Beginners and Beyond

Okay....I'm super lazy. (Read 154 times)

Dr. Cornsitter

Good Morning All!

I really, really don't care to do the research, and I trust the opinions of the fine, upstanding citizens here on RA. Can you please recommend a good book for first time marathon training. I am looking to do a marathon next January using my half marathon training, which ends in the first week in October, as the launching pad. I'd like one or two books (like real life, paper and binding books I can throw in my bag and drool on and abuse) that address training, nutrition, and all the basics.

Background: I am young (27) and I've only been running a little over a year. However, I've been athletic and active my whole life. I am not fast. My short term goal is to improve my half marathon time, and then increase my distance by focusing on the marathon for the long term. I am relatively healthy and injury-free. I can stand to lose weight, which I imagine I will during training anyway, but I am not grossly overweight nor looking to meet specific weight loss goals. I just want to run in a smart, healthy, and sustainable way.

Hopefully, that's enough info to generate some good responses. Looking to purchase from Amazon today.

Thanks!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Based on everything I have picked up here, it seems the bible is Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning.

Currently in the middle of reading the Kindle version myself....

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Pfitz is a great book but it's advanced for a first time marathoner, IMO.  I would buy his book but I also recommend Hal Higdon's Marathon.  The book is a good read about first marathons and what to expect.  Pfitz is more about the science of marathoning and I think it's a must have book.

Damaris

Jess runs for bacon

Pfitz is a great book but it's advanced for a first time marathoner, IMO.  I would buy his book but I also recommend Hal Higdon's Marathon.  The book is a good read about first marathons and what to expect.  Pfitz is more about the science of marathoning and I think it's a must have book.

I haven't ran a marathon, or obviously completed a training cycle, but I did read Higdon and his plans seem great for beginners.

Oh sure, NOW you tell me! Smile I kind of realized I was in over my head pretty early on in the Pfitz book, when it showed a table of suggested long run paces based on goal marathon pace; the slowest GMP listed was 8:00 mpm. Anyway I'm using it to learn more as you say about the science of it all -- mainly help me understand better what the hell some of the people are talking about on this forum.

I am thinking about writing a book about how NOT to prepare for your first marathon; I can just write about what I did, and readers can do the exact opposite.

Dave

Dr. Cornsitter

Oh sure, NOW you tell me! Smile I kind of realized I was in over my head pretty early on in the Pfitz book, when it showed a table of suggested long run paces based on goal marathon pace; the slowest GMP listed was 8:00 mpm. Anyway I'm using it to learn more as you say about the science of it all -- mainly help me understand better what the hell some of the people are talking about on this forum.

I am thinking about writing a book about how NOT to prepare for your first marathon; I can just write about what I did, and readers can do the exact opposite.

Gimme your top five NOT TO DO items.....aaaaand go!

happylily

Pfitz fan here! Simple read and you can modify what you want in the plans if you don't feel up to the speed workouts. I've used him from 1st to 11th marathon and have always been pleased. I'm ready for a change and won't use him anymore, but I'm glad I did when I did.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

"I'm super lazy.... I want to run a marathon."

I have nothing to add, but you made me chuckle.  Big grin

happylily

LOL!!!!!!

NC runner

Cyber-bro

Without a doubt, Jack Daniels Running Formula. After you read it you'll understand periodization, the purpose of LT work, Intervals, Strength, Easy, and Long Runs. Then it's easy to put together your own training routines.

Pfitz is good but he incorporates many of Daniels concepts into an advanced training plan. Probably better to read that after you have a few marathons under your belt.

DON'T BRO ME IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME

Love the Half

Bah.  Everyone is afraid of Pfitz but I used Daniels for my first marathon because I thought the Pfitz workouts weren't intense enough.  It's all about your level of fitness and what you enjoy doing.  Still, if the goal is marathoning, I'd recommend Pfitz.  If the goal is running better at all distances, including the marathon, I'd recommend Daniels.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

Gimme your top five NOT TO DO items.....aaaaand go!

1.  Don't run a marathon if you haven't averaged at least 40 miles per week over the past six months.

2.  Don't run a marathon if you haven't been running at least 18 months.

3.  Don't expect that a few 20+ mile long runs will make up for a lack of overall mileage.

4.  Discipline yourself to run the first 20 miles of the race at the pace you are capable of running.

5.  Carb load and have a race day carb intake strategy but don't expect that to make up for a lack of mileage.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Actually, I'm curious about this: what makes people say that the Pfitz plans are tough? I don't find them tough at all. Marathon training in general is tough, yes, but what is it about Pfitz that makes his plans tougher than other training plans for the marathon?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't find them tough at all but we had a strong base when we trained with it.  For a regular first time marathoner, the base is too low to attempt Pfitz successfully.  Exceptions do apply.  I love Pfitz better than Daniels, although my new plan looks like Canova, Hudson, Daniels, WTF, so there is that.

Actually, I'm curious about this: what makes people say that the Pfitz plans are tough? I don't find them tough at all. Marathon training in general is tough, yes, but what is it about Pfitz that makes his plans tougher than other training plans for the marathon?

Damaris

Dr. Cornsitter

Ha! Yeah, I guess the juxtaposition of those two thoughts is pretty ridiculous Big grin

LTH: I'm confused about your #4. Wouldn't the goal be to run the entire race at a pace I know I'm capable of? Isn't the whole point of training not to blow up in the last leg of the race? Maybe that's too much to ask for a first time, lol?