Beginners and Beyond

With the winter we had, who can complain about the Sunny SunDAILIES (Read 43 times)

happylily

Since Eric didn't do the job of finding our dew point, I had to go look for it. sigh..

Forecast: 87 °F
    Wind: 3 mph  from Southwest

Location: Montreal - Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport

Humidity: 58%

Dew point: 64 °F

In my garage, where I run, it is actually warmer than outside. I ended my recovery miles in 84F this morning. As usual, there is ZERO air flow in there. So, no matter what the dew point is here, no air flow makes sweat evaporation very hard, which makes the cooling process also very hard. So, based on that, I ran in 84F, I perspired like a pig and my body never had a chance to cool itself down. So I say I win the contest.  And I have decided that this summer, I will remind you all E-V-E-R-Y friggin day that there is ZERO air flow where I run. And it stinks of garbage. And I stare at a wall. And yes... I am a martyr. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

62F with 56 dew point.

8 miles soon.

happylily

62F with 56 dew point.

8 miles soon.

Pfff... You, West Coasters, and your perfect weather, in your pretty cities, with your hip music, coffee and clothes... 

LRB

lol

I'm here,  there are a million kids up in here.  lol

LRB

Pfff... You, West Coasters, and your perfect weather, in your pretty cities, with your hip music, coffee and clothes... 

You are crackin' me up today...and buy a fan!  

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.2. No stomach issues today but foot wasn't happy so many stops to let it get back to normal. So it took a while to run the 10.2. I walk on circles so I don't count that as I pause my Garmin. I'm sure I was over 11 but I only count running.

Marjorie

happylily

You are crackin' me up today...and buy a fan!  

I can't buy a fan. Because then I will have to stop complaining. And since I just started...

Cyberic

I agree with most of your analysis.  The only part I disagree (and the articles disagree as well) is that most of the articles I have read indicate the dewpoint is a better indicator as to how well you can cool yourself while running, rather than relative humidity (mostly because it's relative to the temperature while the dewpoint is an absolute number).  100% humidity does not affect you much until  the temperatures are hot (60F and 100% or 65F and 100% humidity humidity does not affect your sweating capacity, for example).  For example, in the areas closer to the equator, because they are so hot, it will be hard for you to find 100% humidity unless it's early in the morning, yet these areas are the most humid in the world.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/training-heat

http://www.weather.com/blog/weather/8_13252.html

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/resources/askjack/wfaqhumi.htm

I need some lunch, especially while I watch the Netherlands v. Mexico match.  Will include some avocado and chips and salsa to the mix. 

I will have to disagree with you Smile

Relative humidity is relative to a given temperature and pressure whereas Dew Point is not. I always run at a given temperature and pressure. Therefore, if it's 64 degrees with 100% humidity ( 64F Dew Point), if my hypothesis is correct, my sweat will not be able to cool me down. If it's 100 degrees and a Dew Point of 75F. yes it will be more humid (75F Dew Point is higher than 64F DP) BUT since the relative humidity will be lower than 100%, even if the absolute humidity is higher, the air will actually be able to absorb some more humidity, and sweat will evaporate and cool my skin.

But at 64F, my body will cool itself down by convection: The ambiant air will be cooler than my skin, so some heat from my skin will transfer to air.

Which of the two is more effective? I don't know, but my guess is that it would be more comfortable to run in 64F weather with 64F Dew Point vs 100F with 75F Dew Point, so convection cooling, in that case, seems to be the winner Smile

I don't want to press the argumentation though. I'm just having fun with physics and mathematics here, but it's been more than twenty years since my last physics class.

MTA: BUT (I just thought of something) since a Dew Point of 100 is impossible for some reason I do not know, that means that 100F air has a lower than 100% relative Humidity saturation point. Now that is hard to calculate for me. If I don't know what is the humidity saturation point of warmer air (higher than 80F), then my whole argumentation stands as long as you change all the "100% relative humidity" in my text and replace it with "humidity saturation point".

Easier to just drop the subject LOL!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have run in 75F dewpoint.  Your sweat will never dry in that dewpoint, no matter the temperature.  And the days I run in 75 dewpoint and 80 dewpoint, the humidity is at 50-70% (like I said, the only times we hit 100% humidity is below 75F in the mornings (probably in Winter, LOL), as dewpoint cannot go above 84F so anything hotter than that will never have 100% humidity (dewpoint can never be above the temperature).  Everything I have found says it's the dewpoint that tells you how much or little you'll cool down, not relative humidity, and decades of experience running in this shit (and running in lower temps and 100%) have shown those articles are right.

I have run in the 50-60F and 100% humidity, even marathons.  I sweat, I dry normally, and the race overall is actually comfortable.  Because 50-60 dewpoint is really comfortable.

Right now, we have 93F with 50% humidity, 73 dewpoint, and the weather advisories are cautioning for a stickiness factor of HIGH.

Damaris

Cyberic

Oops, I added a MTA to my last post, dropping the argumentation. I declare you winner.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Haha, we kind of said the same thing.

I just saw it after editing mine.  Oops.

Damaris

happylily

The battle of the Geek vs the Lawyer. Aaand... the Lawyer wins! 

PADRunner

Translation, it sucks to run when it's hot and humid with a high dew point.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The battle of the Geek vs the Lawyer. Aaand... the Lawyer wins! 

I object!  Oh, wait, that was me.  Nevermind.

Damaris

StepbyStep-SH

Hello, all! 6.42 miles done on the rail-trail after church. Lots of leaves and branches down from some storms last night.

I've fallen off the core work wagon - I'll get back on it tomorrow when I kick off an 18-week training plan. Time to get back to work after a month of mostly being lazy.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.