Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES will succeed where all others have failed (Read 45 times)

LRB

On a completely unrelated note, I definitely should not be googling winter marathons.

Run Detroit.

meaghansketch

Run Detroit.

October isn't winter!

Looks like a good race, though.

(I'm not doing NYC because I didn't want to start training until at least September)

LRB

October isn't winter!

Looks like a good race, though.

(I'm not doing NYC because I didn't want to start training until at least September)

I know that's right!

For me the first week of December would be heaven to train for and race on.  As such I will be training in hell, for the first third of it anyway.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.2 for me today. Some Tempo paced mikes in there too.

Marjorie

outoftheblue

The dailies picture is very appropriate -- Last night I saw a mouse streaking across the floor.   They are sneaking in through the draining gate in the basement.  Time for a finer gauge wire and more mouse traps.

Some weights and maybe a couple of easy miles is all for me today.

Life is good.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Got out the door today but was just achy all over so I turned back after less than a minute... yesterday's 9 at MP took a bit more of a toll than I thought.  Will try for a few easy miles tonight.

On a completely unrelated note, I definitely should not be googling winter marathons.

Why not?  It's never too early for that.

Damaris

LRB

10.2 for me today. Some Tempo paced mikes in there too.

How is your hip these days?

I got 7 sets of dead lifts done at poundage I used to warm up with, now it is my working weight!  I am cool with it though as the life of a runner versus that of a weight lifter is entirely different.

In other news, I am working on a mini training plan for my first mile race next month.  It looks like hill sprints will win over a time trial, which is what I did last year the week before I completely shredded my mile PR to smithereens.

We shall see how things turn out this year.

DavePNW

Yeah well just this morning I was googling Spring 2015 marathons. True story. Doesn't take a training plan to google.

MTA: And no, one of them was not Boston. 

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

Meaghan - What are you looking for in a winter marathon? I've done 3: Houston (BIG! Flat. Fast. Conditions were perfect the day I ran it - 30s at the start, 60 at the finish, slight breeze), Tecumseh Trail Marathon in Indiana (Not big, DEFINITELY NOT flat or fast, but a ton of fun; conditions can vary - freezing and snow possible), and Icebreaker Indoor Marathon in Milwaukee (round and round and round and round.... no wind, no hills, constant 50*, unique experience).

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Yeah well just this morning I was googling Spring 2015 marathons. True story. Doesn't take a training plan to google.

On my wish list is Toronto (October), CIM (December) and Houston (January).

If I can ever manage to run those and qualify and run NYC you could powder me up and put me to sleep like a baby!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Yeah, but it doesn't mean you'll be trying to quality for Boston.

- Andrew

meaghansketch

Meaghan - What are you looking for in a winter marathon? I've done 3: Houston (BIG! Flat. Fast. Conditions were perfect the day I ran it - 30s at the start, 60 at the finish, slight breeze), Tecumseh Trail Marathon in Indiana (Not big, DEFINITELY NOT flat or fast, but a ton of fun; conditions can vary - freezing and snow possible), and Icebreaker Indoor Marathon in Milwaukee (round and round and round and round.... no wind, no hills, constant 50*, unique experience).

My wish list:

-No/minimal trails

-Not hillier than NYCM

-Between December and March

-Starting temps averaging around 35-40 F, ending no higher than around 60 F

-Easy to get to/get around without a car (so probably a metro area)

-Not too expensive to travel there from NYC

On my radar are Houston, CIM in Sacramento, and Kiawah Island in SC... would definitely appreciate any recommendations!

LRB

I would target CIM and do what I needed to do to make it happen.  If you're gonna BQ it's gonna be there for sheezy, or Houston.

StepbyStep-SH

I did enjoy Houston, though part of the appeal was that I ran it in 2012 (got to watch the Olympic Trials the day before) and my uncle and aunt live there, so they were my transportation, housing, and post-race babysitters. My uncle ran the half, also. The course is largely one big loop, not a lot of curves and turns, the only "hills" are a couple of overpasses and underpasses, and I think temps are typically right in the range you mentioned. I'm not sure how transportation is since I didn't have to deal with that at all. I flew in and out of Hobby (I think that's it?), which is a smaller airport closer to my uncle's house.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Hobby is one of five airports in the immediate area I beilieve.  Four for sure.