Beginners and Beyond

Maffick Monday Penguins (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  7 miles tonight.

No work today thanks to the building fire.  Ugh.  Fortunately, my judge is on a three week vacation so there is not much to check.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Maffick : To celebrate exuberantly and boisterously

Appropriate, as today is my 60th birthday.  420 in dog years!   Gail had to work today, but I have the day off and actually am having a quiet birthday at home.  Probably a good thing as, after being near 80 degrees yesterday, the local weather is once again miserable with rain, wind, and cold.  Gail and I will go out to dinner after she gets home from work.    Meanwhile, I've been celebrating boisterously over the weekend with my running.   Did my 8th race on Saturday - https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/6e98e897e2a645c8930dce4709129273/resume#focus -  with friends at the San Antonio Rodeo, and then a very nice after-party.   Sunday morning, did nearly 4 miles of hills with some friends, and then we went to a pub later for drinks, very nice.

My daughter and her 3 daughters also sent me this card.  Very appropriate, lol

http://www.123greetings.com/send/view/02709014219145937236

This morning, got an unexpected present as one of the local Race Directors I know well 'comped' my entry into a 5K for next Sunday morning, sweet!  So that will be a busy running weekend for me:  a 5K at 8 a.m. on Saturday, followed by another one at 9 a.m. (the start /finish lines of each race are only 8/10 of a mile from each other) and then the 5K on Sunday.  Weather is supposed to be great this coming weekend too...sunny, 50s on both mornings, low 80s later in the day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I am so ready for spring, but I would be willing to do a snow day or two also ... I just get tired of cold and grey.  But hey, spring's only about a month away, right?  Don't know what I'm doing today, it depends on if it warms up enough for me to go for a walk, and if I can get my rump in gear tonight for some yoga.

Docket -- sorry about the building fire, but no work is a good thing, right?

Scotty -- happy birthday!!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Docket-- try to enjoy your day off work today.  Hope its a good one.

Scotty-- Happy birthday!!!!!  Glad you had a maffick weekend with your SA rodeo friends!  Hope you and Gail get in some exuberant and boisterous celebrating tonight *wink wink wink*  LOL, wait, was that inappropriate?  Great card your daughter sent!

HsM-- hopefully you'll be able to get outside for a walk tonight.  Wish I could send you some of our warm sunshine that we're supposed to get all week.

Today I decided to take the day off.  Need to start tapering for my race this weekend.  Thank you for the hugs everyone.  I feel so bad about being so morbid lately.  It just seems like int he last 2 months, everyone's been dropping like flies around me.  Losing Darla this weekend was really hard, but we knew she was ill.  Just wasn't expecting it so soon, but I know from talking to her, that she didn't want it to drag out or to become a burden.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Morning Pens! Today is day 2 of my self-imposed exile from running. I'm not going to do any exercise at all this week until my HM on Sunday. Not ideal performance-wise, but at this point I'm just trying to avoid a death march. Not going to do anything to irritate my ITBS, my knees are very touchy right now...yesterday at the gym even the bike and eliiptical bothered it, so I just bagged it.

Why is it so hard to rest? Certainly never bothered me in the 15 years I spent on the couch getting fat  I was so restless yesterday it was crazy.

Anyway I'll be over here trying not to go insane if you need me. Does running make people crazy or does it just attract crazy people? Maybe both.

Singer who runs a smidge

Turns out I had a committee meeting this morning at 10:30, which I remembered at 10:40 when the student e-mailed me.  Doh! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Morning Pens! Today is day 2 of my self-imposed exile from running. I'm not going to do any exercise at all this week until my HM on Sunday. Not ideal performance-wise, but at this point I'm just trying to avoid a death march. Not going to do anything to irritate my ITBS, my knees are very touchy right now...yesterday at the gym even the bike and eliiptical bothered it, so I just bagged it.

Why is it so hard to rest? Certainly never bothered me in the 15 years I spent on the couch getting fat  I was so restless yesterday it was crazy.

Anyway I'll be over here trying not to go insane if you need me. Does running make people crazy or does it just attract crazy people? Maybe both.

LOL@ you!   I do too.  Thankfully the taper has become a easier for me, but still I'm  pretty restless coming down from miles.  Maybe you can find something else to do to keep your mind busy?  Look at those things you've perhaps neglected while so busy training.

