Beginners and Beyond

Today's Penguins Are Tuesdalicious! (Read 33 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Ran a good 10 miles last night. It's snowing right now and work is cancelled so I am going out in a few to test out my new Icespikes!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - I could use some icespikes for racing this time of year.  Let me know how those work out.

I had a really good run yesterday.  I had a really good run last week as well.  I haven't had any bad runs, but these two runs are the first runs I've had in a long time where I actually felt like I was making some progress.  Fun stuff.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Morning, going to try the elliptical tonight.

Bin Running

With all the cold weather in where you guys are.  I'm also having pretty cool weather for past few days. Mainly overcast and high of not more than 30deg C.

10 w/ 7 @ 8:10 done. These are tough and I realized not thinking abt all 7M at one go helps.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

We have a big snow storm moving in....supposed to start late morning or early afternoon and dump up to a foot of snow. I was planning on swimming after doing Homecare tonight but I think I'm cancelling my Homecare clients. I'd be shocked if we didn't have an early dismissal from the school I work at (although apparently my school doesn't do that). If I don't swim I'll do upper body stuff at home. Looking to give my foot a break from the little run I did yesterday.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Still sick but the asthma feels better.  SRD unless I feel better when I get home for a short run.  I'll see how I feel after a 9 hour work day.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!   Working from home, waiting for the snow to start!!  Local schools are cancelled, and DH is making a quickie trip to the grocery store.  We need bread, but I can guarantee there won't be any in the store.  I think I'll fire up the bread machine and make us some instead.

Of course, if this storm misses us and I didn't drive to work, I'm going to feel really foolish.  But since it's supposed to start around 10:00, I figured I'd get there and then have to turn around and head home to skip the slippery.  Life is never dull!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

Hello penguins! I managed to get out for 5 miles lastnight. The pace was pretty slow for me but that's ok! The weather felt amazing and I really only planned for 3 since I didn't want to be running anyways but it wound up being one of my best runs since getting back at it. I'm suppose to avg 75 miles a month to hit my goal for the year but I'm fairly confident I'm going to miss that number by a little bit this month unless the running gods smile upon me, lol.

Watched the remake of Carrie lastnight, it was meh. Captain Philips came out today on DVD and super excited about seeing that one!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

SRD.  Had to shovel the driveway, so it's late to work (but still leaving at 1:00).  Then I'll do some weight machines at the health club.  Glad we got  7 miles in yesterday.

Have a great day !!!

hog4life

Hi everyone! Back home in Bama, ahh, it's so nice to sleep in your own bed. Heading out in a few minutes for 4-5. The wind is starting to really pick up, and the temps will drop tonight into the teens. I don't think we will get the snow that up north will get though. While in Arkansas I found a great place to run, it's a river trail system with over 20 miles of paved trails right along the Arkansas River. I put a few pics on FB, here's a few of them.

Damaris, hope you feel better.

Jimmy, nice run.

Gustav and Anson, not sure I would ever need ice spikes down here.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Bin: Nice tempo. Smile

JBJ: Where do you get your DVDs? Our local Blockbuster finally closed and now we are out of luck. I don't know if I can be bothered to try Redbox.

Hog: That looks like a nice place to run. Look me up on FB, lol...

I hope to get 8 miles in later tonight. I have to help DW with the uniform orders for the track season so I will likely run in the dark.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

What up Pens? So I managed my first ever 10 miler on Sunday, so go me. HM training is on track, except..... now I have some pain on the outside of my knee, I suspect ITBS due to my mileage ramping up. Gonna scale back a bit this week. Did 5 on the TM this morning but I'm skipping tomorrow's run in favor of the exercise bike. I think if I baby it for a few days I'll be ok.

Good luck everyone with your training today and Hog welcome back to the Heart of Dixie Smile

SheCan

Happy Tuesdalicous everyone!

Gus-- with your icespikes you sound like an Eskimo.  Hope they help.

Awood-- yeah, but those good runs are such motivation for doing more.  Its nice when your body is feeling strong, and your mind isn't fighting it.

Bin-- that does sound like a tough run and those mental tricks do help.  Glad you're getting a little reprieve from the warmth.

Hopesmom-- you probably made the right decision, and it's better than getting stuck out in the storm.  MmmmMmm@ warm homemade bread.  Wish I could have a slice with y'all.

Jimmy-- Yay@ having a good run!   Slow is A-okay, as long as you're out there doing it.

Jerry-- I bet you are glad you got that run in yesterday.  Snow shoveling sounds like a hard way to start the day also.

Mitch-- nice pictures!  It can be so fun to run in a new place.  Glad you made it safely home.

Jack-- Hi ya, and be careful running out there in the dark.

SO42-- awesome job on the 10 mile run!   You're definitely getting there.  What day is the race anyway?  You've probably said, but I'm old and forgetful.

Just did an easy 5 today.  Was a bit stiff from yesterday.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Gustav - I hope the ice spikes work for you.  Enjoy your run in the snow.

Awood - hurray for those good runs that make running such a joy.

PADRunner - hope the elliptical workout is a good one.

Bin - 30 degrees is still hot, even if it's not as hot as it gets where you are.  Sounds like you had a good tempo run.

Kristin - stay safe.  I know you are supposed to get a lot more snow than we are.  Interesting that your school doesn't close down on snow days.  Here it seems they close down if there's any chance of snow.  I can hear the neighborhood kids racing back and forth on their atvs, enjoying the snowy hills.

Damaris - I hope your congestion continues to clear up.

HopesMom - I love home made bread.  I hope your store is out so you can bake some today. 

Jimmy - you've got plenty of time to catch up to your pace bunny.  Stay healthy now, and you've got a better chance.

Jerry - you got your cross training in anyway.

Mitch - that river trail does look nice.  Enjoy your chilly run.

Jack - enjoy your nighttime run.  At least it will be cool.  What's up with the fires?

SO42 - good job on the ten, but taking it easy now is probably a good idea if you've got pain.

Cherie - good job on the recovery run.

AFM:  20 degrees and blowing snow.  The forecast is 4-8 inches but we only have about 2 on the ground so far.  I was overdressed when we walked Ben, but I really enjoyed being out in the snow despite being too hot. Ben didn't like the ice balls between his toes, but loves making doggie snow angels.