Beginners and Beyond

MONDAILIES, It's Monday Morning, Get Up Offa That Thing! (Read 44 times)

outoftheblue

Morning all!  I had a crazy fun weekend with 6 friends visiting, and am still feeling the effects today.  I've got a really easy week planned before SF next weekend.  It feels weird going into a marathon with no goals and very little marathon-specific training.  I'm definitely curious as to how I'm going to feel out there.   It's going to test how important -- or not -- LRs are for me, because I haven't done a run of over 13 miles in 5 weeks (although Hernia HIll was a very hard effort).

Basya -- thanks for the laugh!

Life is good.

You Rang?

Step, summer vacation destroys all good sleeping patterns in our children. My DS goes to bed at 4 a.m. and wakes up at 2 p.m.  He reads or plays games online. And about three times a week, he climbs on my TM for a 7 mile run, at 1 a.m... Then he goes directly to bed without a shower. Boys are disgusting... 

Welcome to my world!  My daughter becomes nocturnal in the summer time.  My DW is about to go engage in hand to hand combat to get my 12 year old daughter out of bed for a 9 am computer programming summer school class that my DD begged us to enroll her in.  She's also not that big into personal hygiene either.

Me- 4 miles this evening after work.  I've also got another bit of cardiovascular exercise.... A job interview at 10:00 am this morning.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! Went back to the hospital last night because we were getting contractions every 5 minutes and then the Grandma's said that she should go in. My wife was reluctant because we had just been in the night before. Needless to say, we did go in. DW hasn't made much progress and they sent her home again. She does have a scheduled appointment today, so they'll probably start talking delivery options. DW is frazzled and ready to be done. The Grandmas, even though they mean well, are only muddying the waters.

On the running sides of things, I went out of my track workout today. It was 77F with a 72 degree DP. Yeah, not great weather for a track workout. I did one mile of warmup, then four sets of 200m, 200m, 400m with equal recoveries. Then I had a mile of cooldown. Total was 6.1 miles in about 51 minutes.

Come on!  Brrito is a girl right?  Taking all this time and all?  Good luck!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I left the office and am heading now to bed to sleep this shit off.

Damaris

DavePNW

From what I understand, Hanson is more about the duration of the LR, than the number of miles. They don't like anything longer than 2.5 hours in duration. They say there are no benefits to running longer. I'm ambivalent about this. I used to have no problem running 3-3.5 hour LRs in the last years. Yesterday, I had to run at pretty close to MP to fit 18 miles in 2:25 minutes. I don't think I can do this every week. On the other hand, running for only 2-2:15 hours doesn't really feel like a LR to me. I guess I could run 16 miles in 2:30, but I'd go crazy and my form would suffer. Bah... I'm just going to mess this plan like I used to do with Pfitz. That's my speciality. 

I also have been pretty leery of Hanson's lack of LR's. Maybe a mental thing for me as well. Not sure what your version looks like, but I am going only by the Advanced Plan in the book. As D says, they do indicate a bit faster pace, making it a tougher workout. And actually they do not specify purely a 2.5 hr limit, but rather two criteria (1) "2.5-3 hr" limit, and (2) 25-30% of weekly mileage. So if you are faster and/or have higher weekly mileage, you can make your LR's longer. Although the plan in the book does not exceed 16 (every OTHER week), and in fact they tell you if you want to add weekly miles, that is not the place to do it. But you can be sure if I am feeling good, I am going to ignore them, and add a few >16, and something longish every week (rather than every other). Because of course I know better than the Hansons, hahaha.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LMFAO, Dave.  You and Lily are just rebels.

I should be getting my Chicago plan from my coach sometime in the next two weeks.  Having this training cycle gone so weirdly (and badly) I am looking forward to starting something new.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning all!  I had a crazy fun weekend with 6 friends visiting, and am still feeling the effects today.  I've got a really easy week planned before SF next weekend.  It feels weird going into a marathon with no goals and very little marathon-specific training.  I'm definitely curious as to how I'm going to feel out there.   It's going to test how important -- or not -- LRs are for me, because I haven't done a run of over 13 miles in 5 weeks (although Hernia HIll was a very hard effort).

Basya -- thanks for the laugh!

You do know it's THIS WEEKEND, right?

