Beginners and Beyond

It's Friday Penguins. Really! (Read 25 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

First week back on M-F and Friday is Friday again!

4 done this morning, temp 66 degrees in Dallas in July!

Bin Running

Thanks for starting PAD.. Great job on the 4..

No running for me today.. Going to run a corporate relay tomorrow.. 6 of us.. 5k x 2 and 2.5K  x 4.. Total of 20K..

We are shortlisted based on JP Morgan run done earlier.. and I am #10 on the male list.. Guess the rest can't back it and I am the slowest.. No pressure.. haa.. Reckon I should be able to do slightly below 11min even though I didn't really trained for this.. (was only informed abt 2 weeks back)

Speaking of Friday.. My Friday is done and weekend start now.. Big grin

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Bin and PAD.  LR for us today (12 miles?)  We are going to drive up to the Botanic Gardens and run there as well as the lagoons that are next to it.

Have a great weekend !!!

Zelanie

Hi Pens!  I'd like to run 10 again today, but I will see how I'm feeling when I get out there- anything from 6-10 will work.

PAD- The first week back is the toughest!

Bin - Good luck tomorrow!  I hope that you have a good time!

Jerry- That sounds like a great spot for a long run!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and 4-5 miles tonight.  I'm exhausted!

Damaris

obiebyke

Morning! RD for me today, and driving 5 hours to Madison, WI for a friend's wedding weekend. I hope I can stay awake on the road!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

hog4life

I tried to run and ended up limping home after 3. I have had the dull ache that flares off and on in my shin for a month or so now. I think it's time for a doctor visit to rule out a sfx.

obiebyke

No sfx! Ick! Keep us updated.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

SheCan

PAD-- woooohoooo@ 66*!!!!  You deserve a cool run day!

Bin-- Can't wait to hear how it goes.  Does anyone film the event?  Enjoy your weekend and the race.  Good luck!

Jerry-- wow-- you're going to put in some good miles today.  Running in the Botanic Gardens sounds wonderful!

Z-- Good luck on your run!

DR-- Sad  Sorry you're feeling tired.  Its odd to hear you express exhaustion.  Hope you're not getting sick.

Obie-- what a fun weekend!  Be careful driving.

Mitch-- oh my, good luck to you.  I sure hope its not a fracture.

I did 7-1/2 ever so slightly cooler miles than yesterday.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Got my 10 in. Waited too long to go out, and of course the sun came out today, but I got it done.  My plan features back-to-back 10 milers on the weeks without a LR.  Even though I'm not really following the plan this week, I wanted to get at least that piece in.

D- I bet that short run will go by in a flash!

obie- Safe travels, and enjoy the wedding!  I have to admit one of the things I've enjoyed about all the bus travel lately is that I can just get on and go to sleep.  It's not great sleep, but it beats trying to stay awake on the road.

Mitch- Hoping it's nothing, but good idea to get it checked out.

Cherie- Slightly cooler is something, right?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Only got 9.5 miles out of my knees, but the run in the Chicago Botanic Gardens was very nice and it was perfect weather.  Ran a couple miles around the lagoons first and then 2 laps around the Gardens.  It's free without a car to park.  Did make a pit stop in the Visitor Center.  It's very upscale and all the North Shore ladies and tourists are all dressed up and then there was us.  They came to smell the flowers, but they got us  .

Guess I better sign up for the Big Ten 10K as the weather is looking good for next weekend.  Hope its not sold out.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me.  Haircut after work.  5K tomorrow morning.

Well, PAD, we don't have 66 degrees since we live in SOUTH Texas and you are in North Texas. But we did get some rain last night and into this morning.  Quite a lightning-and-thunder show, started about 7:30 PM and lasted until about 6 a.m. this morning.  We had lots of road floodings and a couple of people - STUPID people - went around the barriers and got stuck in the water and had to be rescued.   Per city policy - which is WELL publicized and everyone knows about it - since they went around the barrier the next thing they will get is a $500 fine for that, and also a bill for $2,000 to pay for the rescue services.  As I said...STUPID people.

Good luck with the relay, Bin!

Sounds like a scenic place to run.

Was it another slog-fest for you today, Zelanie?

Sounds like you should take a rest day, Damaris, save some energy today, run this weekend.

What, obiebyke, you don't have cruise control?  Cuz cruise control drives the car while you sleep, that's the way it works, right?   Safe trip,and enjoy the festivities.

Probably really bad shin splints, Mitch.  The way I understand it from what I've ready,  if it was an sfx, it would hurt ALL the time, not just off-and-on.  But hey, who knows...better to check it and be safe.  Hope it's a simple fix for you!

Congrats on your miles, Cherie....did you remember to take water today?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks, guys.  I suspect it's the asthma exhausting me (less oxygen going to other muscles).

Mitch, sounds like shin splints. Still, hoping for good news from the doctor.

Damaris

Zelanie

Scotty- I could still feel that my legs were tired, but today I was somehow able to relax into my run rather than fighting it the whole time.  My pace was similar, but today's park was a half-mile loop with a hill on the back part, so overall probably slightly more of a workout for slightly less of an effort.  Hope you enjoy the race tomorrow!

Jerry- Good luck next weekend!