Beginners and Beyond

Let's get this WEDNESDAILIES started! (Read 34 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've felt my ankles come close to snapping and breaking a few dozen times in the last 7 days from running our trails which are frozen with jagged  leaves and tracks (foot prints and bike tracks, and deer tracks) so my ankles are going in all kind of directions........ and I would still rather be out there running then on a treadmill - DH says I just want the bragging rights  I just enjoy the trails and the outdoor freedom of it, I'd prefer getting my miles in before 7 AM but if I need to, I will run in the late afternoon, evening or even midnight but I almost always get my mileage in unless my body decides otherwise. Even if I have to be flexible and switch days.

Treadmills be damned!!!  Just kidding, someday I will get one but that someday isn't close (though if we have another month of this below zero weather I might just go and get one damn it).

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Yugo18

Hilariously awful "snowstorm" has descended upon Atlanta.  Holy crap, guys.  The traffic and the drivers' apparent inability to drive when we get an inch of snow were/are astounding.  The traffic was so backed up and not moving at all that my 15-mile trip home from work yesterday took me 5 hours.  I did not go on any highways and had to take a seriously large number of detours because of stalled traffic (why?!).  If I had not reversed out of one stopped-traffic, no-actual-semblance-of-lanes road and illegally went back the other way in front of a helpless cop (funny if he'd given me a ticket, heh), I would have been stuck in one spot until the morning, as I learned today.  My SO's brother was stuck on the highway with hundreds of other people all night and did not make it out until 11 am.  I never thought something like this could happen.  My Iowa self maneuvered a tiny little car while big vehicles were spinning and abandoned on the side (or middle?!) of the road.  What?!

I had a very nice 10-miler today, all while watching the messiest of messes slowly put itself together.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I feel sorry for the children and elderly Sad we youthful adults can handle this crap, but I fear the elderly and the small children are truly the ones that suffer during situations like in Atlanta.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

StepbyStep-SH

Damaris - I'll be keeping you and your husband in my prayers.

Re: the treadmill vs. outdoors in the winter - I used to fancy myself quite the badass, running -20* windchills, over snow, ice you name it. Apparently, though, turning 40 has turned me into a wimp. Ice vs. TM? Gimme the 'mill. Even for 22.5 miles. It might suck, but I am nearly guaranteed to still be able to walk at the end, no blood, no black eyes. That hasn't always been the case outside.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Just B.S.

Even I am arguing about getting a treadmill, even if DH said yes I would still debate with myself on it - not to hurt anybody's feelings but to me a treadmill is just the easy way out, I fear I would find myself making excuses constantly to hit the treadmill instead of outside whether it be raining, windy, snowing, sleeting, or really freaking hot.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This statement in no way hurts my feelings but I just want a clarification. Do you mean the easy way our for you or for anyone who has to or chooses to run on a treadmill?

Many people prefer to run on treadmills. I do not,in fact I am sure I have made it abundantly clear that I loathe it. However when you live somewhere that winter lasts 5 months (at least) and where snowstorms are as common as having a shower for some people Smile (we have had 3 in the last 7 days), where any temps above zero are a rarity for weeks on end  and you are a dedicated runner training for a spring half or full marathon treadmills become a must in interest of consistency and safety.

I normally cannot run until night time. Most of my running routes have no sidewalks and no street lights and our municipality does not use salt for street clearing (sand only).  There are many days during our long winters when running outside  especially while it is snowing would be nothing short of foolhearty.

This January we have barely had 4 days above zero, approximately 7-8 snow storms and several flash freezes and ice storms included. Last winter we had over 20 snow storms.

There is absolutely no way (especially this year) that I could train for my May marathon without resorting to the treadmill. 

For me being a long time (14 years now) outdoor runner every minute I spend  on a treadmill is torture but I do it because I have goals and that is what I need to do to reach those goals.

At this time of year I am also doing my swimming and biking indoors out of necessity. Smile

I wouldn't characterize it in any way as an easy way out.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Treadmills drive me crazy, running in place drives me crazy, hell running a track drives me crazy. I see treadmills as more of a specific training purpose, or where you are in a little bit more control of your environment and training. Whereas I like the chaos, the untamed outdoors even if my nose is numb and frostbitten or I'm dying from the heat of the sun.

I've done 5 miles on a mill before, of course this was in 2010 so it's been a while since the last time I was on one, but I couldn't imagine running an hour or longer on one, I would need a huge screen t.v. of a scenic trail or mountain view and the sound of birds and whatnot to keep me from going crazy. People who do treadmills are just as crazy as people who will go outside to run in below temps and crazy winds.

