Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

LRB

WIP

I have a friend who was told nearly 20 years ago that a knee replacement was the only option, she is still running on that same knee!

With the proper shoes, a possible adjustment in form, and proper rest and recovery, you can do the same.

You are as prudent as any runner in this group so I trust you know what is best for you.  Hang in there!

workinprogress11

WIP

I have a friend who was told nearly 20 years ago that a knee replacement was the only option, she is still running on that same knee!

With the proper shoes, a possible adjustment in form, and proper rest and recovery, you can do the same.

You are as prudent as any runner in this group so I trust you know what is best for you.  Hang in there!

That is definitely encouraging. I was wondering if I should make a change to my shoes. I've been in Brooks Adrenaline since the beginning due to pronation issues, but wonder if another type of shoe would be kinder to my knee.  I will have to do some research on that. My doctor recommended shorter faster strides which the brace has sort of been forcing me to do anyway. That's been an interesting adjustment.  It felt really weird at first, but I'm getting used to it.

I appreciate everyone's concern. I am trying to be reasonable and am trying to play it day by day. I want to do what I can on days where Ithe knee feels ok, but am not afraid to bail if things are going badly.  I am going to force myself to do strength training on the knee (yawn)  and do all icing, NSAIDS, etc... that my doctor recommended.  Since there is no miracle cure, I have to find a way to co-exist with it.  Just another bump in the road, right?

Hip Redux

Good luck to Mandy today with her surgery!

workinprogress11

Best wishes, Mandy!  Speedy recovery to you!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thanks you guys!  I'm currently parked at home in a recliner while on drugs!

WIP, I'm really sorry to hear about your knee Sad

Running is dumb.

workinprogress11

Thanks, Mandy!  I hope you got the good drugs 

Hip Redux

Drugs, yay!  :P

So what did they end up having to do?  Did they tell you after the surgery what they saw once they got in there?

Will run for scenery.

Mandy,

Best wishes for a speedy, full, low-pain recovery !  If the pain isn't crazy-bad, stay away from the hard drugs : they can really suck the life soul out of you.  If you feel down during your recovery, just remember : it's the chemicals ! Things will get better!

OTOH, I give you permission to eat as much ice cream as you want....

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Will run for scenery.

So I hate to gripe about the little stuff (well, not really, it just sounds polite to say that....) but I've been really down about my ongoing, stupid aches and pains.

I stopped running in fucking October just to let my feet rest a little and now I'm worse off than ever!   I never had AT problems when I was an actual runner, but now that I'm a half year into idleness and sloth I can hardly walk without a limp due to AT pain.  I tried backing off on cardio (stationary bike & elliptical - which I hate) and my hips started hurting so much when I get out of a chair that people I don't know ask what's wrong.

I've already written off Big Sur Marathon in April, but now I'm wondering if I can run at all this summer.  This really sux.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Drugs, yay!  :P

So what did they end up having to do?  Did they tell you after the surgery what they saw once they got in there?

For the labrum itself, it was torn from 12 o'clock - 2.  He said that he put in one stitch at one part and had to cut away a flap as well, so I am left with the majority of my labrum.  He said having that flap gone and cut off, shouldn't be a big deal.  For the bone, he shaved down both some femur and some socket.  He said there was a spot of cartilage that was bubbled and irritated from the femur rubbing against it, but otherwise it looked good and no arthritis!  He told me he was optimistic about my recovery.  On the whole, I think it went really well.

I'm not even in much pain, but I am still taking my narcotics.  Just chilling in my recliner right now with my ice machine, that circulates cold water around my hip!

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So I hate to gripe about the little stuff (well, not really, it just sounds polite to say that....) but I've been really down about my ongoing, stupid aches and pains.

I stopped running in fucking October just to let my feet rest a little and now I'm worse off than ever!   I never had AT problems when I was an actual runner, but now that I'm a half year into idleness and sloth I can hardly walk without a limp due to AT pain.  I tried backing off on cardio (stationary bike & elliptical - which I hate) and my hips started hurting so much when I get out of a chair that people I don't know ask what's wrong.

I've already written off Big Sur Marathon in April, but now I'm wondering if I can run at all this summer.  This really sux.

I'm sorry, jjs.  Sad  That's frustarting.  People can certainly gripe about the little stuff too...it all sucks!

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

Sorry that you are dealing with this. This place is to vent, cry, and support one another. I would take it one day at a time. I thought I wouldn't be running until the summer and I'm now running 3 miles about 7 weeks post-op. I still have some SI joint alignment issues that PT has been working on.  I have no desire to go any further than this for awhile. I'm running slow, but I'm running.

Mandy- I'm so glad that the surgery is done and over with and now you can look towards recovery. That ice machine sounds cold!!! I don't think I could tolerate it.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Hip Redux

For the labrum itself, it was torn from 12 o'clock - 2.  He said that he put in one stitch at one part and had to cut away a flap as well, so I am left with the majority of my labrum.  He said having that flap gone and cut off, shouldn't be a big deal.  For the bone, he shaved down both some femur and some socket.  He said there was a spot of cartilage that was bubbled and irritated from the femur rubbing against it, but otherwise it looked good and no arthritis!  He told me he was optimistic about my recovery.  On the whole, I think it went really well.

I'm not even in much pain, but I am still taking my narcotics.  Just chilling in my recliner right now with my ice machine, that circulates cold water around my hip!

Awesome!   Do you start PT soon?

onemile

Sounds like good news.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

PT starts next week!

I just tried the exercise bike...woof, that was difficult and awkward.  Not sure I am ready for that yet, but supposedly it's really good for your ROM.

Running is dumb.