Beginners and Beyond

Before and After (Read 222 times)

happylily

I have had to be careful about this. Once I realized how relatively easy it was for me to lose weight (eat less, eat whole food sources, move more, cut out soda, and limit alcohol) I couldn't understand why others weren't doing the same thing. I'd want to ask them why they were drinking calories, or watching tv 8 hours a day. But, my wife counseled me on this a little. She helped me see that what I had actually developed was discipline. While I may be disciplined in this area of my life, there are other things I'm not so great at.

So while it's easy for me to say, "Drop the donut, fatty!" I realized pretty quickly that I don't have it all figured out, and there are other areas in which I struggle. It's just that nutrition and exercise don't seem to be that for me right now.

That's a great answer!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

My wife's a smart lady. Smile

That's a great answer!

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good answer!

Knowing how I can gain 10lbs in 2 weeks without a food reason but rather by my medication and/or hormone issues, I don't judge others in their quest to lose weight (or not).  I don't know their circumstances and what is impeding their loss.  Yes, most of us lack the discipline to lose the weight, but others have a harder road to travel.

Damaris

Gator eye

Yes there is a degree of personal responsibility involved but with the food industry shoving a perverted image of what healthy is down our throats how can we expect anything different?

Mostly harmless

It's hard not to judge people.  Where I work there are a lot of people that are very overweight.  Some of those folks have access to motorized scooters to get around the building and/or have handicapped parking permits but their only visible "handicap" is being obese.  I try not to judge but I must admit that there are times when I look at these folks and think things like "I didn't know being fat was a handicap".  I'm sure this makes me a terrible person but I'm just being honest.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Just B.S.

It's hard not to judge people.  Where I work there are a lot of people that are very overweight.  Some of those folks have access to motorized scooters to get around the building and/or have handicapped parking permits but their only visible "handicap" is being obese.  I try not to judge but I must admit that there are times when I look at these folks and think things like "I didn't know being fat was a handicap".  I'm sure this makes me a terrible person but I'm just being honest.

I applaud you for being honest Scott and I admit I have probably had those thoughts in the past.

However after working for 3 years with a government agency that provided support to disabled adults,

I had my eyes  opened to the many types of disabilities that can terribly difficult to live with, cause a lot

of pain and therefore the lack of ability to exercise and that often have no visible indicators that laypersons

could pick up on.

Not saying all overweight or obese people have a disability of any type (other than being obese) and

I know my fair share of those who are very overweight simply through overeating and not exercising. Even

for those  folks I feel badly that they don't know how much better their life could be if they were a normal

size.

happylily

When I see people eating like pigs and doing everything they can to avoid exercise, I shake my head in disbelief. But then, I remind myself that I lacked the discipline to go back to college, after I gave birth to my daughter at 21. Instead, I went to work immediately after giving birth and have been earning a mediocre income all of my life, due to my lack of discipline and my unwillingness to go through a few tough years. So who the hell am I to judge those people who are having a hard time with their weight loss?

Zelanie

So while it's easy for me to say, "Drop the donut, fatty!" I realized pretty quickly that I don't have it all figured out, and there are other areas in which I struggle. It's just that nutrition and exercise don't seem to be that for me right now.

Great answer.  Food and exercise was one area in my life that I let get away from me for many years.  And for a while I had enough other stuff going on that I really didn't feel like I had the mental energy left to get a handle on it.  The year that I lost most of my weight was a year when pretty much everything else in my life was stable.  I didn't move, change jobs, relationships were pretty stable, kid generally happy and more independent, etc.  Sure I could have turned things around sooner, but honestly I don't know that I would have been successful.  Plus I don't know that I really believed that I could actually lose the weight and keep it off.  I'm sure there are many people who don't have hope, and without hope, of course they're not going to turn things around.

Also, just because you see somebody who is 100 pounds overweight doesn't mean that they haven't already lost 150 lbs.  You just don't know.

Now, do I wish DH would commit more fully to being healthy?  Of course I do!  But as far as everybody else, they could very well be me, just at another point in their life.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

And just to reiterate, nudes are fine here.  We're all family.

Wink

Randy

happylily

Great answer.  Food and exercise was one area in my life that I let get away from me for many years.  And for a while I had enough other stuff going on that I really didn't feel like I had the mental energy left to get a handle on it.  The year that I lost most of my weight was a year when pretty much everything else in my life was stable.  I didn't move, change jobs, relationships were pretty stable, kid generally happy and more independent, etc.  Sure I could have turned things around sooner, but honestly I don't know that I would have been successful.  Plus I don't know that I really believed that I could actually lose the weight and keep it off.  I'm sure there are many people who don't have hope, and without hope, of course they're not going to turn things around.

Also, just because you see somebody who is 100 pounds overweight doesn't mean that they haven't already lost 150 lbs.  You just don't know.

Now, do I wish DH would commit more fully to being healthy?  Of course I do!  But as far as everybody else, they could very well be me, just at another point in their life.

Great post!

Mostly harmless

Wink

Greater post!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

We all see things differently. I am not more or less judgy of people because of my change. I have dropped 100 lbs, but I also know that it can come back. At the age of 34 I have dropped over 100lbs twice. I did it in my early 20's and then gained it back and then its going away again.

Growing up a fat kid wasnt cool and its probably less cool now. Being a fat adult isnt as uncool, but me being a crappy parent is uncool to me. Thats why I plan to keep it off this time Smile

Most of my family has struggled with weight - mom, dad (former runner/current diabetic), lil sister, lil brother, wife, her parents, her uncle.

People have to find some sort of motivation from within in order to get started and stick with it. I know that both times I lost weight, I started running in the dark so that others couldnt see me do it. Its easy for a runner who is disciplined to say drop the snickers and take your ass around the block. Thats the same as a rich dude telling me to quit my job and find a way to make more money. Life does not work that way.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Wink

You know you could PM Dave with your request.

You people have issues 

You know you could PM Dave with your request.

seriously - you request pictures of dudes here?

wow-

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Hip Redux

seriously - you request pictures of dudes here?

wow-

That's the "and beyond" part of the forum.