Beginners and Beyond

MONDAILIES, It's Monday Morning, Get Up Offa That Thing! (Read 44 times)

DavePNW

For 600 meters I set my Garmin at 0.37 and use this cool site here.

Converting units is not my issue, TYVM. But as far as I can tell my Garmin only allows me to set intervals in increments of 0.05, so I have my choice of 0.35 & 0.40. (Will be the same problem when doing 1000's.) Unless I am missing something. MTA: it's a 210.

Dave

happylily

That's what intrigued me about Hanson and why I wanted to try it this time around.  I don't think you need 18-20 milers if your base is strong most of the weeks.

I feel I can sleep on my desk until 4:30pm.  I should have just stayed home!

That's what I keep hearing. But after my May marathon, I only ran one 18 miler in the weeks that followed. The rest were nothing longer than 15. Then I took a whole week off. When I started training again in July, with Hanson, they were 15 mile LRs at first, now they are 16. Well, I'm not sure why, but they felt damn hard, even though my weeks were in the 65-70 mile range. Like I have lost the mental ability to make it through a LR. This is why I forced myself to run 18 yesterday. I wanted to make sure that I still had the mental discipline. I found out that I do, but barely. I don't like that feeling.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

One of my nieces will start kindergarten this fall. There was a boy in her preschool whom she adored. Not too long ago, she told me that they were done. Stifling laughter, I managed to ask her what happened. "Well, Auntie, I was thinking.." (At this point I hit mute and cracked up. But, because she's *my* niece, it got better.) "I've known him for two years. He hasn't changed. I'm afraid that he'll never grow up."

I still don't have the heart to tell her that not much will change over the next fifty years.

OMG. LOL...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That's what I keep hearing. But after my May marathon, I only ran one 18 miler in the weeks that followed. The rest were nothing longer than 15. Then I took a whole week off. When I started training again in July, with Hanson, they were 15 mile LRs at first, now they are 16. Well, I'm not sure why, but they felt damn hard, even though my weeks were in the 65-70 mile range. Like I have lost the mental ability to make it through a LR. This is why I forced myself to run 18 yesterday. I wanted to make sure that I still had the mental discipline. I found out that I do, but barely. I don't like that feeling.

Yes, but the Hanson LRs are faster than what Pfitz has for LRs so they will feel harder, yes.

I sent a text to my Pilates instructor trying to move my appointment to Wednesday.  If I can just go home and sleep, better.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Basya, LOL.  Love it.

Damaris

happylily

Yes, but the Hanson LRs are faster than what Pfitz has for LRs so they will feel harder, yes.

I sent a text to my Pilates instructor trying to move my appointment to Wednesday.  If I can just go home and sleep, better.

So far, after 5 weeks, the plan has only asked for easy pace. I ran faster yesterday to shake the boredom, otherwise I wouldn't have lasted without having a reason to focus on something. I haven't checked the plan, but I'm hoping that the rest of the LRs increase in effort.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

So far, after 5 weeks, the plan has only asked for easy pace. I ran faster yesterday to shake the boredom, otherwise I wouldn't have lasted without having a reason to focus on something. I haven't checked the plan, but I'm hoping that the rest of the LRs increase in effort.

I am not familiar with the one you are doing (because it's not in the book) but the Beginner and Advanced in the books ask for a specific LR pace for the long runs that is slightly faster than the normal Pfitz LRs. I think it's something like MP + 10%.

Damaris

happylily

I am not familiar with the one you are doing (because it's not in the book) but the Beginner and Advanced in the books ask for a specific LR pace for the long runs that is slightly faster than the normal Pfitz LRs. I think it's something like MP + 10%.

From what I understand, Hanson is more about the duration of the LR, than the number of miles. They don't like anything longer than 2.5 hours in duration. They say there are no benefits to running longer. I'm ambivalent about this. I used to have no problem running 3-3.5 hour LRs in the last years. Yesterday, I had to run at pretty close to MP to fit 18 miles in 2:25 minutes. I don't think I can do this every week. On the other hand, running for only 2-2:15 hours doesn't really feel like a LR to me. I guess I could run 16 miles in 2:30, but I'd go crazy and my form would suffer. Bah... I'm just going to mess this plan like I used to do with Pfitz. That's my speciality. 

B-Plus

For 600m, if I'm at the track I'd use the markings. Otherwise I'd switch my watch over to metric and use .6km.

10 miles after work.

LRB

LRB

Unless I am missing something. MTA: it's a 210.

Yes, I use Garmin connect which does not have that limitation.   In your case you can take your target pace for 600 meters and convert your target splits to time instead.

StepbyStep-SH

Step, summer vacation destroys all good sleeping patterns in our children. My DS goes to bed at 4 a.m. and wakes up at 2 p.m.  He reads or plays games online. And about three times a week, he climbs on my TM for a 7 mile run, at 1 a.m... Then he goes directly to bed without a shower. Boys are disgusting... 

That kind of wacky schedule would kill me! It is now 8:30, and my boy who typically wakes up by 6 is still sleeping. At least he is good about only waking me up once or twice when he can't sleep at night, but this will need to change. I really want to get out there for my run soon before the temps get any higher, but I don't want him waking up to an empty house since I didn't warn him about it at bedtime last night.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning! Went back to the hospital last night because we were getting contractions every 5 minutes and then the Grandma's said that she should go in. My wife was reluctant because we had just been in the night before. Needless to say, we did go in. DW hasn't made much progress and they sent her home again. She does have a scheduled appointment today, so they'll probably start talking delivery options. DW is frazzled and ready to be done. The Grandmas, even though they mean well, are only muddying the waters.

On the running sides of things, I went out of my track workout today. It was 77F with a 72 degree DP. Yeah, not great weather for a track workout. I did one mile of warmup, then four sets of 200m, 200m, 400m with equal recoveries. Then I had a mile of cooldown. Total was 6.1 miles in about 51 minutes.

- Andrew

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Rest day. But glad for it. Did tons of yard work yesterday afternoon. I was a mess after that with the high dew point and it raining on/off. Plus dh had mowed the back yard so I had lots of little pieces if grass stuck to me. He didn't mow the front since it started raining again so was too wet. I continued with my trimming and weeding. Weeds are easier to pull when the ground is super soaked.

Marjorie

LRB

lily I loathe long runs and am in no hurry to do any.

My 12 week plan is broken up into thirds the first of which will be spent getting my mileage up to the high 50's so that there is a smooth transition to the 60's for the second third.

In between now and then not much will change, my training will focus of VO2 max, tempo and "R" pace intervals (the bread and butter of my training) as it always has just at a higher mileage.

It is my belief that getting four good weeks training at my new VDOT (attained during my mile race July 4) while simultaneously increasing mileage will make the onslaught of marathon and tempo paced miles more tolerable when the time comes for them.

For now look for my mileage to trend upwards with two speed work sessions per week without much time spent running long.  In others words a snoozefest in terms of what we usually see for MRT, which is one of the only times that word and my name will occupy the same sentence.  Wink