Beginners and Beyond

Advice on adjusting for heat in my next marathon (Read 89 times)

Hip Redux

I PRed the 5K at the Charleston Distance Run a few years ago when it was 99 degrees and 99% humidity (ok, that might be an exaggeration, but it was easily the yuckiest race I've ever run).

Even at the 5k distance, when you aren't out there for as long as a marathon, it hurt way more than it should have.   I felt like I was dying.  Literally dying.   I had no business attempting to do that with that weather, but I had no real appreciation for what running in humid weather does to you.

That is all I have to add to this conversation.  Big grin

MothAudio

I've run the Charleston Distance Run [15 miler] many times. The weather in the mid-ohio valley in the summer is awful. Top that off with monster hills and it can be deadly.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Hip Redux

The 5K is pancake flat, but my husband did the 15miler that year  and he was looking AWFUL at the finish line.  Brutal.

LRB

Even at the 5k distance, when you aren't out there for as long as a marathon, it hurt way more than it should have.   I felt like I was dying.  Literally dying.   I had no business attempting to do that with that weather, but I had no real appreciation for what running in humid weather does to you.

Yep, which is why my July and August 5ks are time trials or experiments, if I run any at all.  My first year running though I was in it to win it...or give it my all as it were, which was just as stupid. 

happylily

My suspicion (maybe I'm wrong) is that it must hurt more to try to "race" a 5k in heat and humidity, than it is to race a marathon. Don't you need all your lungs at full capacity for a 5k? Without full oxygen, the muscles are not working well. It must be more problematic, no? Plus, people understand if we have to walk a little in a marathon. They are less understanding of runners who run 5ks, and then suddenly feel the need to walk. :-)

EDIT: I just reread what I wrote above and I sound stupid.  Ignore my comment.

onemile, what was the temperature is your last marathon recently?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

EDIT: I just reread what I wrote above and I sound stupid.  Ignore my comment.

Thanks for the clarification.  lol

happylily

Thanks for the clarification.  lol

LOL...

RSX

Why the one race in June? Not for the weather, obviously. The reasons are that it's on the way to where we are going for a week, on business. It's cheap. If I can run it in less than 3:42, I have a chance at winning first female overall. I like helping the local economy of places I particularly love (one night at a hotel, a couple meals, race registration). It makes me happy to run marathons.

Does that make me a merit badge collector? Perhaps. But... 14 marathons in 4 years, 13 of them in the last 36 months. That's more than one every 3 months. 6 of them I ran in 3:40 and less (BQ -15 and more), 6 of them I won AG awards for (4x1st place, 2x3rd place). There is at least some merit in the fact that I am not injured more often. :-)

Can I call you a tourist then? (just kidding) If I had your ability I would do the same thing.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Why the one race in June? Not for the weather, obviously. The reasons are that it's on the way to where we are going for a week, on business. It's cheap. If I can run it in less than 3:42, I have a chance at winning first female overall. I like helping the local economy of places I particularly love (one night at a hotel, a couple meals, race registration). It makes me happy to run marathons.

Does that make me a merit badge collector? Perhaps. But... 14 marathons in 4 years, 13 of them in the last 36 months. That's more than one every 3 months. 6 of them I ran in 3:40 and less (BQ -15 and more), 6 of them I won AG awards for (4x1st place, 2x3rd place). There is at least some merit in the fact that I am not injured more often. :-)

Humble Brag alert!

You people have issues 

happylily

Humble Brag alert!

Didn't you know I was crowned Queen of the humble brag? 

Love the Half

Oski, you must be referring to 2012.  That was just stupid hot.  I have never in my life faded that badly in a race nor cared less about my finishing time.  I just wanted to be done.  I had a chance to talk to the female winner after the race and she talked about how horribly she faded.  Everyone talked about how horribly they faded.  Just brutal from start to finish.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Hip Redux

Oski, you must be referring to 2012.  That was just stupid hot.  I have never in my life faded that badly in a race nor cared less about my finishing time.  I just wanted to be done.  I had a chance to talk to the female winner after the race and she talked about how horribly she faded.  Everyone talked about how horribly they faded.  Just brutal from start to finish.

Absolutely was 2012.   Miserable.

Love the Half

So is it too slow a start if it's 65F? I need a sub-3:40, no matter the weather. 

I'm just saying this.

1.  If you don't discipline yourself at the start, you'll have to decide whether to take a non BQ or a DNF.  There won't be any other choices.

2.  As you run the race, your body heat will climb.  To make matters worse, as your body heat climbs, the outside temperature will be climbing.  On top of that, the sun will be coming out.  If there is no cloud cover, the sun will make it feel 10 degrees warmer.  There is a real risk of it feeling like 80 when you're at Mile 20.

3.  At the risk of restating the glaringly obvious, you can't run as fast when it's 80 as you can when it's 65.  Thus, if you fail to adjust your pace slower as the race progresses, you''ll end up walking.  You have to decide before this race ever starts, based on an hourly forecast, what pace you intend to run as the race develops.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

3.  At the risk of restating the glaringly obvious, you can't run as fast when it's 80 as you can when it's 65.  Thus, if you fail to adjust your pace slower as the race progresses, you''ll end up walking. 

In others words start off slower then intended then run a 26 mile de-gression run by choice, or be forced to do it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm just saying this.

1.  If you don't discipline yourself at the start, you'll have to decide whether to take a non BQ or a DNF.  There won't be any other choices.

2.  As you run the race, your body heat will climb.  To make matters worse, as your body heat climbs, the outside temperature will be climbing.  On top of that, the sun will be coming out.  If there is no cloud cover, the sun will make it feel 10 degrees warmer.  There is a real risk of it feeling like 80 when you're at Mile 20.

3.  At the risk of restating the glaringly obvious, you can't run as fast when it's 80 as you can when it's 65.  Thus, if you fail to adjust your pace slower as the race progresses, you''ll end up walking.  You have to decide before this race ever starts, based on an hourly forecast, what pace you intend to run as the race develops.

YES to all of this.  If you do not adjust from the start, you'll suffer and be slower at the end.

Damaris