Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I LOVE the orange.

+1  That's a sweet looking bike!

Running is dumb.

onemile

I am a pink fan.  I thought about putting pink handlebar tape on mine and probably will eventually!

I had it in my head that I really wanted either matte carbon or all white.

Hip Redux

I am a pink fan.  I thought about putting pink handlebar tape on mine and probably will eventually!

I had it in my head that I really wanted either matte carbon or all white.

Picking the colors was the hardest part  lol

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

It's a steel road bike with disk brakes.  Totally right up my alley.  Not as light or as speedy as yours, but I'm all about the comfort when riding to work!  http://freewheelbike.com/product/13salsa-colossal-2-15692.htm

Wonder why we talk so much about bikes in the injury thread.

Hey!  Watch your mouth!! 

My plan is working perfectly!!!  Muua ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!!!  

Actually, when you think you're drooling over a $5,200 Cannondale (me too) take a gander at this Peter Sagan Edition......

My LBS has this puppy (the 2014 version, actually) and their DISCOUNTED price is $9,999!!!!

But as nice as this is, I think my favorite all-time bike designer is Colnago!!!

Just Google Colnago and you will see bikes so beautiful that some of them probably shouldn't even be ridden.  (Be still my heart!)  

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well, since nobody's bitchin', pissin' or moanin' in this thread, everybody must be feeling perfect, right?  Sooooo, I guess I'll just have to post more bike shots.  Here's a sample of the Colnago bikes I was talking about.  Tell me that ain't just friggin' beautiful.  (From a joint-health perspective, of course) .........

Randy

workinprogress11

I am willing to take one for the team and start the bitching and moaning for today.

I have been having knee issues since my marathon in October. The knee keeps filling up with fluid and hurts like a bitch. My MRI showed I have osteoarthritis in the knee with a lot of the cartilage messed up, though not torn. There is considerable bone bruising from the bones bumping against each other due to the bad cartilage.   It looks like there is not much that can be done to fix it other than to lighten my activity load. I can keep getting it drained and shot up, but I guess it will never be well.

My doctor who is also a long distance runner said there are probably no more PRs for me which means a BQ, which is what I've been working so hard for, is out the window.   He said I could continue running as tolerated but will probably eventually need a total knee replacement.   The knee is feeling ok right now because I just had it drained and got a cortisone shot, but I am finding it difficult to get out there as I know it is just going to go downhill again.  I know the sensible thing is to start looking at lower impact activities but at the moment the thought of not being able to run as I want to is terribly depressing.  The doctor gave me an industrial type brace to wear when running and a small part of me keeps hoping it will miraculously help.

The cherry on top of all of this is that I have suddenly started having these weird, shooting electric jolt pains down both of my legs that is waking me up at night. Google has not been helpful so far.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to do bitching and moaning justice. 

Hip Redux

Damn, that sucks, WIP Sad

I was doing some research this week for other non-impact alternatives and saw the ElliptiGo.  I know it looks totally lame BUT from what I can see people love it, particularly folks who were runners.    I watched a few videos and it looked fun.  Better than being tied to the elliptical in the gym for the rest of my life, at least.

Singer who runs a smidge

WIP, that is an excellent bitch and moan post!!  My dad has similar issues with his knee, though he is absolutely not a runner, or terribly active in any way.  He gets his knee drained and shot on a regular basis, but "regular" is anywhere from six months to two years.  Your doc may be underestimating the power of a determined runner!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Damn, that sucks, WIP Sad

I was doing some research this week for other non-impact alternatives and saw the ElliptiGo.  I know it looks totally lame BUT from what I can see people love it, particularly folks who were runners.    I watched a few videos and it looked fun.  Better than being tied to the elliptical in the gym for the rest of my life, at least.

I so want a StreetStrider!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

onemile

Sorry to hear it WIP.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

WIP,

I'm gonna throw this out there EVEN THOUGH it sounds like you've got a running advocate for a doctor.  If I were you and if running is that important, I'd get a 2nd opinion!!

There are so many opinions on what can be done, what can't be done, etc. etc.

I'll use as a better example than I know I or my insurance could afford........Toward the end of the NFL season I remember specifically hearing Chris Collinsworth talking about a defensive player (forgive me, I can't remember team or player) who had talked about finding a doctor to repair his knee to the point of being able to retire so he could live the rest of his life happily.

Well, the particular doctor he ran into said...."How about I get your knee ready to play a few more years of football at a high level?"

And while I won't pretend to know what "tips or tricks" an orthopedic could use to help a knee, I will say that this player was playing extremely well, explosively quick and looked about as excited as anyone on the field to be playing.  This was after 3 doctors and 3 different surgeries to repair a knee that other docs had pretty much written off....(at least as I recall Collinsworth telling it).

Not too shabby for a guy who was just hoping to be able to retire without pain, eh?

Randy

workinprogress11

Thanks for the support all.  Redrum, I am definitely looking at other options and may end up going to another physician if my doctor isn't able or willing to do them. I'm also lucky enough to be near Chicago so I am looking at some clinical trials out of there as well.

I had a decent run yesterday and am going out for a slow 10 miles with a friend this morning before the next snow dump hits. I may as well get out there while the fluid is gone and the cortisone is still working.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am sorry to hear this, workinprogress!

Sweet bike, Oski!

I have two more weeks of no running, blah.  But nothing compared to what you guys are going through.  Keep being strong!

Damaris

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Thanks for the support all.  Redrum, I am definitely looking at other options and may end up going to another physician if my doctor isn't able or willing to do them. I'm also lucky enough to be near Chicago so I am looking at some clinical trials out of there as well.

I had a decent run yesterday and am going out for a slow 10 miles with a friend this morning before the next snow dump hits. I may as well get out there while the fluid is gone and the cortisone is still working.

One more recommendation until you can get a 2nd opinion.........Cut the mileage!!!  10 miles is quite a bit and while you *can* physically, I think you'd probably do your joints a favor by cutting them a bit.  Even 5 miles is more than 98% of the population of the world is probably running. (If your current doc said it doesn't matter anyway, then so be it, but I know my Ortho was ALL ABOUT cutting mileage until my MRI was done)

In the meantime, I'm going to try & find more details on that NFL player I was talking about.

FOUND IT ------>

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1846801-new-york-giants-cornerback-terrell-thomas-refuses-to-go-away

(Dr. James was the guy Cris Collinsworth mentioned as someone who has taken a different philosophy in the, "give up on the knee" train of thought which is why he was recommended to Terrell Thomas after miracles he'd worked elsewhere)

Also, Lindsey Vonn comes to mind.  I know she's said she has almost NO ACL left in her bad knee and while I know that's not optimal, I don't think she sees NOT skiing at World's as an option seeing as she seemed pretty ticked she had missed the Olympics.

Randy

Nevrgivup

WIP- I'm so sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you do get a second opinion. I would have to agree with what Redrum said about cutting the mileage. You may do more damage if you continue to run when it is already pretty unstable. 10 miles is a lot on an already stressed joint. Of course you are going to do what you want.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.