Beginners and Beyond

I killed my client's dream of marathon glory! (Read 178 times)

You Rang?

I practice immigration law.  This morning I had a client in my office who came in to sign his paperwork changing his status from nonimmigrant to lawful permanent resident or green card holder.

My client commented on my computer desktop photo ( of my daughter and I with finisher's medals around our necks) and asked if I ran.  He's a runner too.  He told me that his next race is the Detroit Marathon.

I asked my client, 'Doesn't that go through Canada?"

He answers, "Yes". I then inform the client that his case is entering a phase where foreign travel is not advised.  He needs specific permission from the government to leave the US without jeopardizing his transfer application.  One of the documents I'd prepared was a travel permission application.  My client would likely have his travel papers from the government before the October marathon, but I could not guarantee it.

I then gave my client a choice:  Sign the papers and run the risk of not running the Detroit marathon, or wait until after the marathon to file the transfer application.  He signed the papers.

Dreams of marathon glory killed while you wait and watch.  I love my job!

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Just B.S.

There are hundred  of marathons to choose from. He can pick another dream!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Attorney, client privilege......You guys never had the conversation.  He is unaware of the route leaving the states and the friggin thing starts and ends in Detroit anyway.

Find a precedence and tell him to run the damn thing anyway. (Hell, your client's trying harder than most illegals in this country anyway)

Wink

Randy

LRB

One of the reasons registration closes in August is that all entries are submitted to three agencies for approval; the Bureau of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Canadian Border Services.

So it is possible that he may have been denied entry into the event even if he waited to sign the transfer document...or not.

Attorney, client privilege......You guys never had the conversation.  He is unaware of the route leaving the states and the friggin thing starts and ends in Detroit anyway.

Well that sounds good, but you need to show your passport when you pick up your bib. I don't know what the rules are, but if anything is out of order at that point, I would think they would catch it. I can sympathize, although injury is what killed my Detroit Marathon dreams. Let him know he has till August 26 to transfer his registration to someone else if he thinks it won't happen (unfortunately that date has been etched in my mind).

Dave

Love the Half

Hell, the Hatfield's and McCoy's Marathon just runs through West Virginia and Kentucky.  You might need some extra moonshine but not a passport.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

delicate flower

Go Red Wings.

<3

Hell, the Hatfield's and McCoy's Marathon just runs through West Virginia and Kentucky.  You might need some extra moonshine but not a passport.

^  Big grin

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

And yer shootin' arn.

Dave

RSX

A friend ran the International Bay of Fundy Marathon which just started in June. It goes from Maine to New Brunswick and back. She had to go the Canadian border  the day before with her passport, plus settle it again during the race. She is almost halfway through her 50 states and thought this would be a unique one.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Isn't Detroit known as the "Murder Capital of the World?"  You might just have saved his life.  Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Isn't Detroit known as the "Murder Capital of the World?"  You might just have saved his life.  Wink

HAHAHA

~~~~~~~

Traci

Just B.S.

A friend ran the International Bay of Fundy Marathon which just started in June. It goes from Maine to New Brunswick and back. She had to go the Canadian border  the day before with her passport, plus settle it again during the race. She is almost halfway through her 50 states and thought this would be a unique one.

Hey RSX we are thinking of doing that one next year. We have done the Ottawa marathon which goes through thru two provinces. I like unique races so the US/Canada idea appeals to me. See you then ?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You are hilarious, Richard.

I am sure he would not care about the marathon so long as he becomes a lawful permanent resident.  Besides, if he lives in California, there are more than 5 marathons he can do there instead.

Damaris

LRB

You might just have saved his life.  Wink

Now that was funny!