Beginners and Beyond

Layering Up (Read 92 times)

GinnyinPA

39 and overcast today.  I wore tights, light long sleeved shirt and fleece vest, headband and polypro gloves.  Perfect.  Gloves came off at mile 4. Vest zipper went up or down depending on whether I was heading into the wind or away from it.  A little warm, but not bad. a few degrees higher or if the sun is out and the vest stays home.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

For me I think sun and wind makes a big difference. When it is sunny out I think it always feels a but warmer than whatever the weather site says the "feels like" is and when it is windy it always feels a bit colder than the "feels like" especially because where I do most of my running is along the water of the Verrazano Narrows and the way the wind whips through the channel can be very intense.

I'm a big fan of half zips, because as I warm up during the run I can unzip the neck and feel instantly a bit cooler. I have them in many different weights from very thin to thick and fleecy. Those are my cold weather staples and i layer under them accordingly ranging from tank top under up to an under armour cold gear mock neck under. I have thin smartwool gloves that I either wear alone or if very cold and/or windy I wear them as glove liners underneath windproof shell gloves. I have a water and wind resistant running jacket but only wear it if it is raining and under 45 degrees otherwise I am too hot.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

For me I think sun and wind makes a big difference. When it is sunny out I think it always feels a but warmer than whatever the weather site says the "feels like" is and when it is windy it always feels a bit colder than the "feels like" especially because where I do most of my running is along the water of the Verrazano Narrows and the way the wind whips through the channel can be very intense.

Yup, same here. Yesterday was 40 but overcast with a bit of a breeze off the lake, so I wore a long sleeve tech shirt, UA Heatgear leggings with Lululemon Hot Cheeks shorts over top, fleece headband and my cheap Target gloves and that was perfect. Without the wind or with some sun I could have gone with shorts and ditched the headband and gloves.

tracilynn

Now I want to buy a half zip

~~~~~~~

Traci

RSX

I don't run outside ever without checking the feel likes temp. That helps me a lot. Feels like temp was 30 yesterday. I wore a long sleeve shirt, and jacket plus hat, gloves etc. Tomorrow night group run hope we don't have to wait long for people as the temp will be around the same.

DavePNW

Every time I see this thread, I think it says "Lawyering Up".

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

The main problem I'm encountering is that because I am ancient and decrepit, my knees really *#^%ing hurt when they get too cold.  (This is in addition to the four+ month old knee injury.)  There are only SO many layers of tights I can put on, and they don't really do much besides for make the rest of me feel overdressed and bulky. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Every time I see this thread, I think it says "Lawyering Up".

I thought I was the only one!

Damaris

tracilynn

I just bought a half zip from runners warehouse. Kristin's fault!

~~~~~~~

Traci

No more marathons

Today was a no brainer - 51 degrees and cloudy.  Shorts and a short sleeve cotton t - no gloves, no hat.

Tomorrow will be a different animal.  Calling for 31 with a feels like of 21 because of wind.  Sunny.

I'm going with shorts, medium weight smart wool shirt with a short sleeve cotton t over that.  Gloves, hat, and sunglasses.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

This is what I ordered from running warehouse last week.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-NFWMTHZ.html

This:

And it looks like it will be delivered today!! Just in time for tomorrow's run!!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

planning for the wind is the toughest part. The wind can make or break an outfit.

+1

They are calling for 19 degrees with wind chill of 5, for tomorrow mornings run.  Having run through it all last winter I know that's the wind from hell!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My North Face thermal came in!!! Glad I got the Medium instead of S, this one is extra comfy

it even has a zipper pocket thing on the back, big enough for my phone but I probably wouldn't put it there since it would flap about.

See the little yellow line thingy?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Today was a no brainer - 51 degrees and cloudy.  Shorts and a short sleeve cotton t - no gloves, no hat.

Tomorrow will be a different animal.  Calling for 31 with a feels like of 21 because of wind.  Sunny.

I'm going with shorts, medium weight smart wool shirt with a short sleeve cotton t over that.  Gloves, hat, and sunglasses.

I'd freeze the rest of the day. I ran a 5k a few weeks ago and it was 45-50 with gale force winds. I never got warm on the course and had on tights, half zip, short sleeve under the half zip, gloves, etc.

Personal tolerance for cold is another variable. I am always cold, I usually am under a blanket in the summer.

LRB

Personal tolerance for cold is another variable. 

That's a great point, it doesn't bother me as much when running but 2 hours later when I'm wearing real clothes I am freezing my ass off in weather I was just running in wearing half as much!