Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Just B.S.

Dang........I went to the Y with the pool today.  While they do keep it heated & the place is certainly less crowded than the local gyms, my jaw dropped a little at their prices.

$60 one-time membership fee

$31/month for ages 22-54.  (Whaooaa???) 

$9/day if you choose to just use daily (3 days in the month & you're practically there) 

Granted the L.A. fitness & 24 hours fitness are $99 down and $30/month but I was still just a bit surprised.  That's some real money.  Not exactly the "Y" I remember it to be.  Maybe I'm stuck in the 80's? 

Our pool doesn't have a joiners fee but the monthly cost is about the same ( $36 a month here )

and since hubby also swims we pay double.

Those fees look comparable to any facility here with a pool.

Nevrgivup

So this morning, I am limping around. How can my injury be getting worse?? I was in tears with the physiatrist's secretary this morning. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they can see me today. The pain in my hip is unbearable. I haven't slept good in the last few nights either.

Can I complain here?  Seriously between not running, being in pain, and lack of sleep I am a freaking mess. I told my husband that I am out for Boston because I cannot deal with this pain any longer and will have to rest this hip. He still has faith. Love the guy, but the physiatrist will likely tell me the same.

How the hell did it get this bad??? I was a little tight going into the massage and BAM she F'd me up. I read somewhere that micro tears in the gluteus can effect the greater trochanter's bursa or something like that. I can hardly put weight on my hip.

Anyone have an injury similar to this? So glad I have today and tomorrow off from work. The weird thing is that it is better when I'm walking but excruciating at rest. I LOL to myself as a nurse and said I'd take a shot of Dilaudid (the strongest narcotic) right into it.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh no Hilary (((hugs))) SadSad. I still wouldn't give up on Boston quite yet but it really sucks that it is getting worse!!! That sounds awful!! I'm really really sorry. Do you really think it was just the massage? It sounds like there is more going on than something that a deep massage could do. I hope you get answers at the physiatrist!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Nevrgivup

Oh no Hilary (((hugs))) SadSad. I still wouldn't give up on Boston quite yet but it really sucks that it is getting worse!!! That sounds awful!! I'm really really sorry. Do you really think it was just the massage? It sounds like there is more going on than something that a deep massage could do. I hope you get answers at the physiatrist!

They just called back and he is on vacation. I haven't gone there since my groin injury in 2012. The nurse was a little rude. Ugh. I put her in her place. I have a PPO (Thank the lord) no referrals needed so why not go straight to the guy that is going to treat me anyway. I just feel like I will lose way too much training and can't even imagine running never mind walking far on this injury right now. I will see his partner at 1pm tomorrow. I HAVE to see someone! Frustrated is an understatement. 

Regarding the massage, I did not feel this before going in. Weird. Its as if there is a pinching of a nerve or inflammation of some sort going on in that area. I ran 5 miles after the massage.

LRB

So this morning, I am limping around. How can my injury be getting worse??

I am uncertain, especially since this apparently stemmed from a massage.  At my worst with my SI injury, I had a tough time walking and standing up from a seated position.

I did a self adjustment on my SI joint and the excruciating pain stopped the same day.   Coincidentally (or not so), the pain I had been dealing with in my right hip for over a year also stopped.

Have your doc take a look at your hips to make sure everything is aligned properly, and not rotated forward or backward.  The self adjustment for an SI joint is fairly simple, but with your history of back issues, you would be better served letting a professional do it.  If they deem it necessary.

Hip Redux

The only time I had pain like that get worse like that was when I had a herniated disc.   Every day the pain was worse and worse until it was unbearable.   Sad  I'm really sorry you are dealing with this!

Nevrgivup

I am uncertain, especially since this apparently stemmed from a massage.  At my worst with my SI injury, I had a tough time walking and standing up from a seated position.  I did a self adjustment on my SI joint and the excruciating pain stopped the same day.

Coincidentally (or not so), the pain I had been dealing with in my right hip for over a year also stopped.

Have your doc take a look at your hips to make sure everything is aligned properly, and not rotated forward or backward.  The self adjustment for an SI joint is fairly simple, but with your history of back issues, you would be better served letting a professional do it.

Did your pain hurt worse with rest and at night? The research I did really points to a few things, but the pain is right in the trochanter region. Trochanter bursitis hurts worse at night. There was a good article that I posted the other day that describes my symptoms to a T. My physical therapist looked at me and said I was in alignment just the other day. I just want the pain to go away so I can freaking sleep. Every hour waking up is not good. I cannot even lie on my left side.

Nevrgivup

The only time I had pain like that get worse like that was when I had a herniated disc.   Every day the pain was worse and worse until it was unbearable.   Sad  I'm really sorry you are dealing with this!

Thanks Oski. I will figure this out eventually I guess. I cancelled my physical therapy appointment today. I hate spending more and more money on this if I'm getting worse. Hopefully the physiatrist can do a thorough exam tomorrow and order what needs to be done. I hate the run around.

LRB

Did your pain hurt worse with rest and at night?

I did not feel anything as long as I lay perfectly still, but the moment I went to get up or to turn, it reminded me that I was not healed.

Complete rest from running and all other physical activity did not help.  A team of professionals (sports doc, chiro, masseuse) also did not help.  It was actually a poster here (Gustav1) who suggested I see a PT.

I asked for a script from my sports doc to see a PT and she was the one who figured it all out over a period of a week.  It then took 5 weeks of working with her to get to the point where I could run again.

But initially, the pain was so bad that I actually took pharmaceuticals, something I never do, but I was desperate.

Nevrgivup

I did not feel anything as long as I lay perfectly still, but the moment I went to get up or to turn, it reminded me that I was not healed.

Complete rest from running and all other physical activity did not help.  A team of professionals (sports doc, chiro, masseuse) also did not help.  It was actually a poster here (Gustav1) who suggested I see a PT.

I asked for a script from my sports doc to see a PT and she was the one who figured it all out over a period of a week.  It then took 5 weeks of working with her to get to the point where I could run again.

But initially, the pain was so bad that I actually took pharmaceuticals, something I never do, but I was desperate.

Yeah, I don't like to take anything either. I am taking Ibuprofen as needed and a muscle relaxer as needed. The one I have is not habit forming, so it can't be that bad. I hate relying on medication, but when the pain is so bad.

My pain hurts worse at rest. When I'm up and moving its there, but not as severe. I will definitely be going back to physical therapy once I have an accurate diagnosis and plan.

LRB

I will definitely be going back to physical therapy once I have an accurate diagnosis and plan.

Or, consider going to one if you are not provided with an accurate diagnosis.

Nevrgivup

Running injuries are so frustrating because it can be so many things. I've considered working in orthopedics or sports medicine in the future as an NP. I have mad experience as a patient. We are resilient though and make our way back to the sport. Being injured has taught me to not keep all my eggs in one basket and that cross-training is a must. If only one had so much time to do it all. I need to really reassess my goals after this.

Hilary, I am so sorry to hear about your worsening pain. pole on the lack of sleep and I can totally understand your frustration. I hope you get some answers tomorrow and they are the kind that can be dealt with on a prompt fashion.  The waiting and worrying is sometes harder than the pain. Hang in there!

redrum, does your local school district have a pool? Before joining the Y I would swim at HS pool for very cheap. The only issue was the hours of operation were very limited.

Marie

Nevrgivup

bluerun

Super B****

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog