Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies - Nipple Freaking Cold (Read 50 times)

happylily

Damaris, I just read in your RR that you will be in Montreal for the September half? Damn it... I signed up for the Army Run in Ottawa the same date.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Baboon

delicate flower

I was curious about the course. It is hilly, but the good news is that it has an overall negative elevation. Just make sure you don't run the downhills too hard and you should be fine. Maybe you'll even PR there.

The LA Marathon has a overall negative elevation but the hills are so bad the downward part does not make up for it.

Having said that, Baboon, you are used to hills, so I am sure you will kill it.

I am a lot more used to hills now compared to a year ago, but they are still far and away my biggest weakness and I lack confidence in running them.  This race starts and ends in the same spot, so the net elevation has to be pretty close to zero.

Here is my log entry for this race last year.  UG-LY!  God, did I have a bad day.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

Good luck with that. My first (and only) HM in this cycle is March 8th and it's also very hilly. Bleh...

I have another HM on March 21.  That one is also hilly, but nowhere near as bad and I have PR aspirations for that one.  The hills are longer and not as steep.  Those I can handle!

<3

LRB

But I like going out for 3-4 hours.  

Said me, never.

LRB

I have a HM on March 30.  

onemile

But I like going out for 3-4 hours.  I cannot wait until my LR this weekend.

I like to save it for race day. Makes it all the more special. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris, I just read in your RR that you will be in Montreal for the September half? Damn it... I signed up for the Army Run in Ottawa the same date.

Awww, boo.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wait, we might have NYCM.  Wish me luck!  I assume you ended up signing up for it?

Damaris

DavePNW

I am looking forward to seeing how that works out. You seem to be getting faster.

^ I agree with this statement.

I am also feeling a major case of the training blahs, I just don't know what the hell I'm doing here. Last week's impromptu hiatus did not help; hopefully I can get back on the horse. I am also hoping there is some residual fitness in there somewhere from my last training cycle, even though it seems like forever ago, and for a couple months afterwards I did jack squat. I guess we'll just see how things go.

/whine

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I like to save it for race day. Makes it all the more special. 

Haha.  3-4 hours does not even cover my race day.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

^ I agree with this statement.

I am also feeling a major case of the training blahs, I just don't know what the hell I'm doing here. Last week's impromptu hiatus did not help; hopefully I can get back on the horse. I am also hoping there is some residual fitness in there somewhere from my last training cycle, even though it seems like forever ago, and for a couple months afterwards I did jack squat. I guess we'll just see how things go.

/whine

A good base takes time to go away.  Remember, I barely ran before Space Coast and I was able to run it faster than Chicago (at least until I got the side stitch from hell).  No LRs since October didn't seem to hurt me then.

Damaris

DavePNW

I am running about 10mpw less and all of my long runs have been easy paced. No long run quality runs.

+1. More quality in the LR's was one thing I was going to improve on for this cycle. But I have been trying to do them all outside, which hasn't been lending itself to quality anything.

Also trying to decide on races. Looking at potential 10k on 3/8, and HM on 3/30. Not sure if I should blow them off to focus more on the training, or do them because what the hell. I am in the mode anyway that I am just going to show up on marathon race day (if healthy) with whatever I happen to have at that point in time. Although keep the same goal, because stupid.

Dave

Cyberic

See, you get punished for never running your local races.

Hip Redux

As with a lot of things running related the novelty wears off and it becomes a chore. I can sing a similar song about me and the treadmill.

FYP

onemile

Also trying to decide on races. Looking at potential 10k on 3/8, and HM on 3/30. Not sure if I should blow them off to focus more on the training, or do them because what the hell. I am in the mode anyway that I am just going to show up on marathon race day (if healthy) with whatever I happen to have at that point in time. Although keep the same goal, because stupid.

Races are good workouts though.

Between a 2 week vacation I have planned for mid-March and Boston, I don't know how to fit any into my schedule.   And then Boston recovery... and then summer heat.....