Damaris

DavePNW

You do know it's THIS WEEKEND, right?

Interesting linguistic phenomenon. Some people will refer to the weekend of July 26-27 as THIS weekend, some will refer to it as NEXT weekend. I have found most Americans to use the former, and most Europeans to use the latter.

An unrelated question: does biweekly mean twice a week or once every other week? (Answer: could be either.)

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

I'll get in 8 miles with 10x100 strides or some combination of strides and hill sprints at some point today. Waiting now for DS to wake up - he was up for an hour or more in the middle of the night again. I had hoped that a solid 3 hours in the pool yesterday would have worn him out enough to make him sleep through. Sad  If this happens again, I'll start waking him up at the normal time anyway, just to try to force his body back on schedule.

DS didn't get up until 8:30, and by the time I got out the door, the heat and humidity had passed my comfort level (which is, admittedly, quite low). So only 7 miles, but I did get 6x100m strides and 4x14sec hill sprints. 9:49 overall pace.

And I came in to this:

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Come on!  Brrito is a girl right?  Taking all this time and all?  Good luck!

Yep, Brrito is a girl. Smile

- Andrew

Pinktastic

Yep, Brrito is a girl. Smile

Then, wouldn't she be Brrrita?

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

outoftheblue

Step, that is so sweet!

Docket -- I DO know that it is on the 27th!  I'm not European, but that is still next weekend to me.  After Wednesday it will become this weekend.  Smile

Life is good.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today.  The Dog Days of summer have finally arrived....high 90s all this week and we will probably get to the 100s sometime next month.

Did my 44th race of the year on Saturday.  Report and photos:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/8af1b8c4462643aca5a1edc3fb0f7606/resume#focus

Sunday I went to the Riverwalk and ended up with a run/walk of an hour and 2 minutes.  Longest I've been out for a while. Guess I got a little ambitious because I had to walk a bit more than I wanted to, and it didn't help that I got a late start (8:30 a.m.) and the flippin' temp was already up to near 80 and the dewpoint was in the 70s...and there is a lot of cement on the San Antonio Riverwalk too, reflecting all the sun and heat.  I ended up with 5.1 miles, my longest outing in quite a while; but, as said, did quite a bit more walking than intended and ended up averaging a very slow 12-something minutes per mile.  I did the other side of the Riverwalk this time, wanted to check that out as of the ongoing construction on that side is now done.  It is very pretty on the newly improved side...passed by fountain grottoes, lots of flowers and gardens, fish sculpture and at one point runners and walker go through this area where the sounds of river fowl are playing on a recording.  Gotta remember to take my camera next time to share some photos with y'all.  Very scenic.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

One of my nieces will start kindergarten this fall. There was a boy in her preschool whom she adored. Not too long ago, she told me that they were done. Stifling laughter, I managed to ask her what happened. "Well, Auntie, I was thinking.." (At this point I hit mute and cracked up. But, because she's *my* niece, it got better.) "I've known him for two years. He hasn't changed. I'm afraid that he'll never grow up."

I still don't have the heart to tell her that not much will change over the next fifty years.

LOL! Too funny.

Step, that's so sweet that your son made you breakfast! Smile

Track workout today, 10 mile race (well, "race" - I won't actually be racing it) on Friday so I rearranged my schedule. My club does shorter intervals during Monday workouts, so I did 5 sets of 400 hard/200 easy/200 hard/400 easy. Felt great, 400s were in the low 1:50s/high 1:40s, 200s in the low 50s and I hit 47s once. 6 miles total with warmup/cooldown.

happylily

Your son is the sweetest little boy I've ever seen, Shari.  What a good heart he has! I think I'd cry if my son did this for me. James isn't big on niceties and kind gestures. And as you know, he's been diagnosed with Aspergers, but it is showing less and less as the years go by. Anyway, about 6 months ago, he is sitting on the back seat of our car, squeezed between our two elderly neighbors, as we are all driving to a restaurant. Knowing that the proper thing to do is to make small talk with them, he first asks them if they are still happy with their car. Then he tells them that it has been a long time since he last saw them, and adds: "I love you".   hahaha... You don't hear 16 year old teenage boys say that too often. He's still a little bit off in his small talk skills.  But it made Mrs N sooo happy! It was cute to see. :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010