Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins (Read 27 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)Big grin

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I know it's not a very creative title.  It's 7:30 though, and I have to return to work soon.  BOOO!!!

I went for another run last night after writing my RR.  The second run was awesome.  The temps dropped last night.  It was really really nice.  This week is a peak mileage week.  So, I'm looking at 60+ miles.

Have a great week everybody!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

After 3 weeks off, back to work I go. Today was supposed to be a SRD but since I only ran 3 miles yesterday and not 6.2 I may try to get in sone miles later.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning awood and Kristin.  Short run planned after work.  Streak intact. Busy week ahead.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  9 miles with 6X800s tonight.

My 9 last night went Ok.  Couldn't breathe well but they were done at a nice pace.

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

First day of school, woohoo! Smile  Just sent our first grader off to school.

Planned on some recovery miles yesterday, but after housework and yardwork, I was done.  I'll get some easy miles in later today.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone. Went for a run yesterday only to have my IT Band start acting up after the first mile. At least I'm assuming that is what it was. The pain started on the outside of my knee and progressively moved up to my hip the longer I tried to run with the pain. First mile was 8:55, after that it started really flaring up and had to walk/run the last 2.5 miles at a avg of 13m/m.

I think some of the pain stems from the weight I have gained over the past 2 months or so and still trying to run at the pace I was at before. I'm up about 12lbs. With that being said I've deicded to shoot for 1750 calorie deficit for the next 3 to 4 weeks. that should put me back down to where I was.

As for the weekend. I would have to call it the "Spider Wars". Apparently a spider decided to lay its eggs in our house so we woke up to find about 30 little tiny spiders inside a lamp shade in our living room. Of course on top of that I killed a black widow that was hanging out inside the cover of our "sewer free" water outlet in our yard. Tack that onto the 2 wolf spiders? that decided to make their gigantic webs on our back porch to which I walked into both... with spiders attached. Needless to say I made a trip to Lowes and bought some Ortho Home Defense and sprayed the inside and out of our house.

Oh!!! Don't think I've mentioned this to you guys yet, We're having another baby!!!!!!!!!!! First Dr. appt is next week!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I have a tempo run scheduled for tonight 9 miles with 5@7:45. It will be tough because of the heat. Hopefully, these babies will help.

JBJ: Congrats to you and the family.

kristin: thanks. I saw your answer and I will consider it.

Bin Running

Jimmy, congrats!

8M w/ 3 @ 8:05. Still a little cough but I think I'm on the mend. Oh. Beside Jimmy and Tomas, my DD is due in mid oct. Looks like penguins are a productive flock. Hee

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.  To the US Penguins, welcome back to reality after the long weekend.

Awood -- you are a mileage monster!  Good job.

Kristen -- hopefully you can ease into work after such a nice long break

Jerry, DR, D^2 -- enjoy the runs later

JBJ -- Congratulations on the baby news!  Be careful you don't have "sympathetic weight gain" with your wife. Wink

Jack -- I wanted shoes in that color pattern, but they didn't have my size and I didn't want to wait to order.  Maybe next time...

AFM:

I took a couple of extra rest days over the long weekend, due to tired legs / bad weather / being busy.  But I think the little break was good for me.

I did my LR on Sunday, and decided to explore a different area near our mountain house.  I found a nice place to run, mostly on a deserted gravel road surrounded by trees.  It was very quiet and serene.  The only person I saw was one man with a camper, cooking bacon over a fire.  Last night I pulled up Google Earth to show DH where I had been running…and found out that desolate road is called “Hell Hollow Road”.  I’m not sure I would’ve been so serene had I known where I was. Surprised

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  First day of school for me.  Also a RD.  Happily, there are NO babies expected here, hehe!  But congrats to Bin and Jimmy! Smile

Awood- Glad the second run went well!

Kristin- Have a good first day back!

Jerry- Nice streak!  Have a great week!

D- Good luck on the 800s.  One just about kicked my butt last week.

D2- Congrats to your first grader!  It's my job to come in and take all the fun out of things by testing them to death.

Jimmy- Woah!  Take it easy out there!  Your speed and fitness will return.   Good to see you again.

Bin- Glad you got a good run in.

Margo- Hell Hollow Road- yikes!  Sounds lovely, though!

hog4life

Awood, thanks for the start, off to find your RR.

Kristin, GL getting the run in later. Is Meaghan really tall? Or are you really short? Haha, couldn't help it, sorry. That is so cool that she's willing to pace you.

Jerry, GL on the run, how long is the streak now?

Damaris, enjoy the 800's , yea right! Mine sucked last night.

Dave, before you know it, your first grader will be graduating HS.

Jimmy, congratulations to you and Ashley. are you guys planning to come up for the Liz Hurley again?

Jack, hope the heat isn't to bad for you. Nice shoes!

Bin, glad to hear the cough is finally starting to ease up.

Phillie, that was funny about Hell Hollar, er, I mean hollow.

My dad is back in the hospital with a severe cough, they think he might have phneumonia. He has MS, so this is not good.

I ended with 7+ miles yesterday, that was broken into 3 runs. First was 4.4 miles with some 800 repeats, then had to scale back to 400's. Second run  was 1.25 with the NOBO group. And third was 1.8 run/walk with Bella.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Jimmy, sounds like ITB alright.  Congratulations!

Mitch, they have kicked my butt the last 3 of the 4 times.

Hi, Z.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sounds like a peaceful LR, although too quiet for me.

Good morning everyone.  To the US Penguins, welcome back to reality after the long weekend.

Awood -- you are a mileage monster!  Good job.

Kristen -- hopefully you can ease into work after such a nice long break

Jerry, DR, D^2 -- enjoy the runs later

JBJ -- Congratulations on the baby news!  Be careful you don't have "sympathetic weight gain" with your wife. Wink

Jack -- I wanted shoes in that color pattern, but they didn't have my size and I didn't want to wait to order.  Maybe next time...

AFM:

I took a couple of extra rest days over the long weekend, due to tired legs / bad weather / being busy.  But I think the little break was good for me.

I did my LR on Sunday, and decided to explore a different area near our mountain house.  I found a nice place to run, mostly on a deserted gravel road surrounded by trees.  It was very quiet and serene.  The only person I saw was one man with a camper, cooking bacon over a fire.  Last night I pulled up Google Earth to show DH where I had been running…and found out that desolate road is called “Hell Hollow Road”.  I’m not sure I would’ve been so serene had I known where I was. Surprised

Damaris

Zelanie

Mitch- Sending good thoughts for your dad!

1:00 plank done.