Beginners and Beyond

RR: Fredericksburg, TX Wildflower 5K (Read 45 times)

robinde

Hey Ya'll Smile  Just got back to Vermont from Texas.  Did you miss me?  Anyway, while I was away, I participated in my first 5K of 2013.  I signed up with my brother.  The picture below is him and I before the race.

I met Scottdawg from RA.  He's super nice and very much the social butterfly.

I went into this race hoping for a time of something under 32:00.  My last 5K was in Dec and my time was 33:13.  I figured I could do better since I've been training for a HM, although I've felt like my fitness has declined some since I ran my practice HM a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, the weather was great and I was eager to run this race.  We had a little hiccup at the beginning of the race.  We all ran the wrong way.  I'm not sure how far off course we went because I don't wear any kind of GPS gadgets.  Looking at the map, we might have gone off course about 1/4 mile total.  My brother set an aggressive pace for me, but I was determined to keep up.  He is a fireman and keeps in good condition, but he's not a runner.  So I was surprised that he was able to push me so hard.  At about the mile 2 marker, I asked him if we could slow up a bit.  He refused.  Told me to keep my head up and suck in some air and I'd be fine.  I did as I was told and kept going at his pace.  Close to the last 1/2 mile or so, he told me to pick it up a notch.  Honestly, I didn't really think I had any kick in me.  I talked him into holding off for one more block and then I let him pick it up.

I was so focused on keeping up with my brother that I forgot to look at the clock on the way by.  I kept saying, "Did anyone get a look at my time?"  My husband was clueless.  I doubled back to see what the clock said and it read 29ish minutes.  I couldn't believe it.  That means I killed my goal.  I had to wait until the next day to get my official results.  The final official results were: 28:38, 3rd in my AG, 21st overall female, and 46th overall.  There were 300+ participants in the 5K portion of the race.  I'm a bit bummed about the misdirection at the beginning because I think my time might have been in the 27's.  At any rate, I've made some real progress since Dec. and I wouldn't have known it if my brother hadn't been there to push me.  I got a real feel for what it means to race.

Hip Redux

Holy crap, that's 4 minutes faster than you were expecting.  Big grin  How 'bout them apples!  Nice work!

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Nice job!  Congrats!  Did you get some bling-bling for your AG placement?

And very nice outfit!

B-Plus

Congrats on a great finishing time and AG placing. Sorry about the misdirection.

GinnyinPA

Terrific run.  Now you'll have totally different expectations for yourself.  it's fun to stretch our limits.  Congratulations!

robinde

Nice job!  Congrats!  Did you get some bling-bling for your AG placement?

And very nice outfit!

Thanks.  They are mailing it.  They didn't give them out on race day due to the course mixup.  At least I think thats the reason.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awesome job!  And again, as I've told you before, excellent taste in clothes! Big grin

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Woo hoo! Way to kill your goals!!! Love the outfit....that shirt is perfect for a "Wildflower" race! That sucks sucks sucks about the misdirection Sad. Awesome though that you got to FE with scottydawg!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Nice job!  Good for your brother for pushing you.  Congrats on the AG!!!

happylily

Congratulations! You did great and you look fabulous in your inknburn!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Wow, gratz on the AG award and excellent time.  You now know the difference between running a race vs racing a race.  The latter hurts, but is short lived given the satisfaction of a PR.  Running a race involves pain, but its hard to self inflict more by pushing ones self.  Kudos to you sibling for pushing you.  Undoubtedly you will get 27 next time if you push the pain level one more time.

Dad on the run.

That's an incredible difference between your Goal and your actual time. 4 minutes is a huge deal! A HUGE congratulations to you and keep up the great work!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

You killed your goal time, congratulations!

It was very nice meeting you and your brother!  Glad you enjoyed the race, even with the mix-up.  Yes, no awards given on race day, they were trying to unscramble everything from the mix-up and it took them quite a while!   At first someone told me it would be considered a fun-run cuz of the mixup but then someone else said awards would be mailed after they got everything straightened out.   So congrats on your AG award and hope you get your medal soon!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

robinde

Wow, gratz on the AG award and excellent time.  You now know the difference between running a race vs racing a race.  The latter hurts, but is short lived given the satisfaction of a PR.  Running a race involves pain, but its hard to self inflict more by pushing ones self.  Kudos to you sibling for pushing you.  Undoubtedly you will get 27 next time if you push the pain level one more time.

+1

Prior to this race, I hadn't considered actually racing.  I'd assumed I'd always be a slow runner and could only do them for fun.  My brother helped me see that the real fun is in the race.  I'm definitely going to have to dig deep to push myself or find a local person to take my brothers place Smile

robinde

Awesome job!  And again, as I've told you before, excellent taste in clothes! Big grin

I'm a total Inknburn junkie.  I lost my job this week, so I'm going to have to be happy with what I have for now.  I have almost their entire women's inventory on my wish list.