Beginners and Beyond

What the...WEDNESDAILIES? (Read 57 times)

Hiya, kids!

Had my first outside run in a month+ this morning!!  3 miles at the track and pretty muggy.  I've gotten acclimated to the AC at the Y, lol.  I think, if it's possible, that after all my cycling, ellipticalling, and stair stepping, I may actually now be a bit faster than I was before.  That's cool.  Best of all, though, my knee is feeling good!  Woohoo!

Enjoy the rest of your Wednesday, y'all.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Will run for scenery.

Good Luck with your recovery, girl.  It's been a long hard road but you're strong and you can get through this thing.  Don't let the temporary pain and struggle get in the way of doing what you love.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Will run for scenery.

Oh, that was for Basya and her coffee habit, BTW.  But, since it fits, I guess it's for Sarah too. Big grin

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about the headache, Basya, hope you get back to your normal self soon!

Congrats on your Tri-Turned-Du, MBC!  Sorry about the lack of existing in the system, though!

Hope your appointments go well, Damaris!

Way to go, FreeSoul, 7 miles in that weather!

Great appointment for you, Phil, congrats!  Good luck with the upcoming advanced rehab!  And good luck with finding a camera.  No advice, there, I tend to use the cheaper ones from places like Sears, J.C. Penny, etc.,  so I won't feel so bad  just in case, klutz that I am, I drop the darn things and smash them to smithereens.

Hoping 'all goes well' for you, Sarah!   When in doubt...call on Phil for rehab suggestions, he seems to have the rehab thing down pretty good! Big grin

Good luck with the first run of the series, Oski.  As far as x-country, versus trail, my experience is that with trail running, you at least have a trail to run on, some of them quite well "groomed" some of them not so much, but at least you have a trail you are running on and can follow.  X-country is more like you are running over open grass, fields, etc., often lots and lots of lateral (side-to-side) movement, sometimes even more-so than trail running, and lots of uneven surfaces, which can really work your calfs and quads, ankles, hips, etc.  If you're not used to it, you'll probably 'feel' the first couple of ones for a couple days afterwards.   Also, hopefully you are NOT directionally challenged like me, lol.  I've gotten lost on a few of my past x-country runs.

Congrats on your run, Step, and very sorry to hear about the sore back.  If  may make a suggestion, having my own back issues to deal with (stupid spinal arthritis! Angry ):   Heating pad, or even a warm shower,  pre-run for the back (to warm up the supporting muscles, etc) and ICE post-run for the back (to relieve any swelling, soreness).

Dang, Bruce, all that rain sounds like you might have to watch for animal lining up two-by-two!  Stay safe!

Wow, Kristin, your own personal Wizard!  Must be nice to have magic on your runs! Wink

Congrats on the run, Robert!  What's up with the weightlifting? You're doing a specific program?

Name-calling, yeah, that'll help things.  So sorry, Marjorie, about that meeting a-hole. Joking  Hope your run helped, running is a nice way to help get things into perspective.  Don't let the guy get to you.    Hey - if you read the Penguins thread - maybe we can introduce him to those two dogs that Awood met this morning!   HOA President...good luck with that too, dealing with all that goes with that!  You must have the patience of a saint!

Glad you are feeling better, Ric!

Dang, Andrew, 6 inches of rain!  Are you near Bruce?  Stay safe, buddy!  Congrats on your miles today.  Detours or not, your shoes must've gotten pretty wet.

It's not that you responded poorly, anyone who drinks coffee on a regular basis over a period of time and then stops abruptly goes through the same thing.  The effects are magnified the higher the caffeine level you normally drink is.  Even with Mountain Dew, LRB.  I don't drink coffee, but I like Mt. Dew.  I usually have one at lunch, as a 'treat' for me.  Doesn't sound like much, but, wow, when I stopped for a week once, it was crazy, I had a nasty headache the first day or two.  Nutso.  I wonder if that happens with all caffeinated sodas, or maybe Mt. Dew just has a higher caffeinne content than most sodas?  Probably the amount of sugar in the thing was not too helpful either.    Congrats on your miles this morning.  Glad it was you behind the young lady and not some nut-case.   This is a crazy world, we definitely need to pay attention to stuff around us -  women and men.

