Beginners and Beyond

NC24 - 12 Hours of Running (Read 111 times)

LRB

I'm almost hesitant to try another because this one was so great. I don't know if that makes sense...

It makes perfect sense, you go out on top.  Professional athletes (baseball, football, basketball and hockey) do it all the time after a great run in the playoffs or a championship.

Thinking back on your training run struggles, it all paid off on race day.  That is all any of us can ask, regardless of the distance.

Congrats on a nice addition to your running resume!

SheCan

George,

Congratulations for doing this race.  What a wonderful RR you've written.  I'm so glad Banshee and Resparkle were there to be such good friends to you.  Love the picture picture of all three of you (OMG @ how strong RedSparkle looks!)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

RabbitChaser

Congratulatons, George! Great RR, it provided a lot of insight. NC24 sounds like a great event. I bet you would have a blast on a non-technical trail 50K.

Great report, George, and congratulations again.

That is one heck of an accomplishment, and it's always good to read about how supporting and positive the ultra runners are.

Love the Half

JFK is a 50 miler with a very technical 13 mile section on the AT, then the rest is Towpath running.

George, if you want to travel to visit your family in IL, that could be an ideal place for an easier trail 50K.  I can think of a few off the top of my head, but Amanda is very involved in the Chicago ultra scene and would be a great resource as well.  Also, if you felt like popping into the Trailer Trash forum, we have a huge group of runners in the PA area.

I stand corrected.  I thought JFK had a 50 mile and a 50K.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Hip Redux

There is so much to like about this post and thread.  Congrats, George!!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Another photo: chief guardian angel with me the next morning

Laura and I

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Great job, George.  Smile  It made my day when you yelled at me, "I'm an ultra marathoner" with a huge smile plastered on your face.  One of the best memories of the race for me.

We have a 50K here in early March called the Green Jewel.  It's a point-to-point and it's run on an asphalt bike trail through the Cleveland Metroparks.  Bob! has done it before and could fill you in.  It does have hills, and weather can definitely be iffy that time of year, but I think it all paved - no trail.

Hip Redux

Is the weather in Cleveland ever anything other than "iffy"?  lol   (Mr.O went to Case, so I've heard all about Cleveland weather....)

I have it on good authority from a know-it-all on RWOL that we only have beautiful weather for running here in September.  :P

We get roughly 60" of snow a year (a lot more falls in the eastern suburbs, I live near the airport), and it tends to stick around because it is cold.  Snow is a risk here from roughly Halloween through May 1.  Snowstorms that drop several inches as late as Tax Day are not rare.  The bulk falls between roughly Thanksgiving and April 15.  We've had blizzard-like weather on Thanksgiving that has cancelled the Turkey Trot.

Generally, the safest time to plan a goal race here would be April 20 - May 15, and then probably from roughly mid/late September to mid November.  But you run the risk of a hot day cropping up for your race except really during the snow season.  For example, just two weeks ago it was 81 at 5 AM.  Or, you could get nasty wind and rain like this weekend...

We like to say, "If you don't like the weather, wait fifteen minutes.  It will change."  It did that this year for NC24!

Hip Redux

Generally, the safest time to plan a goal race here would be April 20 - May 15, and then probably from roughly mid/late September to mid/late November.  But you run the risk of a hot day cropping up for your race except really during the snow season.  

Yeah, he did the Cleveland marathon this year and complained about the heat on May 20 Joking

I did the 10K at Cleveland this year, and it was very warm and humid.  It was hot the year prior too.  It's about a week or two late, but I guess they don't want to compete with the Flying Pig, Glass City, or hold it on Mother's Day.

This year I think we did not have an unusually hot summer, but I think we set a record for most days in a row of rain and a record for the highest average low temp.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

... Or, you could get nasty wind and rain like this weekend...

We like to say, "If you don't like the weather, wait fifteen minutes.  It will change."  It did that this year for NC24!

Strange that you would say that because the weather really wasn't a factor for me. It was a little windy coming down the hill toward the finish, but otherwise I barely noticed it.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Congratulations George..great report thank you for sharing it..

Supersono99

George, I'm so happy you met your ultimate goal, even if the time was unofficial on the 50th mile. You look so great in all of the photos, I had no idea you were struggling. Congratulations on your accomplishment! I'm looking forward to meeting you in January! Especially if you bring fudge Smile