Beginners and Beyond

Kansas City area Runner Missing Since Monday (Read 177 times)

Will run for scenery.

FYP

Road ID's come in rainbow and unicorn colors.

Gosh, I didn't realize that !

Thanks for sharing that with us.

You guys and gals are all so swell.

OMG!  Lets have a group hug !!!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Birdwell

Gosh, I didn't realize that !

Thanks for sharing that with us.

You guys and gals are all so swell.

OMG!  Lets have a group hug !!!

my mom told me not to hug strangers. . . . .

(running related: I don't know how, but when I  got my first road id, i didn't realize you could get them in anything but black. After I lost my first on one [my 2 year old hid it] I went to order a new one, and found the fantastic array of colors they had. I got red. and I put a dumb quote on it, in addition to the pertinent health info)

Any updates on the cause of death?

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I worked as a paramedic for many years before becoming a PA (now working in an ER).  I've seen more than a few incidents where pedestrians (walkers and runners alike) have been hit by cars.  Just assume your shoes are going to come off and anything attached will be lost.  This goes for keys, ID tags, Nike foot pods or whatever they are etc...

Keep the foot tag for its reflective value.  But don't assume it will be helpful as a form of ID or emergency contact information.

So would you suggest one worn on the wrist or a dog tag style around the neck?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

So would you suggest one worn on the wrist or a dog tag style around the neck?

Either would work.

Prehospital medical providers (EMTs, Paramedics) are trained to look for medic alert tags which can be worn either as a necklace or as a bracelet.  A brightly coloured wrist band or dog tag style device would attract attention and be noticed sooner than anything attached to a shoe would be.

With that being said, keeping any wrist worn ID off of one's watch band would certainly be better.  I understand it can be desirable to put a RoadID or similar on one's watchband to help reduce "wrist clutter".  However, once the watch is taken off it'll be treated as a watch.  People won't look very closely at it.  That can lead to missed or drastically delayed identification.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

slowrunningjulie

I have always heard that paramedics check your phone for an emergency contact. I have my husband designated as I.C.E. for that reason. Is this true?

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

A lot of folks use a password on their smart phones, so paramedics wouldn't be able to view the contact list anyhow.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Any updates on the cause of death?

+1

Randy

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I have always heard that paramedics check your phone for an emergency contact. I have my husband designated as I.C.E. for that reason. Is this true?

No.  Generally speaking it is not true.  Paramedics don't have time to be bothered with that.  If you are so incapacitated that you can't talk to us our attention will be directed at caring for you... not at digging through your phone.

This is not to say having an I.C.E. contact designated is a bad thing.  The people who will be looking for this information will either be the police or hospital staff.  Of course, as VWaldoGuy noted, this will be complicated by the fact that so many people use a password to protect their phone access.

It's an excellent question, though.  Many people are under the impression that EMTs and paramedics will look in a phone for an emergency contact.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Love the Half

I'm not carrying a fucking phone.  I did it once.  I dropped my car at the local Monro shop to get the oil changed.  My folks, who watch my youngest during the day, met me there and dropped me off at work.  It's about 7 miles from work back to the Monro shop so I just brought my running clothes with me.  Since I didn't want to drive back to the office, I put my phone in a baggie and carried it with me.  Hated it.  Just like I hate carrying water.  Mind you, I've had plenty of folks tell me I'm going to die from dehydration because I don't carry water even on the hottest of days but hell, everybody gotta die some time.  I don't like carrying stuff with me and it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I'll grant that Road ID is probably a good idea so at least the emergency personnel would know who to contact.  I used to have one but lost it and I probably ought to get another.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The Facebook running club that I frequent recently had a runner go down at a HM.  There were multiple ways to ID him.  First, the bib.  Race directors have your emergency contact info.  He also had his info on his shoe.  He had also written it on his bib, and had his phone on him.  The heat got to him, and he woke up in the hospital without his clothes, phone, bib or shoes.  They had him listed as John Doe, and left all of his stuff at the race.  This happened at mile 12, and his wife had been waiting hours at the finish line for him.  It took even longer to locate where he was.

So, even at a race with ID all over your body, the EMT's are not necessarily going to do a damn thing to figure out who you are or contact your family.  Accept it.  When you go down, you're on your own.  You medical history better be tattooed on your forehead if it's important to you.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

The Facebook running club that I frequent recently had a runner go down at a HM.  There were multiple ways to ID him.  First, the bib.  Race directors have your emergency contact info.  He also had his info on his shoe.  He had also written it on his bib, and had his phone on him.  The heat got to him, and he woke up in the hospital without his clothes, phone, bib or shoes.  They had him listed as John Doe, and left all of his stuff at the race.  This happened at mile 12, and his wife had been waiting hours at the finish line for him.  It took even longer to locate where he was.

So, even at a race with ID all over your body, the EMT's are not necessarily going to do a damn thing to figure out who you are or contact your family.  Accept it.  When you go down, you're on your own.  You medical history better be tattooed on your forehead if it's important to you.

That's exactly what cookiemonster said earlier - and that the Road ID attached to your wrist is unlikely to be something that comes off, however.   (I was triaged the same way and had all my clothes cut off in the ER - my RoadID was left on my wrist.)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good to know.  I really like the idea of Road ID, and my plan is to order one eventually (procrastinating).  The more I think about it though, I wonder if the medic alert bracelets might be a better way to go.  EMT's have seen those for decades, and everybody knows what they are.  It's hard for me to imagine that they wouldn't check it immediately, and take note of the information.

That's exactly what cookiemonster said earlier - and that the Road ID attached to your wrist is unlikely to be something that comes off, however.   (I was triaged the same way and had all my clothes cut off in the ER - my RoadID was left on my wrist.)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

Good to know.  I really like the idea of Road ID, and my plan is to order one eventually (procrastinating).  The more I think about it though, I wonder if the medic alert bracelets might be a better way to go.  EMT's have seen those for decades, and everybody knows what they are.  It's hard for me to imagine that they wouldn't check it immediately, and take note of the information.

Anything like that seems like it would do the trick.  Cookiemonster also said dog tags would work - I'm guessing if it's obviously an ID and isn't on a piece of clothing or likely to fall off, it would suffice.

While I was in the ambulance, the EMTs were commenting on how more wrist-IDs like the RoadID they've been seeing on cyclists (also I made a mental note that they must see a lot of cyclists!).  So they definitely noticed it.    I went home in a hospital gown,  not much else survived the ordeal.  Roll eyes

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The Road IDs are cheap, stop procrastinating, Awood!

Damaris