Good luck with your weight training program, Robert!  Reminds me, I need to start my strength training circuit again.  I am SO bad at not doing it, and I really need to be doing it for my back.  I have a doctor's appointment on Friday and I know she is going to scold me for being lazy in this area. Somehow, she always knows when I've been slacking off.   I think my wife and her must have some kind of pact, and Gail is giving my doc inside information. Wink

Congrats on your outside run, Kristin79!  Glad your x-training activities are helping you get faster! Yay for the knee feeling good!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's really bad that you actually have to change your routes or time just to avoid this person, I couldn't imagine dealing with someone like that. I hope the authorities do something about it.

Scotty, I can't believe I actually got out there that early but I am so glad I did.

the authorities are going to be paying him a visit.  And some people are going to be publicly shaming him that somehow he sent the email to that are not on the board.

Freesoul I have actually changed my running route unless I leave really early am to avoid running by his house.  He is unstable.....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

IIRC Bruce lives a few hours to my SE, so we end up sharing the same weather about half the time.

Dang, Andrew, 6 inches of rain!  Are you near Bruce?  Stay safe, buddy!  Congrats on your miles today.  Detours or not, your shoes must've gotten pretty wet.

- Andrew

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

That's really bad that you actually have to change your routes or time just to avoid this person, I couldn't imagine dealing with someone like that. I hope the authorities do something about it.

Scotty, I can't believe I actually got out there that early but I am so glad I did.

The authorities will take great pleasure in it. Believe me.  I'm happy that so many in the neighborhood have my back on this one.  He crossed a line and the teeth are out, so to say.  People are lining up to shame him.  I shouldn't get so much happiness from it but after being called a dodo last night (and other names) and then the veiled threat in the last email (that D saw, by the way and it is a threat) etc., I am taking time to enjoy this.  He has no idea what kind of whoop ass he has gotten himself into this time around.

Marjorie

LRB

He has no idea what kind of whoop ass he has gotten himself into this time around.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Yes LRB  YES!  Exactly

Marjorie

LRB

Yes LRB  YES!  Exactly

You've got mail...with a typo.  : )

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Saw it.  Smile  Farther......Haha

Marjorie

Jess runs for bacon

LOL! Bless your heart Marjorie, I've heard so many stories about HOAs. i am in one but its technically not active yet since the development isn't done.

I am skipping the LRS group run tonight, my friend who has a bike store invited me to join them on the trail tonight followed by beer. They are cool people so I am going to do my 3 on the TM then load my bike up. I just finished walking 3 on the treadmill too. Ah well I guess it will make up for doing nothing yesterday.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I hope the authorities give him hell, he sounds like someone who seriously needs to get laid or knocked the F*** out. Someone should lay out some bear traps on his lawn, during Fall when the leaves are covering it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Just B.S.

This is what hubby and I did last night. I am in the middle facing the camera at the back. To the left

of the tall guy with the pink cap on.  It was a tri club swim clinic and we had so much fun.

After 14 years of running and all the halfs and fulls I have done I think I am finding my true

love in the triathlon. 1/2 Iron is the goal for next summer. I still have 2 fulls planned for this

year otherwise I might have been tempted to do a 1/2 Iron this year.

The only problem with tri is that fitting 2 work outs in a day at least 3 times per week leaves

little time for much else. Good thing the kids are on their own now or they wouldn't be getting

fed much.Big grin

Just B.S.

I had my follow up with the doctor yesterday and she has released me from the walking cast.   Woo Hoo!!   I have to wear a smaller brace though, gradually increasing the time without it until I am able to go 4 pain-free hours in just a supportive tennis shoe.   When I get to that point, I should be able to completely ditch it unless I know I’ll be doing a lot of walking / standing.

If all goes well, I should be able to take a “brisk” 15 minute walk without the brace on Saturday (no running).   And, if that goes well, then Sunday I can do the “brisk” 15 minute walk again, adding a 5 minute slow run, and a 5 minute cool down walk.   Assuming no pain, on Monday I can walk for 15 minutes, run for 10 minutes, and then walk for 5 again.   After that, I can add time spent running every day, but not more than 10% per walk/run.   Of course, if pain starts to come back, I have to rest and then repeat from where I was before the pain started.   If no pain re-emerges, then in 3-4 weeks, I can start base building!!!    I might have to go shopping for new running gear to celebrate at that point!!

Have a Pinksational day!!   And, may your next run leave you feeling Pink-mazing for the rest of the week!!

- Sarah

Sarah, great news!!