Beginners and Beyond

An Impromptu 5k Race Report (Read 60 times)

LRB

I completed my fourth 5k of the year today in 19:32.

When laying out this seasons racing schedule last winter, today's planned run was actually some tempo repeats and hill sprints, which would have held true until this past Wednesday when I saw temps predicted in the 40's for this morning.  Say what?!

Being the cold weather 'ho runner that I am, I just could not pass up the opportunity despite having raced a 10k last Saturday (6:31 overall pace) and a tough but solid interval workout Tuesday (2.3 miles at 5:53).

With those variables in mind, my goal objective today was simply to do as best I could under the circumstances which I thought would be favorable with a race start temp of 44 degrees.  Most of all though I knew I would have to be content with whatever my race time was.  The latter being easier said than done but surprisingly I am okay with everything except the slightly long course (3.17 miles), but those things happen.

My warmup was 3.5 miles which included a quarter mile at 6:30, one 19 second controlled sprint and some running drills: high knees, butt kicks, quick feet and toy soldiers.

I arrived at the start line with about 8 minutes to spare and looking over the assembled lot I was unable to ascertain who the contenders might be (I am usually able to pick the top runners with uncanny accuracy).

This was a fundraising event (Race and Remember put on by Hospice of Michigan) so there was a lot of talk about that and instead of standing around as I may have done in events past I ran some light sprints (10 to 20 meters) to keep my legs from tightening up.

The announcer was in mid-speech about something when he looked at his watch and saw that is was 8:31, suddenly in an oh shit moment he inexplicably blew his horn.  We were all just kind of standing there like what was that, forcing him to yell go!  Go!

Okay, that was a strange start!

I found myself in front almost immediately which was weird but I was cool with it figuring the youngstas were just biding their time to gobble my old dried ass up.

I settled in at about 5:55 and remembered thinking I was okay with that.  The further we went that first mile the quieter it got, I could hear what sounded like maybe two or three runners but that was it (I never look behind me when racing).

I was the first to check in at mile 1 doing so in 6:00 flat.  This is where the thought that I might have a chance to win first briefly crossed my mind.

The race was an out and back along downtown Detroit's riverfront and at the turnaround I was the only runner.  There was a lot of wind coming off the water which may or may not have played a part in my pace at that time which was 6:24.

I am uncertain as to why that was as I felt I was running with the same effort as I did the first mile, but even then I didn't really change my effort much.

The lack of anyone around for such a long stretch may have played a part in that as I was completely alone for a good portion of the first half of the race.  Or, it could have simply been that was all I had to give on this day, I have no idea.

There was a series of sharp turns going into and coming out of the turnaround and just shortly after I began the trek back a pair of runners appeared at what I guessed to be about 7 to 8 seconds behind me.  They were much younger than I and I figured I better step it up at bit which I did with relative ease oddly.

My mile 2 split was 6:20, and along the way the runners still going out were clapping and cheering as I approached which I found pretty cool.  I remember thinking in my head I probably should wave or something but was in a bit of distress there to even lift an eyelid, let alone an entire hand!  One even asked how far he had to go to turn around, what?!  I didn't even bother to look up at his silly butt as I ain't got no time for words during a race (double negative intended).

I found myself alone again after the big wave of runners passed but despite not hearing footsteps nearby I maintained the cadence and effort I was at.  Good thing too as I would later learn the second and third place runners spent the entire second half of the race "running me down" but that I "kept pulling away" so they were unable to gain any substantial ground prompting one of them to proclaim, "I totally couldn't figure that out".  Yeah, I only look young my man, I am actually a cagey old vet...or working on becoming one.

My mile 3 split was 6:12 and remember thinking I probably could have run the entire race much faster, but for whatever reason my mind and body conspired to run the pace that it did.

The fourth place finisher ran in second place the entire first mile and noted afterwards that I seemed to be running comfortably.  I suppose there could be some truth to that as maybe I ran just hard enough to secure my place in the field based on how the race unfolded.

In the end I earned my first 5k overall win to go with a 10k and 1 mile overall win (both last year).

Though my finishing time was 1:15 off my personal best, it was a good solid effort (6:10 overall pace) coming in the midst of a tough week of racing and training.

We can only race who shows up and today I just happened to be the fastest of those who did and offer no apologies for that.  I will however apologize for this long ass race report!

As I have always said though whether with 50 responses or only 5, race reports are about reflecting on your performance and putting it in perspective and are thus an important part of training.  Now that I have done that I will finally and mercifully bid you adieu.

Thanks for your time!

DavePNW

Tremendous race, congrats on the huge win! How 'bout some pics of the Stanley Cup-sized trophy you probably brought home?

So did it feel different to you running as the leader trying to stay ahead, rather than trying to catch others? Or do you just race your race regardless of the competitors?

Dave

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Congrats Rick! Great job on your first 1st place (in the 5k)!

- Andrew

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

First OA is always nice, especially when unexpected as infrequently as they come for most of us.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

So did it feel different to you running as the leader trying to stay ahead, rather than trying to catch others? Or do you just race your race regardless of the competitors?

There was a definite difference in protecting what you have as opposed to just running your race.  Of course I could be completely wrong in that regard having only lead a few times in my time running so there is that.

The "trophy" is unremarkable, but the knowledge in the fact that I crossed the line first more than makes up for that.

PADRunner

So you just happened upon a 5k and decided to run it. And WON IT!

Great report. Congrats!

Hip Redux

WHAT!  Awesome.  

I chuckled at the announcer stopping mid-speech to start the race.  Time management, folks.

B-Plus

Congrats on the win! Must be cool to run at the front.

Zelanie

maybe I ran just hard enough to secure my place in the field based on how the race unfolded.

Sounds like exactly that.  Impropmptu race mid-training, and you had and were holding the lead?  Awesome!  If I were your legs, I wouldn't want to speed up either.

Congrats on the win, speedy!

Just B.S.

Congrats to your old dried up ass. Those youngsters underestimated their competition today and you

ran a good race with well deserved results. You are having a great year.  Time to bask, for at least a daySmile

Baboon

delicate flower

Three race wins to your credit now.  That is pretty awesome, man!  That has really got to be a cool and weird feeling to be running in first place the entire race.

I guess we'll call this a good workout then?

<3

#artbydmcbride

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!   Congratulations! 

Runners run

LRB

Congrats to your old dried up ass.

lol  thanks!

O, that start was the weirdest thing ever!

Thanks Drew!

Boon this will definitely be looked at as a race effort.  Too often in our pursuit of PR's we underestimate just how tough dialing up and sustaining a PR effort is.

PAD I had my choice of two 5k's which were of equal distance from my home but chose this one because I am familiar with the course, and for once I didn't screw it up!

George it would have been nice to come during a PR effort but a win is indeed rare and I will gladly take it!

BP I spend hours upon hours running in first place in my head while training so it was kind of familiar territory for as strange as that may sound.

Zel yep, I had more in the tank I just didn't tap into it.  Boo.  Maybe next time?

I'll take a large bottle of Franks Red Hot sauce with that Ilene.  "I put that sh*t on everything!". 

Congratulations on the victory. Definitely another mindset, running to ensure first place as opposed to time (not that I will experience it) .  Couldn't happen to better dude who put his time in during the winter with all those cold day runs.

A cagey old vet like Meb!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

outoftheblue

Love it -- the cagey old vet strikes again!!   Congrats on the OA win and, especially, for not letting those whippersnappers run you down.

Life is good.