Beginners and Beyond

Legs feel Beat up in Certain spots (Read 349 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I didn't run my long run this weekend, I was going to hit 9 miles but I decided to take this weekend as a recovery (Saturday I went for a 3 mile walk). Friday night I ran 5 miles, and afterwards for some reason my glutes and hamstrings felt sore like I had just done a lot of squats and lunges instead of running  Sad . I have to admit that last Sunday, after running 8 miles Saturday I decided to do quite a bit of squats and lunges (regular and reverse), and felt it during my Monday 5 miler but not during my tempo run on Wednesday where I broke an hour. Thursday I did do some squats and regular lunges but half of what I had done Sunday. The reason I didn't run this weekend was because my quads are feeling sore, but one particular spot feels like it's bruised, like someone had punched it hard. It only really hurts if I have to squat down (which is a lot when you have a baby) or during the first 20 minutes of my 5 mile run tonight . It just feel sore, would the foam roller and icing help, along with some stretching?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

RSX

Have you been doing squats, and lunges long? Maybe you overdid it lately. I never did lunges, but tried squats when I had runner's knee a while ago. Running the next day or 2 always felt sore in my quads no matter what weight, or how good/bad my technique was. I went to weight machines 100% for my legs after and did better. Lots of people rave about lunges/squats, but I just knew they weren't for me.

As far as what would help, I would answer all of the above to your 3 suggestions at the end.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Have you been doing squats, and lunges long? Maybe you overdid it lately. I never did lunges, but tried squats when I had runner's knee a while ago. Running the next day or 2 always felt sore in my quads no matter what weight, or how good/bad my technique was. I went to weight machines 100% for my legs after and did better. Lots of people rave about lunges/squats, but I just knew they weren't for me.

As far as what would help, I would answer all of the above to your 3 suggestions at the end.

I haven't  been doing them as much as I used to, before I got pregnant and after giving birth. AND I always seem to have issues when I increase my mileage past 6 miles, and I don't drop my sets and reps of squats and lunges. Normally I won't have too much issue if I do a couple sets of each, with reps around 12 or 20 on the days that I run my easy miles BUT I think my mistake was made when I did double the sets the day after my long run, and then the day after my tempo run even though the sets weren't as many. 
          I think I am really hard headed with this because I fear losing my butt with more running, so I try to keep up with my squats to keep my perky butt........... it can be irritating.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

...you can do sidebends or situps, but please don't lose that butt! :-P

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Run hills...great for the butt tone, and, if you believe in Brad Hudson, a magic elixir for injury prone runners. This is my first marathon cycle using Hudson, and I have to say I've never felt better physically. He's not just a marathon guy and has lots for 5k and 10k runners too.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

...you can do sidebends or situps, but please don't lose that butt! :-P

+1

I'm fairly new to running, but I would try using the foam roller and stretching. The combination of those two has done wonders for me. Just make sure you don't overdo the foam roller or else it could hurt even worse.

Also,  you mentioned having issues when running longer than 6 miles. It could be that your weekly mileage isn't enough to support a longer long run. I try to stick to keeping my long run no more than 1/3 of my total mileage.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, I am going to have that stuck in my head now.

No, increasing my mileage isn't the issue, the issue is I don't decrease my sets of squats and lunges and I tried doing these squats and lunges the day after my long run when I should have been taking it easy and recovering. So far my mileage hasn't had any negative effects on me, I've been running my tempo runs at 6 miles  for about 2 and a half months I think, and my easy runs have been 5 miles for like 3 or 4 months. I've done two 8 mile long runs now and last weekend was going to be my 9 miler but I still felt sore and the weather was 25 degrees, raining and windy, I just didn't feel like going out so I took it as a recovery weekend. I think I am going to avoid doing any squats or lunges this week, ice, stretch and use my foam roller. Last night's 5 miler, my right quad was feeling sore in one particular spot for the first 2-3 miles though the 27 degrees wasn't helping my legs warm up at all, the soreness started going away but I really feel it when I get down to my left knee while interacting with my son, and then I try to push off or up from my right leg which looks like a regular lunge where you right leg is extended in front of you. I guess I just need to avoid that as much as possible.

I read too much FitnessRx and Oxygen Magazine for Women, I love those ladies' physiques but I don't think they are running 8 miles or more........ darn it.

PRs

Love the Half

We each have to decide what is important.  I frequently hear about the wonderful benefits of strength training but there is only so much time you have available for exercise and I think that if you want to be a better runner, the best thing you can do is to run more.  Now, if overall fitness is your goal, then strength training is very beneficial.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

We each have to decide what is important.  I frequently hear about the wonderful benefits of strength training but there is only so much time you have available for exercise and I think that if you want to be a better runner, the best thing you can do is to run more.  Now, if overall fitness is your goal, then strength training is very beneficial.

I'd have to choose running overall, my goal is 35 mpw (40 would be great someday, maybe a year or 2 from now). But I do enjoy strength training though I guess I won't be able to do quite as much lower body strength training as I'd like. I just want to ensure that my butt doesn't go away, I like it the way it is. I try to incorporate hills in just about all my runs, but mainly during the long run. I might try to do some routes during my easy runs that include stairs.

PRs

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You could try some hill sprints after your easy runs once or twice a week too, starting with 2 and working up to 8 hill sprints, 8-10 seconds in duration.

All this talk about your back side and I'm beginning to think we need a picture haha.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You could try some hill sprints after your easy runs once or twice a week too, starting with 2 and working up to 8 hill sprints, 8-10 seconds in duration.

All this talk about your back side and I'm beginning to think we need a picture haha.

LMAO, hmmm I might show a pic but right now I am feeling severely self-conscience (don't ask). As for the idea, yes that is a good idea............... 5 easy miles and then some hill sprints..... Are hill sprints better than running up stairs?

PRs

Love the Half

Hill sprints are great strength training.  I do them about twice a week.  (OK.  That's a blatant lie.  I always swear that I'm going to do them twice a week but I end up doing them more like 3 times a month).

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hill sprints are great strength training.  I do them about twice a week.  (OK.  That's a blatant lie.  I always swear that I'm going to do them twice a week but I end up doing them more like 3 times a month).

Lol, okay next question: Does it matter how steep the hill?

PRs

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

LMAO, hmmm I might show a pic but right now I am feeling severely self-conscience (don't ask). As for the idea, yes that is a good idea............... 5 easy miles and then some hill sprints..... Are hill sprints better than running up stairs?

I'm all for modesty, when used sparingly lol.  As for the hill, It just needs to be taller than you are Smile  Seriously though, a moderate hill is good...doesn't need to be a mountain, just something that you encounter on your regular runs and say, "hey, this is a hill."  I don't know if hills are better than stairs, but since we're runners and not stair racers, I feel like it's better to do something that's more like running.

happylily

I only run, nothing else. I'm 5'3" and 105 lbs when wet (18.5 BMI) and I still have a big butt. Don't worry, FreeSoul, if you already have a round butt, running won't take it away from you. Now your hips... that's another story. Big grin

As for beat up legs, that's how mine have felt for the last 5 years. You get used to it after a while. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010