Beginners and Beyond

Windy WednesDAILIES (Read 27 times)

From the Internet.

I ran 8.1 reasonably easy to bump me over 200 for the month FINALLY. Not an all-time high by a long shot (~316) but it's feeling sustainable again!

LRB

If you've been in this situation, what have you done?

Vaseline for the win. And LOTS of it. 👍

DavePNW

I ran 8.1 reasonably easy to bump me over 200 for the month FINALLY. 

Go ahead, rub it in!!

Dave

sdWhiskers

Vendor just showed up with donuts. Sure, I'll eat a third breakfast today...

sdWhiskers

In other news, I'm developing a callous in between my littlest toe and second to littlest toe. Hurts like a mofo. So I bought both moleskin and some cushiony bandaid type thing that is supposedly mostly waterproof. OR I could just put a ton of Body Glide on my toes. If you've been in this situation, what have you done? I'm all paranoid about "not doing anything new on race day", but I plan to put it on tonight and wear it for the next day or two to see how either feels.

I would wrap it up for your race. I've always preferred a physical barrier instead of lube when dealing with already formed blisters (or almost blisters).

Bert-o

I lost my rama

In other news, I'm developing a callous in between my littlest toe and second to littlest toe. Hurts like a mofo. So I bought both moleskin and some cushiony bandaid type thing that is supposedly mostly waterproof. OR I could just put a ton of Body Glide on my toes. If you've been in this situation, what have you done? I'm all paranoid about "not doing anything new on race day", but I plan to put it on tonight and wear it for the next day or two to see how either feels.

Excuse me while I go eat my anxiety away, in carbs....

Sounds painful.  Even though I haven't had to do it, I'd go with LRB's suggestion of Vaseline.  Body Glide would be tough to apply, unless you just grab a hunk and stick it in there (well, that didn't sound right).  In any case, hope it works out and good luck!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

RunningOnSand

Sounds painful.  Even though I haven't had to do it, I'd go with LRB's suggestion of Vaseline.  Body Glide would be tough to apply, unless you just grab a hunk and stick it in there (well, that didn't sound right).  In any case, hope it works out and good luck!

LOL

Thanks guys! I preemptively even bought Vaseline!!! I have a little container I'm going to stick in my backpack, which I'm going to make dh carry around so if I need some on the course it'll be available, even. Not that I'm hoping I need it, but you kwim. 

RunningOnSand

Vendor just showed up with donuts. Sure, I'll eat a third breakfast today...

Yes, yes, and yes

RunningOnSand

Vaseline for the win. And LOTS of it. 👍

Has this worked for the full deal? I'm used to using body glide and sometimes feeling like I need to reapply. Maybe since it'll be in my sock it'll be good though? Do you do this with all your toes?

GinnyinPA

I used Vaseline at Boston because of the rain. No blisters. I don't usually get blisters when running, except on the end of my second toe on some marathons. I used RunGuard on the rest of my body. No chafing.  Putting a bandage or pad in the area is likely to lead to new friction that might be worse than the existing. I've gotten some really bad blisters when hiking from the moleskin or duct tape I used to deal with existing blisters, so I'd be really wary.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I'd agree with Ginny not to use a bandage or pad, if you haven't tried it before.  Could make things worse.  I use Body Glide for most problem areas and even around the sides of my feet that are blister prone.  The one time I used Vaseline was 7 hours into a race when it was 90 degrees.  I got bad chafing in the crotch area and applied a good amount of Vaseline.  It helped me through another 4 hours before I had to stop, but given all the sweat and ice water, it held up pretty good.  I'd be ok using it on the foot preemptively for a marathon.

3/17 - NYC Half

Cyberic

The only reason I prefer Body Glide to Vaseline is that it dries, so it's less of a mess.

But for efficiency, it's Vaseline all the way. On race day, I put little round nipple band-aids on my nipples, and then freely apply vaseline everywhere else there might be skin rubbing against skin or any blister problem area. So the feet are definitely included. Every toe is meticulously covered in vaseline, as are both sides of my feet.

Cyberic

Cy - Who are you?  That new pic is confusing me.

That is my regular avatar. Sometimes, when summer comes, I crumble under overwhelming peer pressure to change it to something more seasonal.

LRB

Has this worked for the full deal? I'm used to using body glide and sometimes feeling like I need to reapply. Maybe since it'll be in my sock it'll be good though? Do you do this with all your toes?

Where the marathon is concerned, I leave no stone unturned. I put that shit on everything. 

I've never used body glide so I cannot speak on that.

I guess it depends on the course and/or conditions. I've never had an issue with blisters or chafing but lost five toenails after Boston! (as if running a PW wasn't enough )

Bert-o

I lost my rama

That is my regular avatar. Sometimes, when summer comes, I crumble under overwhelming peer pressure to change it to something more seasonal.

Right, there are only 2 seasons where you are. 

3/17 - NYC Half