Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

Speaking of range of motion, I went to PT again today to see where things stand from where I was last year.  Some good, some bad.   I have much stronger hips than I did before (with still room for improvement though) but I have significantly less ROM now.

She agreed with my surgery decision and also said "If I was getting a labrum fixed, I'd see who you are seeing" so that was reassuring that I'm at least going to the right surgeon.

The plan moving forward is to work see her once a week and work on ROM in the hip, and then I'm to keep up on the PT at home.

Hip Redux

Oh, and I also sent my xrays and MRA to A-Rod's surgeon for a consultation.   Do you think he can get me an autograph?

LRB

Oh, and I also sent my xrays and MRA to A-Rod's surgeon for a consultation.   Do you think he can get me an autograph?

That and some really good anabolic's I am sure.  Shit, you will be running a marathon next weekend, ta hell with surgery.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So I hate to gripe about the little stuff (well, not really, it just sounds polite to say that....) but I've been really down about my ongoing, stupid aches and pains.

I stopped running in fucking October just to let my feet rest a little and now I'm worse off than ever!   I never had AT problems when I was an actual runner, but now that I'm a half year into idleness and sloth I can hardly walk without a limp due to AT pain.  I tried backing off on cardio (stationary bike & elliptical - which I hate) and my hips started hurting so much when I get out of a chair that people I don't know ask what's wrong.

I've already written off Big Sur Marathon in April, but now I'm wondering if I can run at all this summer.  This really sux.

Ok, I'm just not acronym-minded tonight......What's AT again?? 

Went back a few pages but can't see what you were having specific problems with yet, except for foot issues.

Randy

bluerun

Super B****

Ok, I'm just not acronym-minded tonight......What's AT again?? 

Went back a few pages but can't see what you were having specific problems with yet, except for foot issues.

Achilles tendon?

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Will run for scenery.

Oops, yeah Achilles Tendon.  My left one has been acting up more and more.  It's like I have to warm up and stretch a little just to get out of a chair and walk across the room.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

bluerun

Super B****

Like me and my peroneal tendon.  Except that whole "warm up to walk across the room" thing doesn't work anymore, so I'm basically a cripple.

chasing the impossible

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I wonder if you'll get your results back from Dr. Kelly before you see your own hip guy.

Day #3 post-op update.  I am feeling really well, actually.  I'm going to start to lower the dose of my pain pills and see how that goes.  I also get to take a shower tonight!  Woo hoo!  So far I have nothing to complain about, but I think the early stages of this are the easiest.

Running is dumb.

obiebyke

I just dragged myself in and caught up.

Mandy, yay for a successful surgery!

WIP and jjs, hang in.

I'm still injured. The shin is still tender to the touch and the muscles around it seem to kind of spasm with exercise, even bike or elliptical.  I'm doing PT for my runners knee, but I'm spotty about actually doing the exercises and I hate the gym! Terrible because I know I'm shooting myself in the foot by not following the recovery plan to a T. The depression is very very present. It's not just the injury--I have a long history of clinical major depression, and I'm having an episode. And of course, depression is a disease that makes it impossible to make myself do the very things I'm "supposed" to to feel better. I'm hanging in, but being around RA is hard. Onward, doing the best I can... I'll try to drop by more often.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

onemile

I wonder if you'll get your results back from Dr. Kelly before you see your own hip guy.

Day #3 post-op update.  I am feeling really well, actually.  I'm going to start to lower the dose of my pain pills and see how that goes.  I also get to take a shower tonight!  Woo hoo!  So far I have nothing to complain about, but I think the early stages of this are the easiest.

Sounds promising.  And that's nice if you can use the exercise bike shortly. Any idea how long you'll be on crutches?

Hip Redux

I'm still injured. The shin is still tender to the touch and the muscles around it seem to kind of spasm with exercise, even bike or elliptical.  I'm doing PT for my runners knee, but I'm spotty about actually doing the exercises and I hate the gym! Terrible because I know I'm shooting myself in the foot by not following the recovery plan to a T. The depression is very very present. It's not just the injury--I have a long history of clinical major depression, and I'm having an episode. And of course, depression is a disease that makes it impossible to make myself do the very things I'm "supposed" to to feel better. I'm hanging in, but being around RA is hard. Onward, doing the best I can... I'll try to drop by more often.

I'm sorry.  Sad

I don't have a history of clinical depression and being injured really throws me into a funk.   I can only imagine how down you feel!

Stick around, there's a bunch of us injured folks who need company. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Sounds promising.  And that's nice if you can use the exercise bike shortly. Any idea how long you'll be on crutches?

No idea.  I have been partial weight bearing since I left the hospital, but I imagine I'll still be stuck on them for 3 weeks or so.  At least that's what my paperwork says, but it'll depend on how quickly I heal as well.

Obie, I'm really sorry to hear that you're having such a hard time right now.  I hope this thread can be a bit of a refuge away from the rest of the shiny, happy runners on RA.

Running is dumb.

bluerun

Super B****

Mandy -- hope you heal up quickly!  If nothing else, you're going to get awesome guns from the crutches.

Oski -- I'm with LRB... get the drugs instead, who needs an autograph?!

Are you me?... I'm more dysthymic, but running is my anti-depressant, it's the only thing that ever really worked, and when I get hurt, it's not pretty.  It's hard to be around people who are doing what you would love to do, but I find that being around people who are dealing with similar issues is somewhat easier.  (Like... when someone who's had ONE injury claims to understand?  I want to stab their eyes out.  No.  No, you DON'T freaking understand.)

Speaking of which... I'm probably going to end up in jail on homicide charges before the week is out.  I realized today that between the ITBS (August-November) and whatever the hell is wrong with my leg now (all of 2014), I've had ONE month in the last six in which I haven't been in some form of pain or another.  I kind of wish I had never started running in the first place, because if I hadn't, I would have died by now, and then all of this would be moot.

chasing the impossible

You Rang?

Mandy - congratulations on the successful surgery

Blue - Hang in there.  I'm dystemic too.  Perhaps you can gain the anti-depressant benefits from another form of cardio.

Me-Dr. Prietto saw his shadow, so six more weeks of no running for me.  I'm off to PT to strengthen my core and back so my form does not break down and I pinch a nerve in my back from running so much.  I start tomorrow at 7 am, and since I left the PT prescription on my desk at work, I have to be out the door tomorrow morning at 6:00 am.

On the doctor's advice, i did throw my combination cover into the ring for the MCM in October.  He thinks I'll be back and ready to train for a Marathon in May.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

LRB

Me-Dr. Prietto saw his shadow, so six more weeks of no running for me. 

Funny!