Beginners and Beyond

Reached a small milestone today (Read 137 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I try to practice some of the principles I keep preaching, two of them being consistency and the benefits of cumulative mileage. The annual totals haven't been as consistent as I would have hoped, but 45 years of annual totals does demonstrate some consistency. Along the way I've hit peaks of 98 miles in a week, 354 miles in a month, and 3703 miles in a year. I've also hit lows of 0 for a week and a month, and 690.5 for a year. That was only back in 2011 and was only the third year I ran less than 1000 miles. My first (partial) year was not one of them.

As last year demonstrated, there are still new challenges out there for me, even after 45 years of running. I've enjoyed an incredible variety of experiences ranging from racing every standard distance from 100m to the marathon. Yes, I've even tried sprinting just for the fun of it. I placed everywhere from first to last in races, and the only times I've been ashamed of my results are the few times I gave up and quit on myself. I've raced in small events with only 3 runners and in a national championship, but it didn't matter what the size or the venue, the challenge was still the same: to get the best out of myself I was capable of on that day.

Here's to another 45 years and 75,000 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Congratulations! Keep on running...

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Great Job.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Zelanie

Congratulations!

I love the way that you continue to find challenges and milestones for yourself as you run.  You are truly an inspiration.

Congratulations on your commitment to fitness!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Nevrgivup

Congrats George! That is a lot of miles. Keep going!!

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Amazing.  You are correct that consistency is a hallmark of a stong individual.  Here is a toast from another 75,000 miler to you.

MothAudio

That crushing my total George! Congrats and here's to another 75,000!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

That is some serious mileage, George!

As Bruce Springsteen once said (OK, he said it a lot more than once), you were "Born to Run"!

Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Love the Half

Wow.  That is just amazing.  I have long said that while I appreciate those guys who run 2:05 marathons, what inspires me are the folks who keep getting out there year after year after year.  Unreal George.  Congratulations.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looking back it's interesting to recognize some of the people that have influenced me in this particular aspect of running. The summer after 9th grade I ran some track races sponsored by the University of Chicago Track Club. Besides meeting some elite runners like Hal Higdon, I also meet an older runner, Dick King, who must have been about 50 at the time. We actually ended up as partners in a 2 man 10-mile relay on the track, but in retrospect he was the first older runner I ever met and made me realize running wasn't just for the young and those on HS and college teams. Then when I did start running again, though most of the runners in the program were older adults participating only for the fitness benefits, my three main training partners were early 30s, early 40s, and early 50s. Some time around then I realized I would be a lifetime runner. Then I read about a gentleman in California, Walt Stack, who was over 100 and still running 5 miles daily and had run over 100,000 miles in his lifetime. These were numbers to aspire to achieve. I'm only 75% of the way there, but I have that goal in my sights. Another 12-15 years should get me there. Now I need to plan some long term goals too.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Badass

Rondog65

Great job!!

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

delicate flower

Are you implying that George is doping?  Say it ain't so, George.  Sad

Big grin

A tip of the sweaty running cap to you, Sir!  That is some impressive stuff.  I agree that those are not small milestones.  Obviously that took a tremendous amount of work and dedication.

<3

onemile

I'd call this a big milestone.  Impressive.