Beginners and Beyond

Donut Day Penguin FriDAILY (Read 33 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy National Donut Day.  Sounds like a good pre-run breakfast.  8 miles with DW this morning.

Safe trip Mr. and Mrs. Docket.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No donuts here, but did treat myself to a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit for breakfast, with a large orange juice, my breakfast drink of  choice since coffee to me is BLECH!

Went to a local park after work yesterday and got in 3.1 miles.  The temperature was 93 degrees, the heat index 'feels like' temp was 99 degrees, but the humidity was only 50%  and the dew-point was 68, so although it was HOT, it didn't really feel all that bad out there at all.  I ran all my running segments strongly, walked my 2-min walk breaks briskly, and my last running segment I even picked up the pace for the last 1/2 mile, finishing well.   This is a park that has really nice dirt-and-paved trails, big shade trees, wooden bridges across the creek beds, very 'peaceful atmosphere' place.  With the temps the way they were the park was nice and quiet.  I saw only 1 cyclist out there, 5 walkers and  just 3 other runners who were insane enough as me to get out and run in this weather, lol.

Today is a rest day, sort of.  I have a physical therapy re-evaluation for my spinal arthritis and then I will be going to pick up my packet for my 5K tomorrow, which is another FREE race - so basically a fun run with no awards etc, but you do get a goody bag with shirt and other stuff - put on by the city to help promote healthful activity for San Antonio residents.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

Morning Pens! Weather is good so I should get 5 in. Scotty-too warm for me. Jerry- Thanks for starting us off. No doughnuts here.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scotty, bring a few boxes of Donuts to the race to help the city promote the healthy activity.

'Morning StoneFence, enjoy the 5.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

BTW....70th anniversary of D-Day Invasion in WWII is today.  My dad participated in that - he was at Omaha Beach in Normandy and was in the 3rd wave to go ashore....very hairy from the stories he told me about it.  My dad is gone from this earth now, but I'm glad he at least got to go to the 50th anniversary of the day, in 1994, where he reunited for a while with old buddies.  I watched a news report last night on this anniversary and they were interviewing some of the vets who were there in Normandy...all in their 80s and 90s now....it was pretty moving.   It will be sad when all  these ladies and gentleman vets are all gone...they really did save the world.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Good morning!

Jerry, thanks for the reminder about Nation Donut Day.  It sure goes well with National Running Day earlier this week. Smile

Scotty, how do you run without coffee? (how do you LIVE without coffee??)

ETA: Oh, and just saw your post about Normandy.  Thanks to you and your dad for your service!  Have you been to Normandy?  My family went 11 years ago.  It was so moving.

StoneFence, something funny about your avatar caption:  I've been telling my hubby for a while that I want to be badass.  (I think since I've been lurking on the board & seen Damaris described that way!)  He just doesn't think I am, and I admit I'm not there yet.  So when I saw your "on my way to badass" tagline, I asked him, "Honey, do you think I'm at least ON MY WAY to being badass?"  He stared at me for a minute and then busted out laughing and finally said, "What does that even MEAN?" Sigh.  Apparently I have a long way to go!

Anyway...on my way shortly to meet a friend for 5 miles or so.  Maybe I'll stop at the nearby donut shop on the way home. Smile

bingo_jenn

Good morning!  

I got 5 miles in bright and early this morning.  Smile 

Jerry - Thanks for starting us!  I'm skipping the doughnuts only  because I don't want to stand in line.  If I want a doughnut, I'll buy a damn doughnut. 

Scotty - Have fun with your run tomorrow!  That's pretty cool (interesting might be a better word?) about your dad.  I think it's great when the old vets get together.  I like to imagine them young.  Smile 

StoneFence - Hi!  Good job with your run! Do you know you under another name?  I'm an old penguin.  Wink 

Brilliant - Have a great run!  Enjoy that doughnut!!

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.  Donut day?  Maybe I will route my run to the local bakery and get a donut today.  I would pay for it though -- to get home from the bakery I would have to run up a nasty hill.  It might not be worth it.

I'm running somewhere today -- but haven't decided if it will be my LR day or just a 4-5 miler.  Since I'm working from the VO today I might have time for the LR.

Brilliant

I ran 4 easy miles with my friend.  I decided against the donut for now.  Maybe later.

on my way to badass

bingo jenn- I am a fairly new penguin. Brilliant- you are on your way to badass when you get out there in the heat or cold and get it done.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Mmmm... donuts sound good. Thanks, Jerry. I may have to go to the Donut Man today. Look at his menu here. This guy is famous in CA.

I started the day with a nice 5 mile tempo run. This was my first fast run in two weeks and it felt pretty good. I have no clue what is going on today but tomorrow we have a swim meet with DD and on Sunday I am going to a car show where a friend of mine is doing his Elvis act.

See ya.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

BTW....70th anniversary of D-Day Invasion in WWII is today.  My dad participated in that - he was at Omaha Beach in Normandy and was in the 3rd wave to go ashore....very hairy from the stories he told me about it.  My dad is gone from this earth now, but I'm glad he at least got to go to the 50th anniversary of the day, in 1994, where he reunited for a while with old buddies.  I watched a news report last night on this anniversary and they were interviewing some of the vets who were there in Normandy...all in their 80s and 90s now....it was pretty moving.   It will be sad when all  these ladies and gentleman vets are all gone...they really did save the world.

Thank you to your dad for saving my family who had left Germany and lived in London during the war.

We got our 8 in mostly in the mid 10:00s.  It was beautiful out, except for the cottonwood that kept choking DW. Ran the whole way, except for a bridge we walked up.  Feet got a little tired, but I think I will be ready for 9 (or 10) next week.

Singer who runs a smidge

Mmm, donuts!!  Hi, Penguins!!  Instrument troubleshooting today, so not much of a flyby for me.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch - I saw you have the Inspire 10's now.  I got a pair too.  I love them.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013