Even I am arguing about getting a treadmill, even if DH said yes I would still debate with myself on it - not to hurt anybody's feelings but to me a treadmill is just the easy way out, I fear I would find myself making excuses constantly to hit the treadmill instead of outside whether it be raining, windy, snowing, sleeting, or really freaking hot.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This statement in no way hurts my feelings but I just want a clarification. Do you mean the easy way our for you or for anyone who has to or chooses to run on a treadmill?

Many people prefer to run on treadmills. I do not,in fact I am sure I have made it abundantly clear that I loathe it. However when you live somewhere that winter lasts 5 months (at least) and where snowstorms are as common as having a shower for some people Smile (we have had 3 in the last 7 days), where any temps above zero are a rarity for weeks on end  and you are a dedicated runner training for a spring half or full marathon treadmills become a must in interest of consistency and safety.

I normally cannot run until night time. Most of my running routes have no sidewalks and no street lights and our municipality does not use salt for street clearing (sand only).  There are many days during our long winters when running outside  especially while it is snowing would be nothing short of foolhearty.

This January we have barely had 4 days above zero, approximately 7-8 snow storms and several flash freezes and ice storms included. Last winter we had over 20 snow storms.

There is absolutely no way (especially this year) that I could train for my May marathon without resorting to the treadmill. 

For me being a long time (14 years now) outdoor runner every minute I spend  on a treadmill is torture but I do it because I have goals and that is what I need to do to reach those goals.

At this time of year I am also doing my swimming and biking indoors out of necessity. Smile

I wouldn't characterize it in any way as an easy way out.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have two reasons I am not yet ready to buy a treadmill:

1. I am a stubborn ass and I will not let nature win, even if I have to run at midnight I will get my miles in. Except for long runs, I do not run anything longer than 9 miles at night for safety reasons. I also love nature and trails, I'll do whatever it takes to get out there and run.
                2. I am also worried that I might get obsessed with having a treadmill right in my house, back in 2010 going to the gym I became obsessed with the ease of getting in 30 to 40 minutes on a treadmill on the days I wasn't supposed to be running. I feel that it had something to do with my IT band issue when I first began running in 2010.I was supposed to be running 3 days a week, but from July to the end of August I was running anywhere from 5 to 6 days a week. I'm obsessive, what's to stop me from getting up in the middle of the night and getting in 30-40 minutes on the treadmill a few hours before my outdoor run of 6-8 miles? I just don't have any self-control yet.

PRs

Just B.S.

Treadmills drive me crazy, running in place drives me crazy, hell running a track drives me crazy. I see treadmills as more of a specific training purpose, or where you are in a little bit more control of your environment and training. Whereas I like the chaos, the untamed outdoors even if my nose is numb and frostbitten or I'm dying from the heat of the sun.

I've done 5 miles on a mill before, of course this was in 2010 so it's been a while since the last time I was on one, but I couldn't imagine running an hour or longer on one, I would need a huge screen t.v. of a scenic trail or mountain view and the sound of birds and whatnot to keep me from going crazy. People who do treadmills are just as crazy as people who will go outside to run in below temps and crazy winds.

Guess I am double crazy because I do both and have for the past 14 years, winter, spring summer and fall.

Only resort to the treadmill for reasons of safety Smile But again like many people including many people on this

forum I do not see it as an easy way out.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Where do you live again? Environment also decides your level of crazy, if you have no choice and have crazy weather then I don't blame you. Our weather is normally mild, these below 0 temps are actually rare around here... like we hardly ever have sub zero temps, I don't remember a winter like this in our area for as long as I've lived so it is definitely new for me.

Guess I am double crazy because I do both and have for the past 14 years, winter, spring summer and fall.

Only resort to the treadmill for reasons of safety Smile But again like many people including many people on this

forum I do not see it as an easy way out.

PRs

Just B.S.

Where do you live again? Environment also decides your level of crazy, if you have no choice and have crazy weather then I don't blame you. Our weather is normally mild, these below 0 temps are actually rare around here... like we hardly ever have sub zero temps, I don't remember a winter like this in our area for as long as I've lived so it is definitely new for me.

Canada, north of the Maine border. Nuf said?

The weather you have been talking about is more like our intro to winter called fall Smile

So when people make blanket statements based on their environment only it's not really 100% fair

to others dealing with more harsh environments (either more hot or more cold) or any other limiting

conditions.

And like me hubby said to me on Sunday when we ran 9 miles with over 500 feet of gain in sub zero on

icy, slushy snow covered roads, stepping in puddles and being splashed by cars on the highway........

