Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES be like... (Read 41 times)

Will run for scenery.

13.99 miles for me.  It was likely one of the hardest runs I've ever done, and probably pretty dangerous too.  I weighed 160.6 before the run.  After?  155.5.  That's 5+ lbs of weight loss in a very short time, and kind scary to think about.  I kept running though, and I hope I can draw on that kind of fortitude when marathon time rolls around.

Second run tonight with the group at 6pm, which I will be running quite easily!

Is the weight loss (I assume all fluids) intentional ?  I know that some amount of training w/o water or fuel intake can be beneficial to get the body used to it for long races, but I have no idea where the line is between beneficial and dangerous.  Do you ?

It would so totally suck if Damaris had to open a can on you.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good news comes in 3's !

1) My sister got her biopsy results 2 days early : no cancer !

2) After 10 or so years of (moonlighting/daylighting) on a project hanging by a super-precarious financial thread, we are now turning a corner.  Today I got my employee packet with W-4 and everything.  Salary to follow.

3) I already got a reply from the RD of the Mt. Taylor run.  He said I'm "as good as in"..."just count on starting".

So Yay!  Yay!  Yay!

Oh, and a book I ordered from Amazon came in today.  But that would make 4.

Great news overall!

Damaris

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Scotty I'm just under 302 miles

Marjorie

LRB

That's 5+ lbs of weight loss in a very short time, and kind scary to think about. 

That has happened twice to me this year that I know of (6 lbs), and probably more in the past.  There have been times when I needed to stop and get fluids, and others when I did not.

It is something to monitor for sure, especially with the weather we are having.  But if you truly needed to stop for fluids, you likely would have.  I did.

Hip Redux

You weigh yourselves after a run?  Why?  Is this common practice?

I try to avoid the scale at all costs lol

LRB

You weigh yourselves after a run? 

When marathon training, the fluid you lose in ounces on a given run in a particular set of conditions, is the amount you likely need to consume during your race to run optimally.  Or, to consume during future training runs.

Hip Redux

When marathon training, the fluid you lose in ounces on a given run in a particular set of conditions, is the amount you likely need to consume during your race to run optimally.  Or, to consume during future training runs.

Interesting.   Fluid ounces is a measure of volume and pounds is a measure of weight.   What's the conversion?

ETA - nevermind, you can use the density to get  it with grams/mL.   So since there's 450 grams in a pound, that means you need to drink about half a liter/pound - or for 5 pounds, ~2.2L.  (Assuming of course that I've done the math right and that your body can absorb that amount over the course of a run without it sloshing around in your belly. lol)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have never lost less than 1lbs per mile on the rare time I weigh myself.  5lbs per hour.

damn Miami.

Damaris

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Is the weight loss (I assume all fluids) intentional ?  I know that some amount of training w/o water or fuel intake can be beneficial to get the body used to it for long races, but I have no idea where the line is between beneficial and dangerous.  Do you ?

It would so totally suck if Damaris had to open a can on you.

Definitely not intentional. I was super thankful to have had my handheld, and even had downed a 32 oz Gatorade before I weighed in again. It was funny...I laid my singlet and shorts over the washer without really thinking when I got home, and I actually just had to soak up a puddle on the floor!

Congrats on your positive news!

Oski...I like to weigh after just to see that "reach" number. I usually feel like if I can see it after a workout, I can eventually get there as a steady weight. Also, what LRB said.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Zelanie

Thanks, LRB, glad you've got my back. Plus I got to learn how to reprogram my watch without my computer. What I did was add some open steps so I can jog the intervals I'm skipping. That's more recovery than the workout calls for, but that way I can go to the next step with the group.

Hey babe, your current mileage does not support that workout in full.  At 5400 total meters (3.3 miles) that is over 10% of your weekly mileage, Dainiel's recommends quality work be no more than 6 to 8% of your weekly mileage, so try this instead:

2 x 1000 @ T pace w/ 1 min. recoveries

1 x 800 @ I pace w/ 3 min. recoveries

2 x 200 @ R pace w/ full recoveries (likely 400 meters)

You will still get your ass handed to you, but you will recover well and reap the benefits without risking injury.

LRB

What I did was add some open steps so I can jog the intervals I'm skipping. That's more recovery than the workout calls for, but that way I can go to the next step with the group.

That is a good idea.

It warms my heart that so many of the girls in our group are racing the mile or doing speed work.  It brings a tear to me eye, ting!  :'-)

Jess runs for bacon

Hey dailies! Just finished a little over 6 on the TM. Better run than I have had in a while strangely. Did a good job eating okay too. I really need to focus on that, this extra weight is slowing me down massively.

There's enough calories left to enjoy a nice Redd's apple ale. Yes I know it's fake beer but I don't care, it's yummy.

meaghansketch

Hey there dailies,

Busy day so I just have time to pop in.

I totally failed my tempo run today, it was kind of funny, I ran into someone from my running club who was really complimenting me and saying how much faster I'd gotten in the past year and all this nice stuff, but the whole while I was just feeling terrible (super high humidity, legs I think still aren't 100% recovered from my long run this weekend and the mileage I've been putting them through) and after we parted ways I could only keep going about another mile.  Goal: 5 at tempo.  Actual: 3 at tempo.  Some is better than none.  Finished up with easy miles for 8 total.

jjs- Fantastic news about your sister!

LRB

Goal: 5 at tempo.  Actual: 3 at tempo.  Some is better than none.  Finished up with easy miles for 8 total.

Despite being the slowest of the speed paces, at this juncture in the season, tempo runs have been a thorn in my hoof the past month!

As it is, you did not lose today, you just put off winning until next time.  ; )

HobbitLegs

elevenses

jjs - yay for all the good news.

Five miles for me today, 1 w/u, 3 @ HMP, 1 c/d. Also, several blocks walked from work to the outdoor store to purchase socks (see first world problems thread) and then to the Y. Big grin