Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

I guess we should all be doing Crossfit!  Linky

Singer who runs a smidge

There is definitely much to be said for more all-around fitness, not just running.  Though at this point I'd settle for just running ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, stretching update:  it's much easier for me to hold a 3-minute stretch if I remember to grab my phone beforehand so that I can play solitaire and distract my brain.

Also, I did find a hip flexor stretch that I can actually do, though I'm not convinced that I'm stretching my hip flexors exactly.  I think it's more my quads.  Video is linked, fast-forward through the guy's annoying rambly talk to the actual good stuff.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Osnzkd4zCo

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Ok, stretching update:  it's much easier for me to hold a 3-minute stretch if I remember to grab my phone beforehand so that I can play solitaire and distract my brain.

first 2 minutes are ok - it's the 3rd where I want to scream.

wed & thurs done.....later tonight for day 3

Hip Redux

I have been doing well stretching, but I tell ya - my groin has been hurting more.  Coincidence?   Ergh.

DavePNW

Also, I did find a hip flexor stretch that I can actually do, though I'm not convinced that I'm stretching my hip flexors exactly. 

Did you see this thread?

Dave

happylily

LTH linked an article not too long ago which was against stretching. Or rather, anti-static stretching. Dynamic stretching was ok, according to the article. It was in RW that he posted his link, I don't remember seeing it here, but maybe he did.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

LTH linked an article not too long ago which was against stretching. Or rather, anti-static stretching. Dynamic stretching was ok, according to the article. It was in RW that he posted his link, I don't remember seeing it here, but maybe he did.

This one?  Linky

(I do dynamic warm up before running, but static stretching after...)

happylily

This one?  Linky

(I do dynamic warm up before running, but static stretching after...)

I don't know if it's the one, I didn't click on the link (but please don't tell Brad that Big grin). Brad had a theory that seemed sort of logical about being very flexible goes against being an efficient runner. I wish he explained it here. I can't remember now. I'll look for the thread in RW and link it here.

happylily

happylily

I can't find LTH's post about his theory, though. I really wish he'd explain it here. We should ask him.

Hip Redux

I don't know if it's the one, I didn't click on the link (but please don't tell Brad that Big grin). Brad had a theory that seemed sort of logical about being very flexible goes against being an efficient runner. I wish he explained it here. I can't remember now. I'll look for the thread in RW and link it here.

There is certainly a reason to not be too flexible - and that stretching for the sake of stretching without reason can also be problematic, but when inflexibility alters running gait, then I think it's warranted.  But like anything, I'm sure there are conflicting ideas out there!

All I know is that I went the first three years of running without stretching much at all and I have yet to make it through a whole season uninjured.  Can't hurt to try something else lol

happylily

What I know is that I'm not flexible in general, but never had any problems due to that. But my training for Boston had me do lots of hills, speedwork and higher mileage and my calves became very hard as a result. I felt the tightness, but I didn't stretch them and ignored the discomfort. Then horrible heel pain appeared one day and there was no more running for me for two months. So from now on, I'll be more careful with things like that.

Singer who runs a smidge

But there's a tremendous difference between being very flexible (which doesn't help, really) and being so tight that you lack the necessary mobility to run efficiently.  The clinic dude says (for example) that if you can do a hamstring stretch and get to 70 degrees, that's plenty.  Unless you're doing steeplechase or hurdles, you don't need any more.  But I have about 30 degrees, which is not enough freedom of movement not to cause me to compensate in weird ways which eventually cause me pain.  And that's just the hamstrings!

Plus, in all honesty, if I'm weighing LTH's advice against a guy running a running diagnostic center at a major university, seeing hundreds of runners per year, giving seminars and writing papers in peer-reviewed journals, I am not going with LTH.  He's a smart guy and a good runner, but he's also an experiment of one, and he doesn't run for a living.  Fixing runners is Jay Dicharry's life work.

Singer who runs a smidge

Did you see this thread?

Thanks, but my knees will not allow most of that.  I like the theory of the spiderman pose, but doubt I could pull it off!