"don't see any other runners and especially don't see any other 52 yr old broads out here doing this" 

Crazy is relative and I have never been the easy way out type . I suspect if you lived and run where I do that

your opinion on treadmills would change out of necessity. Smile

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Exactly, Smile you're used to it, I'm not trying to make anybody feel bad about using the treadmill especially if their environment pretty much is really crazy during winter or summer. But I do respect those who aren't used to the extreme weather, but still troop it out when those rare conditions happen. Our winters rarely go below 15 degrees,  and while our summers can reach 111 degrees, our humidity or dew point is nothing like Damaris' area. Our area also doesn't really give us a Spring or Fall, it's either summer or Winter, and Summer can easily ride into December while Winter will ride into May or June. I bitch about summer, wishing for winter and then I find myself bitching about winter wishing for summer.......... it's a never-ending cycle of bitching.

People who tough out areas like yours would most likely kick ass in races in my areas, hell you'd probably be wearing shorts and tank top too 

Most likely yes, I would probably have a gym membership. As long as the weather here doesn't get any worse, I will try and tough it out on the trails though...... and stay away from Canada in Winter 

Canada, north of the Maine border. Nuf said?

The weather you have been talking about is more like our intro to winter called fall Smile

So when people make blanket statements based on their environment only it's not really 100% fair

to others dealing with more harsh environments (either more hot or more cold) or any other limiting

conditions.

And like me hubby said to me on Sunday when we ran 9 miles with over 500 feet of gain in sub zero on

icy, slushy snow covered roads, stepping in puddles and being splashed by cars on the highway........

"don't see any other 52 yr old broads out here doing this" Smile

PRs

Just B.S.

Exactly, Smile you're used to it, I'm not trying to make anybody feel bad about using the treadmill especially if their environment pretty much is really crazy during winter or summer. But I do respect those who aren't used to the extreme weather, but still troop it out when those rare conditions happen. Our winters rarely go below 15 degrees,  and while our summers can reach 111 degrees, our humidity or dew point is nothing like Damaris' area. Our area also doesn't really give us a Spring or Fall, it's either summer or Winter, and Summer can easily ride into December while Winter will ride into May or June. I bitch about summer, wishing for winter and then I find myself bitching about winter wishing for summer.......... it's a never-ending cycle of bitching.

People who tough out areas like yours would most likely kick ass in races in my areas, hell you'd probably be wearing shorts and tank top too 

Most likely yes, I would probably have a gym membership. As long as the weather here doesn't get any worse, I will try and tough it out on the trails though...... and stay away from Canada in Winter 

Used to it doesn't mean it ever gets any easier especially now that I am as old as some adult runners

Moms Smile

You might also want to stay away from Buffalo winters as they are pretty similar to mine. 

Right Jay? LOL

OK off to the basement for my prescribed 90 minutes on the bike trainer.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Stay away from Buffalo winters, check Smile

Used to it doesn't mean it ever gets any easier especially now that I am as old as some adult runners

Moms Smile

You might also want to stay away from Buffalo winters as they are pretty similar to mine. 

Right Jay? LOL

OK off to the basement for my prescribed 90 minutes on the bike trainer.

PRs

happylily

I'm so glad that I am not participating in this argument.  Still, three thoughts I have:

1) People who get up early to run outside in the dark and the cold are tough as nails.

2) People who get up early to step on a machine and stare at a wall for 90 minutes are tough as nail

3) 52 year old women who swim in the cold ocean, race on bikes and run 4:10 marathons are complete badass, no matter how they train.

BTW, I run in a perfect environment, usually around 5 pm. I'm a wuss and I've accepted that about myself. 

My sister is out of surgery, she's doing great!!! They only took half the thyroid, the cancer had not spread to the other side. I'm so fucking happy that it's worth a swear word.  (((Scotty))), thanks for the laugh. :-)

I ran 10 miles.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm so glad that I am not participating in this argument.  Still, three thoughts I have:

1) People who get up early to run outside in the dark and the cold are tough as nails.

2) People who get up early to step on a machine and stare at a wall for 90 minutes are tough as nail

3) 52 year old women who swim in the cold ocean, race on bikes and run 4:10 marathons are complete badass, no matter how they train.

BTW, I run in a perfect environment, usually around 5 pm. I'm a wuss and I've accepted that about myself. 

My sister is out of surgery, she's doing great!!! They only took half the thyroid, the cancer had not spread to the other side. I'm so fucking happy that it's worth a swear word.  (((Scotty))), thanks for the laugh. :-)

I ran 10 miles.

Hey, people that run after a 10 hour work are tough too!  Damn it, I want to feel tough as nail.

After 5 months of 100+ weather and 90-100% humidity, I told hubby that if we are still in Miami come April, I better have a TM in my living room or I'm divorcing and moving to Chicago.  The end.

Glad to hear your sister is doing great.

Damaris