Beginners and Beyond

Testudineous Thursday Penguins (Read 22 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Testudineous - To be as slow as a tortoise.

photo penguintortoise_zps3c5ff0a6.jpg

Testudineous - To be as slow as a tortoise.

Given the weather some of us are having today, I'm sure a lot of us are testudineous this morning.    In my area - San Antonio - we dropped from highs of 60s yesterday to a low this morning of 30, very windy, and sleeting this morning.  There are accidents all over our local highways this morning.  Why idiots would get on the highway in these conditions anyway is beyond me, especially as we South Texans are terrible bad-weather drivers.  I sure was testudineous. I took the back roads to work, very little traffic.  My normally 20-minute commute took 40 minutes, but I don't care, I got here safely.  Our high today will shoot up to the 40s and it will be very windy, and the 'feels like' temp will be around 37, but there will be sunshine, so I plan after work to get in about 3-4 miles of hills.  I got my base layer so I won't get chilled during my walk breaks in that gusty wind.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning Scotty and Pengs.  3F here, but sunny.  We can barely see around corners with the snow piled so high at every driveway.  Took me 15 minutes to get to work yesterday instead of  the usual 10.

Short run again after work and it's the weekend.  Have the heating guy coming out today since our furnace sometimes fails to start.  Starter works, but no gas coming through.  Then it will work when we reset the thermostat.  $$$$$

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  Ended up with a short run last night because they called that my new car was ready, so I had to cut it short.  Good because it was so fucking hot and humid, my iPod was sweating.  It was not a painful 3 so at least there is that.

I didn't get my bike yesterday because they got it but had no time to arm it.  Hoping to get it today.  I'll call at 10am to remind the guy.  I can be very persistent on calls. 

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  It's snowing here, and supposed to snow all day.  DD's school is closed, but mine is still open atm.  They are probably not wanting to close since we missed a week already in Dec., but we're supposed to get up to 7 inches, and it will be hard to send the kids back home once they're there.

I ran my track workout in 28 degrees with a "feels like" of 18 yesterday.  Not terrible compared to what some of you have had to run in, but man that headwind on the far turn was brutal!  Today I have 8, either out in the snow or on the TM.

Zoe is in the clear for now.  We will do more steroid shots if her symptoms come back.  She pretty much has old man bones even though she is a young dog.

Scotty- Glad you got there safely!  I will try to be testudineous in my drive to and from work today if I have to go.

Jerry- Hope the heating guy finds the problem!

D- That must be so frustrating about the bike!

hog4life

Zel, I had similar conditions for my run last night. Glad to hear Zoe is feeling better.

Damaris, sounds like Xmas in Miami, new bike, new car . I'm gonna test drive a Scott bike very similar to the ones you got. Guy is asking $800 for $1100 worth of used bikes, so we'll see. I think if I'm gonna spend that much, I'll just buy new.

Scotty, your vocabulary words make me feel like I'm back in school. I always hated trying to learn new words.

Im looking for some recovery miles later.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  Well, I got neither my walk nor my yoga done yesterday -- I got busy at work troubleshooting, so there was no walk.  And then DH had a thing at church that got him home about 7:45, so I opted to spend the hour and a half before bed hanging with him rather than trying to be Bendy Wendy.  It's all good.  Chorus practice tonight!!

Scotty -- yeah, it's windy and cold here too, although nothing is falling from the skies.  Speaking of which, I think the oddest thing I've seen fall from the skies was a rain of feathers, which turned out to be from a pigeon that a hawk had just captured above my car.

Jerryb -- hope y'all get the heat fixed!!  

Docket -- you're getting a new car too?  What kind?

Zelanie -- glad Zoe is doing ok, and hope you stay safe in the snow!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

*Waves at Mitch!*

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Zel, I had similar conditions for my run last night. Glad to hear Zoe is feeling better.

Damaris, sounds like Xmas in Miami, new bike, new car . I'm gonna test drive a Scott bike very similar to the ones you got. Guy is asking $800 for $1100 worth of used bikes, so we'll see. I think if I'm gonna spend that much, I'll just buy new.

Scotty, your vocabulary words make me feel like I'm back in school. I always hated trying to learn new words.

Im looking for some recovery miles later.

Mine is a touring (cruising) bike.  X60 model (last year's).  We paid $550 each and they are both new.

Hope's Mom, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Cool!  I like new cars.  Unfortunately I'm not fond of the car payment!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I got in six miles last night and am hoping for four today. We are expecting rain today so we'll see. I don't mind running in a nice cool drizzle but rain is something else. If I don't get it today then tomorrow will be fine. DD2 has a three day swim meet this weekend so we will also have to get our miles in around that.

Hog: Of the two night splints, which one did you use? The more plastic looking one? I think it was the first one.

Have a good day everyone.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Morning Pens! Slow 30 minutes on the TM babying my ITBS. It felt ok. I'm looking forward to and dreading my race at the same time 

I'll be glad to get it behind me so I can stop obsessing about it haha!

Anyway good luck everyone with your training today

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone! Hope everyone is have a great day! I'm pretty sore in my legs today. I ran 6.2 miles of very hilly terrain. It was an out and back and really wore me out. I didn't want to slow down the guys I was with to much so I finished with a 9:29m/m avg. They were cruising up those hills at like 8m/m and talking the whole time, but then again they have been marathon training and would run 20 miles on these hilly roads around here...

Doing another group run tonight. Our local fleet feet is having a winter warrior fun run every thursday from now until april 24th. Its free to participate and if you make every Thurs run you get a Brooks Winter Warrior tech shirt! They have 3 and 6 mile groups.

SO42 - I'm not running the Mercedes but some guys that I work with are and I plan on being there to cheer them all on. Maybe I'll see you there.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Jimmy - Cool, send me a private message and we can figure out a place to meet up at the race before or after.

Zelanie

I got to school and was there maybe 15 minutes when they finally decided to close elementaries (middle school and high school kids are already there).  Luckily, I made it home.  I was literally the only car on I-5 southbound, because it was closed maybe an exit or 2 to the north because of a 20-car accident.  Northbound is also closed now due to another accident just south of where I was going.  Visibility was terrible.

I am hoping that there are no injuries due to people trying to get to or from school in these conditions.  That's why you close for this kind of stuff!