Beginners and Beyond

A Run in the Park 5k - RR (Read 43 times)

music_girl117

I always write too much on these things, so I’ll try to be shorter this time.  Today’s goal was to run a 5k in under 24 minutes. My PR was 24:19, from September, so I thought it was possible. The race I picked (A Run in the Park, Highland Park, NJ) is a favorite: in 2012, it was the first race I did when I started running. And in 2013 I got a big PR in the race, so I thought this race might have something nice in store for me today as well. It is a tricky course though, with a noticeable, steady decline in elevation for the first mile, then a series of short but steep hills in the second mile and a couple in the third too. My goal time worked out to about 7:45 per mile. I knew I’d be faster on the first mile due to the downhill, so I hoped I’d build a little cushion of 10 seconds or so, then plug away at 7:45 pace for the rest. I also made sure to review the course map ahead of time, since last year I apparently did a terrible job running the tangents (my watch measured 3.2 miles, and a guy even told me afterwards that he almost beat me because he was running them and I wasn’t, lol).

So, off we go…I reminded myself not to freak out if I hit a pretty fast pace for the first mile. I was moving well and thought it might be around 7:30...yeah, it actually came in at 7:19. That is the fastest mile I have ever recorded, in a race or in training. Kind of cool, but the start of a 5k is *probably* not the ideal place to do that. Mile 2 had those stupid hills, ugh! I could feel my breathing getting a lot faster on those. I took water, which I wouldn’t normally bother with in a 5k, and managed to drink a quick sip without breaking stride. I think it helped a bit. Around the middle of mile 2 I noticed a new phenomenon - I was pretty much in guyland. There were not many girls around me at all. Hmm. I finished mile 2 in 7:44; a big dropoff in pace due to the hills, but still on target. I felt like I was *crawling* in the last mile...I didn't look at my watch much, but I was really getting tired and suffering from side stitches. The course finished on a high school track, and I did some mental math and figured I'd be good for the sub-24 if my time @ 3 miles was close to 23-even. It came in at around 22:30, with a mile 3 split of 7:29, so I knew I had it. There was a girl around my age like 15 feet ahead of me, and I tried to pass her, but I started too late and couldn't do it. Oh well, as it turned out she wasn't in my age group anyway. I finished in 23:35 and was over the moon! And as icing on the cake, I won my age group! The age group win was a big surprise, since my same time last year would have gotten a VERY distant fourth place (last year the THIRD place girl was 20-and-change in my AG).

Overall I am thrilled with my race! But there’s always room for improvement. My pacing between miles 1 and 2 could have been better. Last year I ran only 6 seconds slower in mile 2, despite the drastic difference in landscape. Something to work on for next year. Also I could still do better on the tangents. Despite a concentrated effort, I still ran 3.15 miles. Better than 3.2, but…yeah.

Thanks for reading!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Hip Redux

Congrats on the PR and AG win!  Did you get any good swag for the AG?

Congratulations! I think you ran a great race, even if it wasn't even splits. And first in your age group, really is icing on the cake!

LRB

Nicely done MG!  That you didn't completely drop off the map after that first mile speaks to your improved fitness, now it's time to start passing some of those men in your upcoming events.  Trust me, it happens all the time. 

Wow, congrats on the AG win and the PR, Music Girl.  It must have been nice to do it on a course you like, too.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Way to go, speedy!  Congrats on your AG and the shiny new PR, enjoy your well-earned accomplishments!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Just B.S.

Awesome job! Congrats on the great PR!

delicate flower

Trying to maintain 5K pace on uphills is really, really hard.  A dropoff is almost expected unless you really go out conservatively in that first mile.  Your third mile was only 10 seconds slower than your first mile, and I'd take that in a hilly 5K.  Great job on the PR and AG win.  Now please answer Oski's question about the award swag.  Smile

<3

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Nice RR.  Highland Park is about 1 hour from me, its a nice area.  Great weather this weekend, not too hot for a 5k.  I got a real kick out of this:

Around the middle of mile 2 I noticed a new phenomenon - I was pretty much in guyland. There were not many girls around me at all. Hmm.

music_girl117

thanks everyone!  It was a really exciting day.  Oski, I got a small medal, so that was cool.

Baboon, I agree, pacing is really tough on hilly courses.  But I do wonder if I could have had a faster total time for the first 2 miles by running the first one maybe 10 seconds slower, and having less of a dropoff in the second one.  Oh well.

Fourouta5, I didn't know that you were (kinda) in my area.  Any upcoming summer or fall races on your calendar?

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Great job!  You destroyed your PR.  I don't know if you'll ever hit the tangents perfect, but it sounds like you were pretty close.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

That is an excellent time and to win your AG is very indicative of your great performance on the course. Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

I am south of you in the Yardley/Trenton area.  I had 5 months off due to a hamstring tear, started back April 1 and quickly developed PF.  Hoping to lick that by end of month.  Signed up for the Philly full in Nov, and will probably do the Washington Crossing 15k in August.  Have not decided on a Sept/Oct HM just yet.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Congrats on the AG win! Nice running!

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job!  Congrats!

Damaris