Beginners and Beyond

Trying my hand at the race director gig (Read 163 times)

Love the Half

I'm RD of a race for the first time.  I have to admit more than a little bit of apprehension.  Still, I think I can put together a good race based on my racing experience.  The course is familiar and well marked as numerous community groups use it.  I have some folks working with me that are good with design and that know lots of area businesses so I think we'll get some decent t-shirts and some sponsorships.  Last year, everyone skedaddled after the race and no one stuck around for the awards.  Part of that was due to it starting at 9:00 and people have things to do.  This year, we've shifted it to 8:00 so that should help.  I'm game for ideas that would keep people from hopping in the car right after they finish.  Indeed, I'm game for any ideas.  Here's a link to the race.

Scott Teays Fall Into Fitness 5K

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Trail Monster

Door prize giveaways while awards are being figured out. Lots of food and drink. Maybe some live music. Making it kid friendly helps too. Then people aren't rushing off to pick up children. We have a clown come to ours and make balloon animals and such so people bring their kids.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Mmmmm...beer

Pretty much what banshee said. Smile  I always like live music after a race, feels more like a party.  Definitely a good selection of food and drink, with some healthy selections (bananas are easy and great after a race).  Most races I've been to lately have a short race for the kids, my 5yo loves 'em.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Start all the walkers at the event 5 minutes after the runners start.

Have volunteers right beyond the finish line handing out water to the finishers.  This is especially a nice touch for the slower people out on the course - like me, lol - who are out there longer.  After I cross the finish line of a race, I hate having to go look for water.  It's nice to have it RIGHT there when you finish.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Someplace to sit besides the ground (picnic tables would work).  Food and music -- but not such loud music that people cannot convere without yelling.  Activities or a playground to keep the kids busy.

I see that the run is associated with an elementary school.  If it's appropriate, how about asking the art teacher to have students make posters with a running or fitness theme, and after the race giving out small awards for the best posters?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wave Pool? Sounds like there may be some incentive to stick around if that and other activities are open to runners and families.

One reason many don't stay for the awards is the length of time it takes to compile them then have them further delayed by all sorts of speeches. If you can streamline that process, it should encourage people to stay. With a 5K start time of 8:15, you should have all the results compiled by 9:15 even doing it manually with the possible exception of the oldest AGs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Awards I will stick around for:

Pie (home cooked preferrably)

Beer

Money

A hand painted plate some old lady took time to make

Pint glass

A giant cookie

LRS gift certificate

Shoes

Awards I will not stick around for:

Plastic gold running man trophy

Shoe with wings trophy

Lucite rectangle trophy

Medal

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

One reason many don't stay for the awards is the length of time it takes to compile them then have them further delayed by all sorts of speeches. If you can streamline that process, it should encourage people to stay. With a 5K start time of 8:15, you should have all the results compiled by 9:15 even doing it manually with the possible exception of the oldest AGs.

Yeah, what George said.  AND..please start with the OLD folks first at the awards....we don't have as much time left as the younger folks..., so at least if we keel over, we'll have our awards in hand... Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

TakeAHike

I like the 8AM start, but it may cut both ways.  My 11yo daughter might join me for a 9AM race, but she won't get up for an 8AM race.

+1 to George's comments.  Keep the speeches and awards ceremony short and sweet.

Also, realize that some runners will sign up knowing that they have a conflict and will need to leave immediately after the race.   There is nothing you can do to encourage them to stay.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Love the Half

Thanks for the input so far folks.  Beer is not an option as we're in a county park and, unfortunately, the pool is closed by that time of the year.  There's a 1K fun run for the kids at 8:00 with the 5K starting at 8:15.  The idea was to finish the 1K before the 5K begins as some of the parents who register in the 5K want to run in the 1K with their children.

I like door prizes while we're calculating awards.

I love the idea of some kind of arts for the kids.

I like a clown as well.  Good stuff for the kids while the 5K is being run.

I would never have thought about passing out water at the finish.  I'd have just stuck it in a cooler.

I agree completely about how long it takes to compile award information.  I'll work with the timing company (it's a popsickle stick timed race) to figure out how to make that as quick as possible.

We're giving awards for oldest runner, runner who traveled the farthest for the race, and family with the most entrants.  I'd like to be creative for those awards so if you have ideas, cool.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

How many runners are you hoping for as suggestions may be different for a small crowd?

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

I love the idea of some kind of arts for the kids.

I like a clown as well.  Good stuff for the kids while the 5K is being run.

We're giving awards for oldest runner, runner who traveled the farthest for the race, and family with the most entrants.  I'd like to be creative for those awards so if you have ideas, cool.

Clowns do freak some people out.  What about contacting a local company or school that has a mascot and talking them into coming?

You could give a door prize to the person who finishes in 42nd place, since 42 is the answer to the question of the meaning of life, according to Douglas Adams.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

A good live band is always nice. At my last race they had some local band of hooligans playing and ther were crap. They were far more annoying than entertaining. If you can't get a band, maybe you can get a decent sound system somewhere and someone can just play some fun music on an ipod or something.

bobruns

Door prizes always works for me...Wink (even though I NEVER win!)  I really don't think they have to be pricey either.  People just like to win something...

I also really agree with the "water at the finish line" suggestion.  It is really nice to be HANDED a nice cold BOTTLE of water at the end of a run.

Luke79

I'm RD of a race for the first time.  I have to admit more than a little bit of apprehension.  Still, I think I can put together a good race based on my racing experience.  The course is familiar and well marked as numerous community groups use it.  I have some folks working with me that are good with design and that know lots of area businesses so I think we'll get some decent t-shirts and some sponsorships.  Last year, everyone skedaddled after the race and no one stuck around for the awards.  Part of that was due to it starting at 9:00 and people have things to do.  This year, we've shifted it to 8:00 so that should help.  I'm game for ideas that would keep people from hopping in the car right after they finish.  Indeed, I'm game for any ideas.  Here's a link to the race.

Scott Teays Fall Into Fitness 5K

As far as not leaving right after the finish....AG and OA awards are compelling enough for a lot of runners to stick around.  The earlier start should help with that.  Of course the usual refreshments will be a help as well.

What Philliefan said about the music.  It would be great to have a DJ, but don't crank that shit so loud like you're in a nightclub because as you know, it's all about talking to fellow runners and hanging out.

Good luck Mr. RD Smile