Beginners and Beyond

MONDAILIES, It's Monday Morning, Get Up Offa That Thing! (Read 44 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Each age brings different challenges. James is not one to reply, but he will ignore us completely, which is just as frustrating. It leads us to yell at him at times (because after asking 5 times for something, we feel the need to make more of an impact by screaming at him). To which he will calmly respond with: "Nice. Is that the extent of your parental skills?" GRRR!!!!!

We have asked about groups that could help him. The problem is that our area is almost 100% French. James would not do well in French, it really is a second language for him and he dislikes it (to my big chagrin). He could get services on the island of Montreal, but it would be a long drive for us. Plus, he is not big on the idea of sharing with other kids. Fortunately, he loves his big sister and she has been an incredible help to him, explaining things about life in a way that is much better than what SO and I could have done. There is 12 years difference between the two of them, but they have always been the best of friends. Without her, we would have definitely needed counseling services to help with a few things.

We already have that. "Kevin, please go brush your teeth." :ignore:

"Kevin, please go brush your teeth, we need to leave in 5 minutes." :ignore:

"Kevin, you have two minutes to brush teeth so we can leave on time." :ignore:

"KEVIN! Brush your teeth, NOW!"

Kevin - "Ahhh! You scare me when you yell! Now I'm upset and I can't do it!"

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

Are we talking ice cream now? I had some gelato yesterday: Crème de Menthe mixed with Mackinac Island Fudge.

Well aren't you the Mr Fancy pants...  

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

We already have that. "Kevin, please go brush your teeth." :ignore:

"Kevin, please go brush your teeth, we need to leave in 5 minutes." :ignore:

"Kevin, you have two minutes to brush teeth so we can leave on time." :ignore:

"KEVIN! Brush your teeth, NOW!"

Kevin - "Ahhh! You scare me when you yell! Now I'm upset and I can't do it!"

LOL... Smart little buggers, we have. 

LRB

I want to talk more about the long run, but work is keeping me busy. grrr...

What is there to talk about dear?  I hate them, the end. lol

Seriously though, my two highest mileage weeks ever were 73 and 69 miles.  The former included a 20 mile long run and days of slogging through runs while recovering while the longest run of the latter was 12 miles and I actually got faster and never missed a beat after it.

happylily

What is there to talk about dear?  I hate them, the end. lol

Seriously though, my two highest mileage weeks ever were 73 and 69 miles.  The former included a 20 mile long run and days of slogging through runs while recovering while the longest run of the latter was 12 miles and I actually got faster and never missed a beat after it.

I think you're awesomely brave to train without LRs. I'm sure you can do well without them, by focusing on pace and effort, rather than distance. But when it comes to the mental aspect, aren't you a tad afraid to break down at mile 17 or 18? Also, during my training cycles, I'm always curious to see if I can do 20-22 miles with 14 at MP. It gives me the reassurance that I have developed both aspects: distance and race pace. My real problem comes from the fact that I go overboard and I test and test and test myself over again, until I show up on race day with an empty tank.

LRB

Are we talking ice cream now? I had some gelato yesterday: Crème de Menthe mixed with Mackinac Island Fudge.

I actually had gelato for the first time the other week, salted caramel.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Morning! Went back to the hospital last night because we were getting contractions every 5 minutes and then the Grandma's said that she should go in. My wife was reluctant because we had just been in the night before. Needless to say, we did go in. DW hasn't made much progress and they sent her home again. She does have a scheduled appointment today, so they'll probably start talking delivery options. DW is frazzled and ready to be done. The Grandmas, even though they mean well, are only muddying the waters.

Sounds like a marathon taper. Good luck to you guys and big sister.

From the Internet.

This ice cream talk is cementing my decision to leave work early. Ain't got no money to go buy ice cream for the next 9 days, but I still have some in my freezer at home!

LRB

I think you're awesomely brave to train without LRs. I'm sure you can do well without them, by focusing on pace and effort, rather than distance. But when it comes to the mental aspect, aren't you a tad afraid to break down at mile 17 or 18? Also, during my training cycles, I'm always curious to see if I can do 20-22 miles with 14 at MP. It gives me the reassurance that I have developed both aspects: distance and race pace. My real problem comes from the fact that I go overboard and I test and test and test myself over again, until I show up on race day with an empty tank.

I did not say I am training without long runs, I said I hate them.  There will be some distance in there but that will not be the focal point of my training, speed will be.  Quality if you will.

As far as any reassurance that running long may give me, running 20 miles repeatedly at easy pace proves nothing except I can run 20 miles at easy pace.

I have run two marathons so I am not concerned that I can cover the distance.  Running it at my chosen marathon pace is another story and is what each of us is trying to determine how best to do.

I believe that cumulative mileage with a steady diet of marathon and tempo paced runs will work best for me...or at least that is my hope.

It remains to be seen if I am correct and it very well could fail but I have never been afraid of failure.

DavePNW

I actually had gelato for the first time the other week, salted caramel.

Well played. I generally do my best to avoid eating regular ice cream, but I have a harder time resisting gelato. There is a place (too) close to us with a lot of great gelato flavors, my daughter & I have been making it a weekly Friday evening tradition during the summer. (Yesterday was a different situation.) Last Friday my fancy-pants combination was Toasted Coconut Almond Fudge mixed with Kahlua Tiramisu.

Dave

Cyberic

There are gelaterias all over Barcelona. Haven't seen one in Madrid. Very weird. The daily gelato helped us get the kids through the day's endless walks.

LRB, the food is good, but not extraordinary. There are mitigating factors to this: I'm allergic to sea food, so I'm passing up on something probably very good, my Spanish is very limited (read non existing) so it's hard to ask for food.

MTA: Stupid phone. I'm continuing on the tablet. Other mitigating factor, we eat very well in Montreal. There is a big French cuisine influence so I'm used to good food. I love the variety of "delicatessen" here. Don't know if that is the correct word, I'm thinking varieties of salami, prociutto (however that is spelled), chorizo, iberic ham, etc.

Lily, I can't garantee a report as that would be a looong post. There are so many things I see and notice about the architecture, about the people... I can just say I might.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ooh, I love salted caramel anything.

LRB, I loved my doomed Chicago training program because most of the LRs were at a specific pace rather than easy.  Even though my coach kept me at 20-22 milers, most of them were MP +10-20% or MP + 20 seconds, etc., to combine some concept of the Hanson brothers.  At the end of the training, I felt the fastest I have ever felt.  But it was doomed, I tell you.  Ha.

My throat is sore.  Lovely.  But I think I feel better.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

There are gelaterias all over Barcelona. Haven't seen one in Madrid. Very weird. The daily gelato helped us get the kids through the day's endless walks.

LRB, the food is good, but not extraordinary. There are mitigating factors to this: I'm allergic to sea food, so I'm passing up on something probably very good, my Spanish is very limited (read non existing) so it's hard to ask for food.

Ooh, a brother from another mother.  I am afraid I will have the same problem in Spain and Portugal.

When in doubt, ask for anything that has chorizo, queso, y no crustáceos (shellfish) so you can be safe.

Damaris

Cyberic

Ooh, a brother from another mother.  I am afraid I will have the same problem in Spain and Portugal.

When in doubt, ask for anything that has chorizo, queso, y no crustáceos (shellfish) so you can be safe.

I know how to say "Soy alérgico a los crustaceos y moluscos"

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I know how to say "Soy alérgico a los crustaceos y moluscos"

Awesome.  Then ask for chorizo con queso, unless you are a vegetarian, in which case, just have cheese!

Damaris