the non-running kind, we runners have important business to do... Just let us run!

I hope you recover quickly from your latest stunt, Wonder Woman. For now, you're allowed to seek solace in the chocolate and rum and coke. 

Well said.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Pinktastic

Shari, I'm sorry to hear this!   Hope you heal much more quickly than you anticipate and that this trend of running interruptions subsides!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

StepbyStep-SH

I knew you would all understand!

What does a runner do when they are stuck on the couch icing a knee?

Shop online for running clothes and register for races, of course!

I just bought these tanks:
                          Skirt Sports Women's Multi Sport Tri Tank - Wilder Print - SmallTYR Competitor Women's Fitted Tri Tankini - Black/Lt. Blue - Small

And registered for the Chester Woods 50k Trail Run in June.

happylily

Is that how it works? Is the illness of my lonely heart the reason why I buy all those running clothes and spend so much time trying to come up with travel plans for races?  Oh well... if it works, I won't worry about it. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Will run for scenery.

I came for the wine, but stayed for the chocolate. 

I've been meaning to get my weekly (weakly ?) mileage up into the 5+ range for a while now.  My brain says go slow, but the part of my brain I usually listen to says to go ahead and do more.   And then there's the other other part of my brain that tells the other two parts to just shut up. Luckily I'm busy enough that I've managed to keep it balanced out.

I was psyched last night to find a new Lindt chocolate bar : Dark chocolate and toasted coconut.  Turns out it was okay, but not as awesome as dark chocolate by itself.  The coconut (which I usually love) ends up just being a distraction, IMO.

And my most recent wine craze is a Bordeaux called St. Nicholas which I discovered, oddly enough, at Christmastime.  LLS has it for $12, and it's pretty damn good.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

StepbyStep-SH

I'm not a big coconut fan. But I love the Lindt bar with sea salt. The one infused with mint is OK, too.