Beginners and Beyond

Hogsback HM RR (Read 71 times)

delicate flower

This was supposed to be a long training run heading into my HM two weeks from now.  My PR is 1:36:05, set two weeks ago on a flat course.  Today's goal was 1:39:59, just to get below 1:40 again.

I ran 1:36:41

4 / 32 M40-44

27 / 348 OA

Here is the elevation profile:

Warm up was one mile of easy and strides.  Given the elevation profile, naturally I started this one fast.  I lined up about three rows deep.

1 - 6:46

2 - 6:55 - Lots of heroes flying past me on these downhill miles.  Nice job, guys.  See you in a few miles.

3 - 6:58

4 - 7:11

5 - 7:07 - Flattening out a little and I am not pushing hard.  HR was around 170.  Comfortably hard.

6 - 7:15 - 10K split was 43:30.  Six seconds off a 10K PR.

7 - 7:17

8 - 7:24 - OK, 8 miles through this thing and I estimated I was about 90 seconds under my PR.  Fock it, I'm going for it.

9 - 7:42- Gave back some time.

10 - 7:49 - Gave back more time.  Trying not to but the gentle uphills were just enough to slow me down.  I passed lilac_jive around this point and introduced myself mid-race.  We high fived and I was on my way.  She had a PR going herself.  Smile

11 - 7:33 - Chick I was leapfrogging since mile 3 shifted into another gear and took off.  She beat me by 60 seconds.

12 - 7:27 - Starting to think my PR will fall by 30 seconds or so, but I also knew this race has an uphill finish.

13 - 8:30 - Holy shit that uphill was worse than I thought and I lost a minute on it.  This hill cost me the PR.  Look at it on the profile.  Damn.

13.1 - 7:39 pace.  Smiling and jogging through the finish chute.

I had plenty of gas left in the tank after this race.  I would have gunned it more the first half and taken more advantage of the downhills if this was a goal race.  As it is, I am wholly focused on Hartford in two weeks.  I certainly gave it more effort in the second half and am happy with my splits given the uphill profile.  Overall I'm very happy with this race, given I held back a little and I trained through it.  A PR in two weeks is looking good.

MBC ran this too and it was her debut.  As she would say, "I finished!"  Big grin  I'm proud of her.  She'll tell you more if she feels so inclined.  Smile

Our group went out for burgers and nachos after.   (lilac_jive, MBC, Oski, Mr Oski)

cross posted again for the attention needy

We got medals.  PIG.

<3

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

And the damn shirts are not gender specific.

delicate flower

MtnBikerChickie!

One of the more scenic portapotty lines I've stood in (cousin Keith looking at the camera)

<3

TakeAHike

Baboon - Very nicely done.  I can see how this race drew you in and tempted you to go for a PR when you didn't plan to.  That downhill start looks amost scary and the uphill finish must have been brutal.  It seems like your conditioning is improving by the week.  I predict a big PR in Hartford.  Oh, and that sure is one sweet looking port-a-potty line.  Thanks for the RR.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Jess runs for bacon

And the damn shirts are not gender specific.

At least they are pink? Smile

Congrats MBC on your first half! I am glad I got to cheer for you!

Phil, next year I am going to make you wait for the awards though! You almost placed!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Phil, next year I am going to make you wait for the awards though! You almost placed!

Thanks. And thanks for the nachos!

delicate flower

I thought the age groups were 10 years, so I figured I wasn't that close.  I was still over two minutes from placing.  I would have been bummed though to find out I missed out on AG award cookies!

<3

delicate flower

Baboon - Very nicely done.  I can see how this race drew you in and tempted you to go for a PR when you didn't plan to.  That downhill start looks amost scary and the uphill finish must have been brutal.  It seems like your conditioning is improving by the week.  I predict a big PR in Hartford.  Oh, and that sure is one sweet looking port-a-potty line.  Thanks for the RR.

Thank you, sir.  Next year I'll know what to expect and can approach the race accordingly.  That last hill was 150' over a third of a mile.  Ouch.

<3

hog4life

Nice run Phil.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Nice run, Phil. You've got some speed in them thar legs!

And Lilac (preliminary congrats, will wait for your report).

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

LRB

That looks like a damn building at the end!  You get a rope in your goodie bag?

Good stuff as usual, where else are you posting this?

StepbyStep-SH

Congratulations! Well run. That hill at the end would have reduced me to tears, I'm afraid.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Phil, especially considering this was hillier.

Congrats, MBC, on your first!

Damaris

Ric-G

dang those hills....no matter, you ran a great race...congrats!

marathon pr - 3:16

Antipodean

Well done. You showed impressive restraint not to race it from the start.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary