Beginners and Beyond

National Devil's Food Cake Day Monday Penguins (Read 24 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Good morning, pens.

First of all, a holdover from yesterday: sapf, you and your husband are adorable!

Today is the first day of my last week of C25K. 28 minutes today after work, 28 minutes Wednesday, and then the big final 3-0 on Saturday. I'm excited and feeling good.

on my way to badass

Thanks for starting us off Obie. Nice work! AFM- some miles today as well as mowing and house work.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your last week obiebyke!

Good luck with the miles, mowing, and housework, StoneFence.

AFM:  Rest day today.   Saturday did my run/walk at Lackland Air Force Base and inadvertently became a 'bandit' when I turned onto a street and encountered lots of Air Force trainees and a few civilians doing the Run For Freedom 5K, which I'd forgotten was at Lackland that day.   I turned off at the next street, after having 'fallen in' with some very speedy trainees running in formation.    Sunday I went to the San Antonio Riverwalk and ended up doing a run/walk of 51 minutes, my longest outing in quite a while, ending up with 4.5 miles.  I didn't want to push it so stopped there, but the good thing was I was feeling great and felt I could've gone farther.  So I am still 'beating' my arthritis so far, yay.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pengs  !!!

We will run 3 or 4 this afternoon and I'll postpone the health club until tomorrow.

Have a great last c25k week Obie.

Happy mowing Stone.

Have a good RD Scott.

Have a great week !!!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Morning Penguins!

Sapf - you all look great!

Ob - nice start... well done.  Had you run at all before this?  What are your thoughts on the C25k program?

Scottydawg - well done on the run and taking it easier than you wanted to...  at least in part I fully understand.

Jerry - good morning!

Me - 2 on the treadmill.  I laugh at the ridiculousness of the treadmill given how nice it has (finally) been here.  None the less, it was a matter of convenience and self consciousness.  W1D2 C25k - restart in the book.  I didn't make it a priority yesterday like I wanted... that is going to have to chance.

obiebyke

Yup, I've been running on and off since 2007. I'm coming back from an injury, so C25K is helping me limit impact. I love C25K! I've done it several times to come back to running.

Ob - nice start... well done.  Had you run at all before this?  What are your thoughts on the C25k program?

Zelanie

I agreee!  That was a great photo of sapf!

Dentist appointment for me today, then maybe running afterwards.

obie- Last week!  Have you thought about how you're going to structure your post-c25K running?

SF- Good luck on your busy day!

Scotty- You are beating your arthritis every day as far as I'm concerned.

Jerry- Have a good run!

Vance- Checking in here is a good way to help make that change, I think.  I also love C25K, it's what got me started running.

obiebyke

Ew, dentist. I'm going to do One Hour Runner next, and then add a 4th run a week with a little light speedwork to it.

obie- Last week!  Have you thought about how you're going to structure your post-c25K running?

Zelanie

obie- Awesome!  You are all set!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, since I walked last week with the barest amount of knee pain -- more stiffness than actual pain -- I will be attempting W1D1 of C25k with DH this evening.  I'm laughing a little because I already have twice as many miles this month logged as for any month this year!  So clearly, I must also do office yoga today, since it seems to be helping enormously.

Woo-hoo for your impending C25k graduation, Obie!!

Stone -- enjoy your miles, mowing, and housework!!  (I would say blech for the last two!)

scotty -- sounds like a good running week, I'm surprised the trainees didn't make you finish the race with them!!

Jerryb -- have a good 3 or 4!!

Vance, howdy!!  I'm restarting too, a day behind you.  Don't let me pass you!!

Zelanie -- good luck at the dentist!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Good luck, HsM!  By the way, I wonder if the VFFs are the best choice for getting back into running, or if you've thought about something a bit more supportive?  I'm sure I'm biased because I don't think I'd like those shoes myself, though.

Singer who runs a smidge

More supportive shoes totally wreck my knees, and make my feet unhappy too.  C25k is actually a fairly good way to transition into minimal shoes -- starts off with more walking than running, and gradually increases the running.  Thanks for the concern, though!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Obie: Sounds like you are ready to have a great race. Do you have a time goal for this one?

SF: Mowing AND housework? You need to meet my wife. You would be a great influence on her. Wink

Scotty: Good work. I hope you can keep the arthritis in check.

Jerry: Have fun with the miles. I hope you are having some good weather.

N-Bug: Get of the TM and get outside!

Zel: ooohh... Good luck at the dentist. Hopefully it is just a checkup for you.

HsM: Good job and congrats on day 1!

sapf: Are you old enough to be married? You and your husband look like you are sophomores in high school. I'm feeling old...

I will go out for a few miles later today. We finally have some cooler temps so I can run while the sun is still up. The marathon is Sunday and we are ready. I think DW will do very well if she can keep it together during the last six miles. I am getting antsy and am ready to run now. Actually, I just want in to be over so I can start training for 5 and 10Ks. Frankly, I am sick of marathon training.

In any case, have a good day.

obiebyke

No race until my run/walk half on July 4th, because I'm crazy. Time goal = finishing. Smile

Obie: Sounds like you are ready to have a great race. Do you have a time goal for this one?