Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Do you allow admittance on this thread if the disability is due to surgery?? 

Damaris

LRB

That is a great question best posed to the great and powerful Oz O Skizzy.

Hip Redux

Absolutely.  We are all welcoming here in this thread.

LRB - Nice lol

Nevrgivup

So I got myself in the pool yesterday. I swam about 350 yards. It had been awhile since doing so and I have to admit, I look forward to going back tomorrow. I'm a bit worried that I may have reherniated my L5S1 disc that I had surgery on in 2010. The symptoms are so similar and at this point, I'd rather not run than go through that again. Taking it a day at a time. I had to take a year off with that injury, and I didn't die. No real diagnosis just sciatica at this point.

I am an optimist and work with whatever I have to. If I can't run, you better believe if pain allows, that I'm swimming, using the elliptical, working on my strength, whatever to keep me sane and not fat. Lol. Exercise will always be a part of my life. I have started physical therapy and I will be doing acupuncture after the holiday.

So thankful to have a place to vent and I'm sorry for all the injured here.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I sure hope so, cause no one is kicking me out come March!

Hilary, I am sorry that you are here!  But getting all healed up in order to start marathon training is important.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy still the groin injury or something different?

Always the groin injury.  I'm going under the knife for it soon.

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

I sure hope so, cause no one is kicking me out come March!

Hilary, I am sorry that you are here!  But getting all healed up in order to start marathon training is important.

Thanks Mandy! It seems like I get some sort of injury once a year. I agree. I just want to be healthy, and being conservative is better than making things worse. If my gait is off than I could end up in a more serious predicament .

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So, while I have to admit that my knee is feeling pretty good lately, I'm being a good boy and not running on it. (Grrr!)  It's hard to believe I have not lost my sanity by not running, but cross training has helped me.  I also did bike shopping.  We  got Christmas bonuses at work so I decided to splurge on myself.  I asked the family for safety gear & after a couple weeks of research & shopping I bought myself one of these yesterday.....

It is a Cannondale Quick 4 & one sick piece of engineering!!  I put her on her maiden voyage last night for about 7 speedy miles.  (If anybody remembers my bike speed thread, I averaged around 5min/miles & on this thing the same effort is 4min/miles. (yikes!)  Yes, significantly faster!  Carbon forks, wheels as light as air & just a very comfortable geometry.  It's an awesome bike.  Legs are feeling it a bit this morning but plan to get good at this bike thing regardless of how my running future goes.  I think I'll need this as an avenue going forward cuz my joints aren't going to get younger.

If anybody else is considering it, I can't recommend Cannondale's Quick line enough.

Randy

Nevrgivup

Nice bike redrum! 

Injuries suck, but they give us ample opportunity to explore other things. I'm glad you have some sort-of outlet and haven't lost your mind yet. 

Just B.S.

Sweet! A carbon bike makes a huge difference . Hubby and I are both triathletes and have full carbon road bikes. He also has a

carbon tribike.

I love swimmimg and cycling and am a big believer that multisport is what has kept me injury free for so many years.

Hope u enjoy the cycling and keep it up after your return to running .

So, while I have to admit that my knee is feeling pretty good lately, I'm being a good boy and not running on it. (Grrr!)  It's hard to believe I have not lost my sanity by not running, but cross training has helped me.  I also did bike shopping.  We  got Christmas bonuses at work so I decided to splurge on myself.  I asked the family for safety gear & after a couple weeks of research & shopping I bought myself one of these yesterday.....

It is a Cannondale Quick 4 & one sick piece of engineering!!  I put her on her maiden voyage last night for about 7 speedy miles.  (If anybody remembers my bike speed thread, I averaged around 5min/miles & on this thing the same effort is 4min/miles. (yikes!)  Yes, significantly faster!  Carbon forks, wheels as light as air & just a very comfortable geometry.  It's an awesome bike.  Legs are feeling it a bit this morning but plan to get good at this bike thing regardless of how my running future goes.  I think I'll need this as an avenue going forward cuz my joints aren't going to get younger.

If anybody else is considering it, I can't recommend Cannondale's Quick line enough.

GinnyinPA

Damaris - did the surgeon tell you how long you have to refrain from running?

bluerun

Super B****

Hear, hear -- I've got one!!  (That's permanently parked on the trainer since I refuse to break anything in another crash, but that's another story.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Nice bike, redrum!  I spent most of the year on a bike -- started commuting to work, even.  It kept me reasonably sane and was a means to shed my injury weight and enjoy being outside again pain free.  I think every runner should own a bike.

Do I get kicked out of this thread for running 12 miles today?

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I think every runner should own a bike.

Do I get kicked out of this thread for running 12 miles today?

1) Agreed. (did 45 minutes on the spin bike today myself)

2)  Depends - were they painfree?  If no, you are welcome to stay.  Big grin

Nevrgivup

So I bought myself a new bathing suit today to keep inspired. I also signed up to volunteer for Boston again in the event I am unable to run. Dh has a lot of faith that I'll be running and this will be a memory come marathon day. I HOPE so. I have one angry butt muscle. Looking forward to acupuncture. I have never done it, but I'm willing to try since I hear great things about it. 

Mandy- Good for you for being able to run! Get it now before surgery. Right??