Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins is falling sick~ (Read 31 times)

Bin Running

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Cough is still there with a little symptom of head flu.. Breathing is a little labour too

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Get well soon, Bin.

3-5 after work and then start 3 day weekend.

Awww, Bin, feel better quickly!!

2 easy miles in my sweet new shoes - check!

15 minutes of strength training - check!

60 second plank - check!

OK, Thursday, bring it on!!

From the Internet.

No fun, get well soon Bin!

DAMMIT LEGS. Massage, roll, stretch, Tiger Balm and the muscle that was bothering me Monday is completely fine - but yesterday afternoon my OUTER calf got crazy tight, feels like someone punched me in the leg :c I didn't even DO anything yesterday, what gives?? Feels a little better today, but still, WTH?

I have gym clothes at my desk and I'm going to bring shorts and running shoes, I should be able to do some kind of activity this afternoon - maybe a brief run, maybe just upper body weights depending on how the calf feels later on. At least it's not the same pain this time, I guess?

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

yikes!  Our flock is falling apart.  Everybody feel better soon.

Jerry - enjoy the long weekend.

I have 8 planned tonight.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I am glad I took yesterday off from running because, between the allergy shot and the asthma, it was not a good day.  11 miles already done this morning and I feel much better.

Have a great day, all.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yesterday San Antonio hit 103 degrees for a high, our 17th day in a row with a temp over 100 degrees, some fun! Roll eyes   I was up at 5 a.m this morning and ran a route near the San Antonio Riverwalk.  One of the roads down there was blocked off, so I had to take a detour.  My detour turned out to be a bit longer than I thought so instead of my planned 3 miles, I ended up with 3.8 miles.  Oh well, all good, I was feeling strong and got it all done with no problem.  Very humid and sticky though, 77 at start time, 79 by the time I finished, dewpoint of 76, humidity of 84 percent.  Sweat sweat sweat!

Today is August15.  Holidays are National Failures Day, Best Friend Day, and National Lemon Meringue Pie Day.  Pie - any kind of pie - yet another food type I don't like.

photo pie_zpsf8f3096a.gif

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning!  I have a training today and then will run whatever the running club wants to run tonight.  Got my plank done but cone only hold 1:20 this AM- sore from yesterday?  I made myself do the extra 40 sec right afterwards.

Bin- Fell better soon!  Got any durian on hand?

Jerry- Hope the miles go well!

Mickey- Hooray for new shoes!

Lauren- Sometimes I get random sore muscles that feel better after I warm up.  Maybe that's the case for you as well?

Awood- Have a good 8!

D- Sounds like you made the right decision!  Glad you're back in action!

Scotty- Not liking pie?  Now that's just wrong!  Wrong!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Bin: Get well!

Jerry: How did you luck out with the three day weekend? Lucky!!

Mickey: Nice shoes! I saw them last night. Smile

Lauren: Keep rolling.

Awood: Enjoy the eight.

Docket: Man, sometimes I wish I had your schedule. I wish I could get up on a work day and get my miles in BEFORE work.

Scotty: I have no idea how you manage in that heat for so long.

Zel: Nice job on the plank! Smile One thing I need to do is core exercises.

As for me, I could not drag tired self out of bed this morning so I will try to go out for 8-10 miles tonight after Back to School Night. It will be a long day and I'm already tired. Sad

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Awww bin I'm sorry Sad

Damaris so glad you are feeling better!!!

I tried KT taping my knee today. It actually felt really good. I wish I had done it throughout my ITBS debacle. 4 easy miles today. Was supposed to be a fartlek but with hill workout yesterday and race on Saturday I decided to keep it almost completely easy, threw in just 2 strides during the last mile.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

tracilynn

hello everyone, sorry to hear about the asthma, sickies, and soreness!

Lauren,  have you ever tried less of a shoe? Are you still in support shoes?   Yesterday I knew I was going to run on muddy trails an I didn't want to mess up my newish kinvaras so I pulled out my old support shoe, removed the orthotic but still wore a moderate support shoe and I noticed  last night and today I have weird calf pains!  I haven't had these weird pains since going to less of a shoe. I think my body fights the support. Maybe yours does too.

Rest day for me today but Im gonna do some myrtls later and of course my plank!  I'm thinking about adding 2 seconds per day to my plank to see if I can get up to 2 mins by the end of the month.

my phone autocorrected plank to plankton!

get your plankton on!

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

Zel - it does feel better now that I've been moving around, I asked Doctor Google and I'm pretty sure it was just a gnarly calf cramp. Didn't hydrate particularly well yesterday. I've had one bad calf cramp while swimming before but it came on really suddenly - same achy feeling the next day though. As long as it feels OK later on I'm going to try a few easy miles, probably will stick to the track so I can hobble the 1/4 mile back to work if it gets worse.

Traci - you know, I still have a pair of Brooks Green Silence kicking around my closet, not completely minimal but definitely less shoe than a trainer. Maybe I'll give those a try for a short/easy run this weekend and see how that goes. I'm in Mizuno Wave Elixirs right now which are lightweight/light support and seem just about right for me (any more support and it kills me to even walk in them - I have a barely-used pair of Inspires under my desk at work that I can't use at all). I've put about 130 miles on the Elixirs and this is the first time the calves have bothered me so I'm not ready to point fingers at them just yet.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I got my instrument fixed this morning, so I'll need to tune and calibrate after lunch, and then I'll be good to go!!  Chorus tonight, woo-hoo!!

Bin -- more fluids, more fluids!!  Flush that stuff right out!

Jerryb -- woo-hoo for 3-day weekend!!

Mickey -- awesome start to your morning!!

Lauren -- maybe that muscle got tired of compensating for the other one?  Hope it feels better!!

Awood -- maybe we should all be typing with gloves, so we don't catch anything from each other?

Docket -- glad you're feeling better!!

scotty -- glad your run was feeling strong, if sweaty!!

Zelanie -- good luck with training and the group run!!

Jack -- wow, and you have a long day planned!!

kristin -- I keep meaning to stuff my KT tape (if I have any left) in my backpack and use it on my knee, but I keep forgetting.  Talk about self-sabotage ...

traci -- plankton, hah!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I never run before work.  I have to be at work between 7 and 7:30am.  Today, I was not going there early (telework day with the afternoon in court) so I didn't have to be here at the office until later.

Hi Pens...

Bin: Get well!

Jerry: How did you luck out with the three day weekend? Lucky!!

Mickey: Nice shoes! I saw them last night. Smile

Lauren: Keep rolling.

Awood: Enjoy the eight.

Docket: Man, sometimes I wish I had your schedule. I wish I could get up on a work day and get my miles in BEFORE work.

Scotty: I have no idea how you manage in that heat for so long.

Zel: Nice job on the plank! Smile One thing I need to do is core exercises.

As for me, I could not drag tired self out of bed this morning so I will try to go out for 8-10 miles tonight after Back to School Night. It will be a long day and I'm already tired. Sad

Damaris