Does running make people crazy or does it just attract crazy people? Maybe both.  LMAO, probably!

HsM-- D'oh!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Hey guys!  The snow is about half melted, slush and snow are everywhere, and many people are still without power, so it's another no school day.  Which means, I will head to the gym to get my 15 miler in today since I have the time.

D- Hope that you enjoy your day off!

Scotty- Happy birthday!  Here's a cake for you:

J/K of course. Smile  That sounds like quite the racing weekend you have coming up!

HsM- Hope you get the walk in later!

Cheri- No need to apologize.  You have been through the wringer lately and that's what friends are for, right?

SO42- Here's what I think.  Running makes us feel good.  We get used to all of those chemicals in our brains helping us to feel good all the time.  Then we stop running, and they're no longer there.  Boo!  Good luck with your taper madness!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Damaris, I guess I missed your post about your building fire.  Glad you are safe!

Well, HsM, you could always do what Gail does and go to hot yoga (Bikram yoga), that would keep you nice and toasty!  90 minutes in a 105-degree room, I don't see how she does it.

Gee, Cherie, I thought it was very appropriate, lol.  I am very sorry about the loss of your friend.   Hey, if you can't whine to us, who can you whine to?  Shoot, I know I've sure done my share of whining to both the folks here and when I was over at the RW forums, and I'll probably do some again in the future, I'm sure, lol.  So feel free to "vent' any time, what are friends for?

Good luck with the 15 miles, Zelanie!  LMAO at the cake you have for me. 

Good luck with the self-imposed exile, SO42!  Yeah, I bet you are antsy.  Your body is used to running now and when you suddenly just stop, well, it's kinda like folks going cold-turkey from an addition.  Not quite THAT bad of course, but it can throw your body for a loop for a bit.   And of course, mentally, you want to go run too, and your mind keeps shouting at you to do it, so that just piles it on more.  Stay strong!

Dad on the run.

Happy B'Day scotty!

Damaris sorry about the fire, yikes!

Hope all the snow melts and life gets back to normal for all you people that are having to deal with it.

There is a small chance of us getting some snow/ice tonight going into tomorrow morning. I don't think it's going to get bad but we will see. Also, looking to grab some miles tonight, maybe 3 or 4. Went to the gym this morning and did chest and back, I missed all last week and with all the running and trying to lose weight I felt really really weak this morning Sad

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

SheCan

Jimmy-- yup, could be your body trying to tell you its healing  You really have been going at the running a lot.  Most likely you'll be feeling stronger than ever at the gym soon.

Scotty, Zel (& all of you)  You all are fantastic.  I loves ya!

Cherie

GinnyinPA

Scotty - Happy Birthday!  Sounds like you've started celebrating already, with all your weekend activities.  I like birthdays that last several days.  One is just too short.  Good luck next weekend.  Saturday will be a long run with two 5ks and the running in between the two races.

Damaris - what fire?  Did your Courthouse catch fire?  Enjoy your seven today.

HopesMom - I hope you get a walk in today.  Just bundle up and you'll be fine.  Oops about the missed meeting.

Cherie - you aren't whining.  You've lost a lot of friends this winter, more than usual I think, and that's hard.  One year when Jim and I were doing a long hike, all of our family and friends decided to have major events at once.  We missed several weddings, graduations, and funerals.  The next year, when we were home, nothing happened to anybody.

SO42 - you might want to keep walking, just to keep the muscles stretched out and relaxed.  Good luck with the taper.  I really hope you're able to finish your race without much pain.

Z - good luck with your long run . Are you doing that on the TM?

Jimmy - have fun with your 3 later.  Good job getting to the gym early.

AFM:  I got a little upper body workout moving snow this morning, but not much.  We only had about 1.5 inches of powder, so it was light and easy to shovel.  Ben enjoyed rolling in it on our walk.  Cleaning the ice off him up took longer than shoveling.  I may do some cross training later, to warm up.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

6.4 miles and some strides with DW is done. So far so good on the training.  Good job that we have the day off today, now we can go to Costco, get passport pictures done, shop, etc... Those swim meets are fun but they just take up way too much time. I hope everyone is well and warm. I will try for some personals later. Even my days off are busy!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ginny, apparently the federal building had a fire on the 7th floor.  Due to the sprinklers being activated, the elevator shafts flooded and the elevators are inoperable.

Damaris