Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #20 (Read 32 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

77-78 is what we had in Miami and that had me all naked and shit. Too hot. 74-75F is what we had here this Fall. 69F in the Winter.

Damaris

Cyberic

Rest day. I am trashed. Flying back to the frozen tundra tonight

As you should. But it's a good thrashed with a 7 minute PR, and it's a much worse thrashed when you come short.

DavePNW

As you should. But it's a good thrashed with a 7 minute PR, and it's a much worse thrashed when you come short.

LOL so true.

Dave

Cyberic

I had one of my more difficult runs ever yesterday. Shin depth snow, frozen ice ruts, half frozen water puddles, ice patches and omg, the wind!

I began the stupid thing with a 4 mile minimum but just kept going and going and going or plowing and plowing and plowing until I got to 4.2 miles, then turned around for 8.4, which felt like 16 to my legs!

The screw shoes held up fantastically, I am just over the moon with them. At one point towards the end I sprinted across a 50 foot section of ice and It. Was. Awesome.

I've picked out something more reliable though, and despite the exorbitant cost, they are specifically manufactured for the purpose. The ones I'm using now are showing significant wear after only two runs (12 miles) and I require something more durable, not to mention certainty. Don't get me wrong, the sheet metal screws worked good. But if the question is good, better or best, where safety is concerned, I am not going to overthink it.

I hear you about difficult runs. I actually had it easier than you as underneath the snow it was pretty flat, and not frozen ruts.

IceSpikes are still a pretty affordable solution when you compare to shoes with built-in spikes underneath. Plus, there are very few of those shoes, and if you have specific requirements with your shoes (wide forefoot for me, support for you), chances are none of those models will work for you.

https://www.inov-8.com/us/arctic-talon

https://icebug.com/running-shoes

onemile

LOL so true.

Definitely. Worth it.

DavePNW

Definitely. Worth it.

Are there people when you get back at work you can brag to, or do they not GAF?

Dave

onemile

Are there people when you get back at work you can brag to, or do they not GAF?

My work bff already made a post on Facebook about how she was so proud of me but that was before I even ran it.

I don't think anyone else at work really cares. Which is fine. I actually got a bunch of texts from my running friends yesterday and URP called me. So that was nice.

Funny story..  my mom emailed me yesterday asking if I was finished yet at 9:24am. She said she watched the finish line video for a long time and got tired after awhile when she didn't see me coming through so turned it off at 2:37. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Haha. Moms! She was like run faster next time!

Damaris

Cyberic

My work bff already made a post on Facebook about how she was so proud of me but that was before I even ran it.

I don't think anyone else at work really cares. Which is fine. I actually got a bunch of texts from my running friends yesterday and URP called me. So that was nice.

Funny story..  my mom emailed me yesterday asking if I was finished yet at 9:24am. She said she watched the finish line video for a long time and got tired after awhile when she didn't see me coming through so turned it off at 2:37

onemile

Haha. Moms! She was like run faster next time!

She just has no concept of it. Last year she asked me what my "marathon time" was because her coworkers wanted to know.  I told her 3hrs, 15 minutes and then the next day she says "what did you say your marathon time was? Five hours and how many minutes?"

Half Crazy K 2.0

8 or something like that (GPS went a little crazy at the track). Tried the Mona fartlek, I'm sure  the recoveries were slower than they are supposed to be, but since I usually walk to recoveries, this was something new for me. The high school track is a mess. I probably should have bailed on the workout--there must be water, which froze, under the track. It bubbled in spaces and would crunch when you stepped in spots. I hope they don't plan on holding any outdoor spring track meets here. But hey, the new field looks nice.

\

onemile

I have some kind of weird post marathon cough/congestion going on

onemile

8 or something like that (GPS went a little crazy at the track). Tried the Mona fartlek, I'm sure  the recoveries were slower than they are supposed to be, but since I usually walk to recoveries, this was something new for me. The high school track is a mess. I probably should have bailed on the workout--there must be water, which froze, under the track. It bubbled in spaces and would crunch when you stepped in spots. I hope they don't plan on holding any outdoor spring track meets here. But hey, the new field looks nice.

That track looks rough

DavePNW

Your body was saving it all up. Now’s the time to bring it on!

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Effect of dry air in the plane vs humid air in TX? Or nasty germs from being crammed in a tin can with 150+ people.