Beginners and Beyond

Mathesis Monday Penguins (Read 31 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Mathesis:  Mental discipline;  learning or wisdom

How many penguins have the mathesis to be up early today and get their run in?

Not me. Today is a rest day for me.

Today is August 19.  Today's holidays....

National Aviation Day honors the accomplishments of Orville and Wilbur Wright. It is sometimes called Wright Brother's Day. National Aviation Day also honors other aviation and space pioneers.  The holiday was created by a presidential proclamation by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1939.

Food Holiday for August 19th is  Potato Day.  "Want fries with that?"

And some flying and  corny - or is that potato-y - jokes to make you groan

What do you call a stolen yam?

A hot potato

Why does a potato make a good detective?

It keeps its eyes peeled

What do you call people who sit in their garden to find inner peace?

Medi-taters

Why did the potato cross the road?
      He saw a fork up ahead

How do you cool off an angry potato?

Butter him up

Why was the potato always watching everyone?

He was a spec-tater.

Why didn't Mr. and Mrs. Potato-Head want their daughter to marry Peter Jennings?

Because Peter Jennings was only a common-tater

Why was Orville Wright's wife so happy?

Because she married Mr. Wright

How does a pilot know the airplane is safely at the ramp?

The engines and the co-pilot quit whining

What sound does a plane make when it has to land wheels-up?

Boeing, Boeing, Boeing!

Why shouldn't you fly to Spain in bad weather?

The planes in Spain fall mainly in the rains

How many pilots does it take to change a light bulb?

None, it's done by automatic pilot.

Airlines Acronymns

Alitalia: Airplane Landed In Tokyo And Luggage In Atlanta
      Alitalia: Always Late In Take-off Always Late In Arrival
      American: Airline Meals Eaten Regularly Induces Cramps and Nausea
      BOAC: Better On A Camel
      Delta: Don't Ever Leave The Airport
      Delta: Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive
      El Al: Every Landing Always Late
      Olympic: Onassis Likes Your Money Paid In Cash
      PIA: Perhaps I'll Arrive
      Sabena: Such A Bad Experience - Never Again
      TAP: Take Another Plane
      TWA: That Was Awful
      TWA: Try With Another

What's an astronaut's favorite snack?

A Mars bar

Why did the Martian Rover Robot cross the road?

It was carbon-bonded to the chicken

What do you get when you cross a comet with a fish?

A starfish

How do rocket scientists relax?

Nuclear fishin'

How do astronomy students study the stars?

Siriusly

Did you hear about the potential TV series on the life of the Red Baron?

It was a bust, the viewers didn't like the pilot.

Mornin'. Please pass the coffee.

99sec plank and 40 minutes of handweights and stretching done.

Time to go to work.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  No mathesis for morning running here as I have been at work for an hour already so no time to run then.  8 miles tonight.

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

7 miles done this morning, so much for the nice break of cooler weather, back to the rainforest. Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning Scott,  Mickey and Dave and all Pengs.  Feeling better D?

More 1.5 mile intervals after work. 13 day streak, 30 mile week.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - These cartoons and jokes are a great way to start the day.  Thank you for that!

Mickey - Coffee is definitely my friend.  I hope you found some ASAP.  LOL

Docket - I passed on the morning run today.  I think an evening run is a better plan today.  The mornings are getting darker, and it was foggy.  I think I might have to get some knuckle lights, but I'll probably still pass on foggy mornings.

Dave - Yeah, I miss the unusually cool weather and the early morning light.  Oh well.  I have a 12-13 mile run tomorrow with Tempo, and not being able to do it in the morning stinks.

Jerry - That's awesome coming off of a hip issue, but the best part is that you seem to be taking an intelligent approach.  That's awesome.

AFM - I was going to try to bump my peak mileage up to 65 last week, but stayed at 60.  I reduced my planned mileage for Friday, and it was a great call.  My long run on Saturday was amazing.  I ran 17 miles and the last few miles were almost a full minute per mile faster than the first couple of miles.  All told it was just under 2 hours and 40 minutes.  I still felt good enough to run 6 1/2 last night to get my 60 for the week.  I'm also stoked because in my first week of fund raising for St. Jude, we raised $280.  The goal is $1,000.  So, that's a hot start.  This weekend we mapped out a route from my house to Notre Dame stadium.  It's just over 19 miles.  We're organizing a tailgate party, and I'm going to run to the stadium to help raise money.  I think that alone will raise a good chunk of money based on the feedback I got when I floated the idea.  It definitely makes the miles fly by quicker when you're doing it for a good cause.  6 1/2 miles again tonight.  Have a great day.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Dad on the run.

