Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Going Nuts On Wednesday (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning Scotty, ended up with 4 from the group workout last night, and got 5 done this morning.

Ginny, our group workouts can be anywhere from 3 -8 miles.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

March 25 is Pecan Day, so go nuts, Penguins!

Do you say pee-can or pee-kahn?  I was raised to pronounce it pee-kahn, as my mother always told me 'pee-can' is not the nut; it's that thing in the hospital you have to use when you are a patient that can't get out of bed." 

Ummm, yeah.....let's just stick with eating pecans.....

March 25 is also  National Medal of Honor Day

Close-up Of The Medal Of Honor Award Photograph            

and Waffle Day!  Yeah, waffles...

much better than those yucky pancakes....especially when the waffle is a cone...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning, PAD!  You've been busy with the miles, way to go!

AFM:  Ended up doing hills after all on Tuesday after work.  Went to a local park to do some trails.  Very sunny, 81 degrees.  After I started, one of the trails I wanted to do was closed for maintenance, so I had to divert onto another trail, which took me up a couple of fairly steep hills.  Felt pretty darn good the whole way though, ended up with 5K distance done.  Because of our weather, lots of others out in the park too, so I had l plenty of company.    Today, temp is going up to 84.   Sounds like a nice day to do a San Antonio Riverwalk run/walk after work.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have either 7 or 10 tonight (depending on which workout I end up doing). Court, a meeting that will last at least 2 hours, etc., will make today stressful.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!  I'm still snuffly-headed, but I have quartet rehearsal tonight, so I will soldier on.  Although having a stuffy head makes singing interesting -- my voice sounds all funny inside my head and sometimes it's harder to hear everybody else.  Still, I don't want to take decongestants because of the rebound sniffles, so I'll hold off on those until competition day.  So today's my Friday, as we leave for Winston-Salem tomorrow!

PAD -- Woo-hoo for your 4 and 5!!

Scotty -- I like pecans, though they're not my fave.  I call them pih-KAHNS.  Your running is going great lately!!

Docket -- have a good 7 or 10, and hope the day is surprisingly unstressful!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

PAD - good job on the early miles.

Scotty - have fun at the Riverwalk.  Too bad you can't jump into the water, but you can finish with a pint of lager, which is almost as good.  Pecan pie with rum raisin ice cream sounds wonderful.  Fattening, but oh so good.

D - good luck on the 7 or 10.  Is today a tempo/intervals day?  Hope the work stress doesn't get too bad.

HopesMom - good luck at the competition.  I hope your head clears up completely.  Do you sing on Friday or Saturday?

AFM:  Rainy day here.  Our weather this week is weird:  48 today, 68 tomorrow, 48 the day after.  I only have 5 or 6 to do this afternoon, so I may get out between the showers.

Singer who runs a smidge

Quartets (which is me) sing on Friday.  Choruses sing on Saturday.  Since my chorus isn't performing this year, I volunteered to usher one of the choruses around the traffic pattern, which will be fun.  I have to gather them, walk them through the tunnel and up the correct escalator to their warm-up room.  Then I have to hang out while they warm up, and then direct them to put their purses and such on a cart.  Then I have to wheel the cart out to the lobby and watch it until they get off stage and come pick up their stuff.  Should be fun!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Afternoon all!  I did a bridge run today - the city way of doing hill work ;-)  I definitely under dressed for it - I'd forgotten a bit about the wind and boy did I pay for it on that run.  Tights and a t-shirt are not enough for 44, cloudy, and windy.

PAD - nice job on the miles

Scotty - good job with the hills :-)

D - I hope today doesn't wind up too stressful

HsM - have you tried a neti-pot or something similar?   I find that it helps me immensely when I'm congested.  Then again I'm on claritin D daily for about 8 months of the year and it is just my supplement for the really pollen-y days.

Ginny - the weather here is strange too - the storms are rolling in soon

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

I heart my Neti pot.  I had to get DH to pick up some more packets of the salt/bicarb mix for it because I was running low.

Zelanie

Hi pens. My track workout last night went well. The high school track was being used, so we used a student track at the University. It was more of a jogging path,  not a standard shape or size, and it had sharp turns (one of which had sharp bushes growing along it), but it went well. In one sense, not having the distance markers and other ways to get feedback made you really think more about running by feel, which is always a good thing, right? Our watches were reading slow on the turns and fast on the straights, so again you couldn't really use your watch to pace yourself.

Today I am up visiting Evergreen college with DD. We were on the road before 6 to make our appointment, yuck. But I really like the school so far.

hog4life

Hi everyone, 8 miles on Monday, RD's for Tues and Wed due to some sweet little babies coming to visit us. I'll run something tomorrow and Friday, then have a 25k on Saturday. I have to go back to work on Saturday night, but only for one night as I have a 3 day training class. When I get home from the class, we leave the next morning to head out to see Robert, Angie and TJ.

I will also have a very big announcement within a day or so, so stay tuned!

Traci, don't tell.

Brilliant

Traci, don't tell.

You made me go to FB and look, but I don't see anything unusual there...hmm... Big grin

Scotty, hope you had a nice Riverwalk run!

I ran 7 EXTREMELY EASY miles this morning, trying to stay within Maffetone's heart rate zone (still playing with my new watch).  It felt like I was moving in slow motion.  My definition of easy has always been "conversational" but I think Maffetone's is "barely get your heart rate up."

Robert31320

Team TJ

Hi everyone, 8 miles on Monday, RD's for Tues and Wed due to some sweet little babies coming to visit us. I'll run something tomorrow and Friday, then have a 25k on Saturday. I have to go back to work on Saturday night, but only for one night as I have a 3 day training class. When I get home from the class, we leave the next morning to head out to see Robert, Angie and TJ.

Traci, don't tell.

Come on down!

Running for TJ because he can't.

Robert31320

Team TJ

I made another URD today thanks to the lingering ear infection.  It's getting better but still nagging.  Probably try to get out Thursday morning if I get a decent night sleep.

Running for TJ because he can't.