Good morning everyone, no running this weekend for me. Dad and I went horseback riding with a guy from church Saturday and rode for 3 hours as well as stirring up a hornets nest and getting stung twice in the back of the head and once on each side of my face... Had a blast though but WOW! that horseback riding makes you sore the next day if your not use to it. My inner thighs and back is killing me, lol.

Plan on getting 5 in this evening.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

6M done with colleague today. Still coughing. Meh!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

SRD for me today but I have an appointment with my massage guy. I hope he can give me an answer about my foot issue. I don't think it's too bad. The massage will be torture, but I will feel good when it's over. Smile

Enjoy your day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!  I have to do a quick fly-by -- I have to get a sample going, then work on a talk that I have to give this afternoon, after fire extinguisher training.  Tis the season, when all the new grad students show up, that everything goes a little bit chaotic!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Philliefan33

Good morning.  I'm a worn down little penguin today.  This weekend I only managed half of my planned distance on Saturday and half on Sunday.  My legs just didn't want to go.  Today is a SRD, and hopefully I'll have more energy by Tuesday.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

4 mile "easy fartlek" in my grandma's VERY hilly development in Georgia!! Rained the whole time, but very lightly, felt nice actually.

Have a great day!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

Afternoon pens! I'm still the world's biggest worrywart and my legs were kinda sore yesterday afternoon, but I slept in compression sleeves and they feel pretty good today so I guess I should just relax already. When does the worry go away? In time for my next injury to crop up? At least both legs are equally sore this time, I'm a little more convinced that it's just my body getting used to running for 1hr+ at a time and not preparing to break on me again.

At home with my sick DD today, she's watching movies and I'm attempting to keep plugging away at this paper.. It will be my first first-author paper and I NEEEED to get it out already, but being a perfectionist it's hard to even think about sending it off to my advisor for proofreading/input when I know there will still be details I've missed (even though, you know, that's the whole point of having other people look at it). Will probably take a break in a bit to do some single-leg dumbbell work - I wish I could do this work-from-home stuff more often, so convenient to be able to just take 15 minutes out of my day to get in a workout instead of changing and trekking all the way to the gym!

Have a good day everyone!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gotta love it!  Someone coming to fix our a/c tomorrow - and do we need a/c with our temps - and the window for the repairs is "be there sometime between 8 and 4 pm."  Which means I get to sit home all day waiting, great.  So an unexpected day off tomorrow.  I will get up early and get my run in.

This is kinda funny here in Texas..or maybe sad....Our Attorney General, named Abbott, has added the State of Texas as a partner with 5 other states that are filing suit to stop the merger between American Airlines - which is HQ in Fort Worth - and US Airways.  He also announced he's running for Governor in the next Texas governor election...really gonna win over the business folks with that suit!  Wink He says the state is suing because, as he told Business Week "[American Airlines] company executives said in internal emails and other comments that they think the merger and shrinking competition will allow the airlines to pile even more bag fees, ticket change fees and increased fares on customers."  link to story:  http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2013-08-16/texas-ag-details-opposition-to-airline-merger

Wow, did those airlines executives really say that?  They really know how to win over customers! Joking

99 sec plank, that's more than I can do, Mickey!

Good luck with the miles tonite, Damaris.  We are starting to get some "Florida" weather...below 100!   It only made it to 99 yesterday and on my running days this week - Tues and Thurs - it's only supposed to get to 96 with a 'feels like" temp of 98. Yay!  That means I can do some after-work running again instead of that early morning stuff in the dark.  I might actually get to SEE some Great Legs on my runs.  Joking

Congrats on the 7 miles, Dave!  Well, you can always visit San Antonio, we're getting 'cooler' all this week, with our biggest high temp at only 98.

Congrats on the streak, Jerry!

Happy you had an amazing long run on Saturday, Awood!  Good luck with the fundraising running.  Would be cool if they let you run INTO Notre Dame Stadium.

I'll never have that problem, lol, Jimmy....horses scare the hell outta me.  I tried riding once and the stable guy said 'You have to let the horse know who's boss."   The horse knew all right..he was!    Get out the aloe vera lotion for the chapped legs!

Congrats on the 6, Bin, but sorry about the continued coughing.  Might try Delsym as a temporary fix, stuff works great, quiets cough for 12 hours.  Does NOT heal the underlying problem, though.

Enjoy the massage, Jack, and hope your massage person hands you a foot answer. Big grin

Hope your talk goes well for you, HsM!

Georgia!  Don't run too far, Kristin.....say... do you hear "Deliverance" music?  Shocked  Wink

Afternoon?  Is it afternoon where you are, Lauren?   Good luck with your paper!  Hope your daughter feels better.

Sorry about the shortened run, Margo.  Hope your legs get their mojo back after you rest them up a bit.